Does Fredi Not Believe in Bullpen Roles?

vinivedivichi

Why does choosing who will come into tight games late seem like such a random process with him? I understand we have had a lot of injuries, but we have not established any bullpen roles to this point. No setup man, no closer, nothing. He seems to be a bit too willing to bring our less sturdy relievers into close ballgames. I don't get it.

Fredi drives me crazy with the way he uses his bullpen. I feel the team has suffered at times with his questionable moves. I hate the way he uses Lindstrom. I know Tank hasn't pitched well but he hasn't been able to adapt to any kind of role. Lets face it at an early review Fredi's management of his bullpen is his biggest opportunity

why do there have to be assigned roles? if you have enough talented arms like the team currently has you just use whoever is rested or is the best opposition for the batter due up. this isnt a problem or bad management its a tremendous asset that most other teams wish they had

In my opinion the only real roles that need to be defined in the bullpen:

Closer

Setup Man

Lefty who can get guys out in tough situations.

Everyone else I think you pick and choose your spots. You cant just say 'This is my 6th inning guy, I will use only him in the 6th inning when I need the bullpen.'

I think the roles are pretty much defined right now. If our starters can get us far enough into games on a regular basis then they may become even more apparent. When you are working with a tired pen, as we have most of the season, it's hard to blame the rookie manager for misusing them.

But this also leads up to one of my pet peeves. I think the BP coach should be having alot more say on who comes in. He watches these guys warming up and he should have a good idea on who has their stuff and who dosen't. Granted warming up isn't the same as in-game but with a BP catcher that has been around our system and a BP coach that has gotten to know the guys I would prefer to see him get a little more say so in the decision. Pinto would be a great example of this. When he is on he is great. When he is off he is throwing batting practice out there. The Bull Pen Coach and the Bull Pen Coordinator (our new name for the catcher) have got to be able to see this. I don't think any team puts enough reliance on that coach.

you have to have defined roles.

gregg should close.

owens should be in the 8th inning mix, along with your top lefty, whoever the hell we want to pick for that.

everyone else should be in the 7th inning and on mix.

If our starters cant go at least 6, then we are screwed in the end so it doesnt matter.

Guest Festa

I miss Chad Fox. Although his overuse that year probably destroyed the rest of his career.

He had health issues before that so I wouldn't say that one year destroyed his career. Probably a combination of both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.