If we are in the hunt come July....

I know its far away but i can help to think ahead. Winning 6 of the last 7 and the way we have been winning, i've been even more excited about this season. Hopefully Sanchez and JJ comeback soon and we have our rotation set with Willis, Olsen, JJ, Mitre and Sanchez. The bullpen is awsome and with owens coming back even better. Once JJ and sanchez come back the moves nolasco and kim to the pen.

Now ith all that said we have two holes on this team CF and C.

The two CF that we might be able to get is Rocco Baldelli and a longshot Alex Rios (w/ Toronto having no shot)

I think Nolasco and another minor league player might be enough (specially for Baldelli)

But some would be satisfied with De Aza or Reggie/alfredo and would rather get a C

Lets say we offer Nolasco and another player, What Catcher is out there that we can trade for and that is good? Also he has to be on a team not going anywhere or who has a young stud catcher waiting in the minors?

Let me know what you guys think?

Lets relax here, just a few days ago we were swept by the nationals

thats what is awsome about baseball...one second people think the season is over and the next people think we are going to win the whole thing...

i love olivo but i think he is the most glaring weaakness right now...we can call up reed and have agreat defensive cf and our lineup can make up for his lack of offense...i would love a young catching spect to grow with this young team

thats what is awsome about baseball...one second people think the season is over and the next people think we are going to win the whole thing...

i love olivo but i think he is the most glaring weaakness right now...we can call up reed and have agreat defensive cf and our lineup can make up for his lack of offense...i would love a young catching spect to grow with this young team

Yep, and I will admit I get caught up in it sometimes. After the marlins were swept by the nationals and lost the first game to the pirates I was like great this is going to be a long season. Then they quickly turned it around.

As long as they hover around .500 until they get everyone back they will be in good shape.

Yep, and I will admit I get caught up in it sometimes. After the marlins were swept by the nationals and lost the first game to the pirates I was like great this is going to be a long season. Then they quickly turned it around.

As long as they hover around .500 until they get everyone back they will be in good shape.

Hermida coming back strong has been a huge sparkplug. When JJ comes back? Who knows. If he comes back strong, my guess is that if Mitre keeps doing what he has been doing and we are still contending Sergio will be dealt for a legitimate centerfielder.

I think De Aza will do fine in centerfield. Catcher should definitely be the #1 priority.

Getting the centerfielder we need would be much easier than getting the catcher we need. And even with De Aza back centerfield will remain a more glaring hole. But if my hypothetical plays out, we'll know better what we need to do now. My guess is that it will remain getting our CF.

I'm not really a big fan of acquiring a catcher mid season into the season....Olivo right now is very comfortable calling games for these pitchers as well as these pitchers throwing to him. I don't see us making any moves for the catcher but for a CFer I would be all in for.

Getting a CF would be much easier and I think we have to do it ASAP. Its hard enough to find a backup catcher in this league, let alone a starter. We can't have two blackholes in this lineup, our division is too tough. I still love our 1 through 6 so we can get by with one blackhole, imo.. and that looks to be olivo.. but not two black holes.

We need all of our pitchers, rotation and bullpen. If we can get someone Erstad-esque without disturbing our 25 man, we need to do it quickly so we can get a sense of continuity to finish out the season. Hes not special but damn, i get for not special right now. I like De Aza, but who knows? Bring in some competition for this year and next year.. we dont need CF as a position of strength, just something that we can feel throwing comfortable out ther everyday... not AAA players and utility IFs.

And let me just emphasize Olivo probably offers the least when comparing CF to C.. but finding a considerable upgrade at C will be very impossible.. and also, you can like de aza and still want to get a CF. De Aza offers speed and defense and contact.. his spot on this team in some sort of capacity in the future is safe.

I hate getting my hopes up in regards to players who arent on the team, but I think Kenny Lofton would be someone the mgmt could surprise us by trading for. Texas is on their way to being out of the race in short period.. hopefully we continue our good play and LB surprises us again and trades for someone when nobody expects it. He's owed 6 mil this year, texas would eat some and we probably wouldnt have to give up much. They need young pitching badly and would be stupid to not get anything out of him. So if we're in the WC chase, which i think we will be, id love it. Not earth-shattering but a positive energy boost with the same faces in the lineup. You could throw out many different lineups with him in there too. Just thinking outloud, for lack of a better term.

but realisticly what catchers could we get?

John Buck from the Royals? I'm kinda liking him just looking at the numbers. He's young (26) and has a career OPS of .719 and a minor league career OPS of .771. He's lighting it up this year, and you can't expect him to keep up his .976 OPS but he is 26, an age where power normally comes in. He's currently on pace for about 35 HRs...wouldn't be surprised if he finished with around 30. He had a high K/low walk thing going on, but right now he's on a pace for career high in walks and career low in K's (Still amost 2k's for every walk though). He's affordable, only making 440K this year. Nothing amazing, but shoud be a cheap buy considering 1) He was in a platoon position earlier in the year...not anymore but shows the Royals are fine with their other guy 2) The Royals need young pitching, badly 3) get Joey Gathright in the same trade? Not to fond of Gathright myself but some people have posted about him on here.

