Rotoworld: Tankersley going down when Owens comes back

Henry Owens (shoulder) will make a rehab appearance with Single-A Jupiter on Tuesday.

Owens is around five days from returning from the disabled list.

Taylor Tankersley spoiled the Marlins' shutout bid on Sunday by retiring none of the three batters he faced Monday against the Cubs.

Tankersley allowed a walk and two singles to start the ninth in a 5-0 game, creating a save opportunity for Kevin Gregg. Gregg allowed both runners he inherited to score before finishing the inning, taking Tankersley's ERA to 6.89. At this rate, it's possible Tankersley will be sent down to make room for Henry Owens on the roster.

Way to play your way out of the big leagues, Tank. :thumbup

Guest FishFanInPA

Way to play your way out of the big leagues, Tank. :thumbup

He'll be back.....it's just temporary....it's not like he stinks.

I think Tank getting sent down will be good for him in the long run because he is having some trouble and needs to work it out where he will get more oppurunities with less pressure.

It doesn't matter if you're lefthanded or right handed if you're not getting the ball over the plate.

Exactly, it makes more sense to send Tank down than Gardner. Gardner isn't going to improve, but he can be a steady and consistent inning eater out of the pen. And for the most part hes been able to give us solid outings (sure philly lit him up but that happens to everyone)

Tanks needs to work on control and AAA is a good place for that where he wont be costing the marlins any games.

Tank can be useful as a situational lefty but that's it. If Fredi figures that out Tank will be okay.

Tank has too much talent and potential to just be a situational lefty. Its better to let him regain his control in the minors and bring him back later so he can help the team compete like like year. Thing is Tank is basically in spring training right now, he just needs to get work in and he'll be fine.

Say what you will of Tank as of late, but his breaking ball and Lindstrom's fastball are, IMO, the two best pitches in our entire pen.

Tank is in a bit of a funk but i'd still send down Messenger or Pinto before I send

down Tank down.

Messenger has a 2.91 ERA and Pinto has a 4.18 ERA. They have been much better than Tank. Thats dumb.

Tank also has had a ton of his runners allowed to score by other pitchers (Julio's walkoff grandslam, Amezaga's screw up yesterday).

ERA is a really poor evaluative stat for a reliever.

Just being put on the 40 burns option years?

That's pretty much the whole thing behind option years

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

Tank is in a bit of a funk but i'd still send down Messenger or Pinto before I send

down Tank down.

Messenger has a 2.91 ERA and Pinto has a 4.18 ERA. They have been much better than Tank. Thats dumb.

Meh, their ERA ain't telling the whole story. They are still very inconsistent and I don't trust

either one of them.

You guys are acting like Tank didn't have a control problem last year. He had a 7.8 BB/9 against rh last year (Nearly 1 walk per inn), and a 1.66 WHIP (Compared to his 1.10 against LHP).

He's still great against LH this year (0.84 WHIP), but struggling against RH again.

I think he was very overrated last year, he only worked 41 innings. I think he could deffinatly benefit time from the minors, not just for his recent mishaps (Which are being overstated, he's been bad his last couple outings but was doing well when he first came off the DL. You take out the bulls*** outing in Washington, when he warmed up, went through a rain delay, and then had to warm up/pitch after that in bad conditions, his numbers go down well) but looking at everything as a whole.

But if he gets sent down, our only LHP is...Pinto. Who recently has had a lot more problems then Tankersley.