How's Buck defensively? I haven't seen a Royal's game.

If the Nats decide to start Flores, we could probably get Schnieder for cheap...he's a hole in the line up but he's also nice defensive-minded catcher. Also the Giants could move Bengie Molina if they are out of conention, to get reps for Alfonzo. He makes a lot of money over a long term ('09) though, so the Giants would have to eat a lot of it...which then means he'd come at an even bigger price. Eh should scratch Schnieder too, he's expensive over a long term.

Wouldn't mind grabbing Paulino/Doumit from the Pirates, and they'd probaly would be willing since they also have Walker coming up through their system. Both are affordable (Paulino=401k, Doumit=390k)

Then there's the Angels. Jose Molina's a possibility. His contract shouldn't be too rich (1.25m)...but he's a black hole in the lineup. Mike Napoli...affordable and young, but he's young-ness also probably makes him too rich trade wise. Just saw he's from Hollywood, FL though, that would be interesting. Also Jeff Mathis....just like Napoli. young, affordable, and probably too high of an asking price.

that's all I can think of

Hermida coming back strong has been a huge sparkplug. When JJ comes back? Who knows. If he comes back strong, my guess is that if Mitre keeps doing what he has been doing and we are still contending Sergio will be dealt for a legitimate centerfielder.

Why would you want to trade the guy while he's dealin?

Personally, I like De Aza in CF. If he can come back sometime in June I'd say let's give him a month to show us what he can do and then maybe pull the trigger late July and get a decent CFer if he doesn't do well enough.

It is very rare to find a catcher who will fill the defensive void of Olivo and be able to even hit .275. Olivo has one of the best arms in the league, he is durable, and he knows our pitching staff.

Olivo will come around and hit .240 - .250 this year with some power... that's about all you can ask for, right now.

Fix the CF problem and you have one guy that is hitting below .280 at season's end... I'll take that.

If we look at the potential free agents next year it seems that there is an influx of potential CF players on the market.

Now would the twins, braves, seattle all fall out of it you have 3 elite CFers that could be on the market. (Ichiro, Andruw Jones, Hunter). Do I think the marlins would get any of these 3 personally? No.

There are a few other options out there possibly but those are the big 3.

Now if the question would be would I want a moderate upgrade for half a season at catcher or CF? My answer would me CF for a moderate or big upgrade.

A pitcher and catcher get a working relationship switching in a new catcher could change that. Olivo has many poor qualities but some good ones as well.

Either way we need an upgrade at both positions for the long term.

but realisticly what catchers could we get?

John Buck from the Royals? I'm kinda liking him just looking at the numbers. He's young (26) and has a career OPS of .719 and a minor league career OPS of .771. He's lighting it up this year, and you can't expect him to keep up his .976 OPS but he is 26, an age where power normally comes in. He's currently on pace for about 35 HRs...wouldn't be surprised if he finished with around 30. He had a high K/low walk thing going on, but right now he's on a pace for career high in walks and career low in K's (Still amost 2k's for every walk though). He's affordable, only making 440K this year. Nothing amazing, but shoud be a cheap buy considering 1) He was in a platoon position earlier in the year...not anymore but shows the Royals are fine with their other guy 2) The Royals need young pitching, badly 3) get Joey Gathright in the same trade? Not to fond of Gathright myself but some people have posted about him on here.

How's Buck defensively? I haven't seen a Royal's game.

If the Nats decide to start Flores, we could probably get Schnieder for cheap...he's a hole in the line up but he's also nice defensive-minded catcher. Also the Giants could move Bengie Molina if they are out of conention, to get reps for Alfonzo. He makes a lot of money over a long term ('09) though, so the Giants would have to eat a lot of it...which then means he'd come at an even bigger price. Eh should scratch Schnieder too, he's expensive over a long term.

Wouldn't mind grabbing Paulino/Doumit from the Pirates, and they'd probaly would be willing since they also have Walker coming up through their system. Both are affordable (Paulino=401k, Doumit=390k)

Then there's the Angels. Jose Molina's a possibility. His contract shouldn't be too rich (1.25m)...but he's a black hole in the lineup. Mike Napoli...affordable and young, but he's young-ness also probably makes him too rich trade wise. Just saw he's from Hollywood, FL though, that would be interesting. Also Jeff Mathis....just like Napoli. young, affordable, and probably too high of an asking price.

that's all I can think of

Why would the Royals move Buck?

Schneider stinks

the Molina brothers are albatrosses

Neil Walker is moving to 3b I believe

I don't like the idea of bringing in a catcher that knows nothing about our pitching staff midseason. Granted Marlins did it a few years ago with Lo Duca, but he's an experienced guy so that was ok. I just think Olivo is comfortable with the pitching staff at this point, that we've made our bed when it comes to the catcher position. At least for this year. Just throwing it out there, but if(big if) Hayes continues his tear into August. Any chance he may gets the call?

I would go after a CF. I like the idea of adding a guy like Lofton, but the cost may be too much for a short term fix.