We need Elijah Dukes

The_Godfather

This guy is an absolute beast, we can get him for a penny on the dollar, the Rays are going to trade him and we need a CF that can hit. Our situation in CF is the worst in all of baseball, and we should be desperate enough to take a risk on a talent like this.

Fredo, De Aza, Carroll, Abercrombie...NOBODY in this system is a long term answer. These are not major league starters for any team in baseball and never will be.

Dukes can be that huge bat in CF that would normally cost us a Josh Johnson or Scott Olsen, yet we might be able to get him for a Renyel Pinto.

He is supposedly a great clubhouse guy, teammates love him. He has had a rough past, but if he gets past that, what a steal. The change of scenery and maybe a guy like Dontrelle would do wonders for him.

Make a move Beinfest, take a risk! This is our best option and right now you are buying for so low, we need to take this chance.

As Alec Baldwin would say: It takes Brass Balls to win baseball games! Make it happen!

Guest ShaqandWade323

Um, no. He is wayyyyy too troubled going from threatening to kill his wife or "dawg" and impregnating the entire women's population in Tampa.

I'd rather not be the Bengals of Baseball.

Corey Patterson is falling quickly with the O's, he's in and out of their lineup now, and probably wouldn't cost much since he's a FA at the end of the season.

Someone with a career OBP under .300 isn't exactly what I would want at the plate, but he's got a lot of speed and a good glove, and has some pop in his bat to atleast make up for his abismal OBP.

Corey Patterson is falling quickly with the O's, he's in and out of their lineup now, and probably wouldn't cost much since he's a FA at the end of the season.

Someone with a career OBP under .300 isn't exactly what I would want at the plate, but he's got a lot of speed and a good glove, and has some pop in his bat to atleast make up for his abismal OBP.

Come on now. First of all, you don't become the Bengals of baseball by acquiring one player with a questionable past. If we have 3,4,5 Elijah Dukes, then I would be worried. One? Not so much.

The talent level difference between Dukes and Patterson is not even close, plus Dukes is a cheap,long term answer that would both probably cost the same level of prospect. Corey Patterson is only a notch above a Reggie Abercrombie.

I would take him in a heartbeat on this team, he is a major a talent. A possible elite player in CF and a 5 tool player. He wouldnt cost too much right now and he has potential to be a bat to sit behind miggy someday.

His numbers right now arent gerat but they arent horrible either.

That said, just like the dolphins drafted ginn and his whole family if we trade for Dukes do we get his potential family?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/06/duke...omment-72980544

Dukes Trade Coming Soon?

The Devil Rays have a new-look outfield, with Delmon Young in center, Jonny Gomes in right, and Elijah Dukes on the bench. Gomes just homered today and could really take off as a 30 home run guy if he plays every day.

Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times hinted this morning that if Dukes didn't start today, his departure may be imminent. He didn't, and Rocco Baldelli may be back by Friday. Some sort of action with Dukes at that point seems likely, whether a release, demotion, or trade. Jim Bowden's recent "character is extremely important" comment to the Washington post seems to indicate he's not interest in Dukes despite initial reports.

However, that comment may mean nothing. Dmitri Young choked his 21 year-old girlfriend last year, and Bowden signed him. Most likely Bowden just needs to sit with the player and feel convinced that he is reformed.

Dukes would still be a great fit for the Marlins, baseball-wise. The Rays were said to be looking for a solid reliever in return for Dukes, but that was a few offenses ago.

More to add to Godfather's thoughts. I agree with both MLBtraderumors and Godfather

Come on now. First of all, you don't become the Bengals of baseball by acquiring one player with a questionable past. If we have 3,4,5 Elijah Dukes, then I would be worried. One? Not so much.

The talent level difference between Dukes and Patterson is not even close, plus Dukes is a cheap,long term answer that would both probably cost the same level of prospect. Corey Patterson is only a notch above a Reggie Abercrombie.

I never said Dukes = Patterson, and Patterson is quite an upgrade over Abercrombie. Earlier in the season Patterson, would have costed too much, but he's fallen a lot in the O's FO. Considering he's in a contract year, I think he'd done very well here (I'm not saying great, but upgrade over what we are using).

And Dukes, I'd rather not even have one. It's not like it's just a few instances...it was, what, a week ago that, upon finding out he got another girl pregnant (Which that alone I don't really care about), he threw a gatoraid bottle at her, which even if it wasn't that bad (although it must have been bad enough that the girl contacted the police), it shows that he'll likely never be able to control his anger and would just be problem after problem after problem. I'm not denying his skills, the guy is talented. But I'd rather not have any players on my team that I wouldn't be able to cheer for due to issues they have. I'm not one to turn a blind eye. I'm not expecting every player to be a choir boy, I realize that that's just not realistic. Everybody makes a few mistakes and that's one thing. It's another to have a guy who's just batshit insane.

And as far as being liked by his teamates (You didn't say it but someone else in the thread did)...well, considering the fact that the Durham Bulls won't let Dukes back on their team, I do have to question that.

I like Dukes a lot, but he just doesn't fit with our team.

1) We don't really need another hybrid type hitter, we either need a pure leadoff or pure power guy to bat behind Miguel.

2) Him and Miguel nearly came to blows in Tampa earlier, so I'm not to sure that he'd be well received, especially if he still struggles as the replacement for an underserving yet extremely popular Alfredo Amezaga.

Before the season began I would say go after him, but not now. He'll be outta the league in a couple years if he keeps it up.

Yeah, that's my feeling exactly.

Hell, even 3 weeks ago, I'd have said go after him, but now, it's too much of a video-game trade.

If we're going to make a move for a centerfielder, I'd rather just say "ah f*** it" and trade Volstad for a young legit player, not someone with red flags all over the place.

Before the season began I would say go after him, but not now. He'll be outta the league in a couple years if he keeps it up.

Yeah, that's my feeling exactly.

Hell, even 3 weeks ago, I'd have said go after him, but now, it's too much of a video-game trade.

If we're going to make a move for a centerfielder, I'd rather just say "ah f*** it" and trade Volstad for a young legit player, not someone with red flags all over the place.

See, I think saying "trade Volstad for a young legit player" is more of a "video game trade" than us trading for Dukes. What exactly do you think Volstad's value is? Because he would not get us back one of the top 2 tier CF prospects, no way. Maybe as a piece, but not as the centerpiece of a deal.

I also don't believe chemistry plays any role whatsoever in the win-loss record. Boog Sciambi brings it up all the time, but he covered the 1997 Marlins team and he says that they had some of the worst "chemistry" you could imagine. The players simply did not get along well with each other and would fight all the time in the locker room.

Who cares though? Chemistry means jack &**^ when it comes to this level of baseball.

The risk then with Dukes is obviously will he flame out and be out of the league in two years ala a Jeff Allison? It is possible, I wouldn't deny that. But at this point we would not have to give up anything of high value. I think a Renyel Pinto would get it done, maybe even less...like say a Harvey Garcia. So at this low value, why not get a guy who if he stays out of trouble can be another building block position player(to go along with Hanley,Hermida and Cabs)?

When talking about prospects you always talk about high risk/high ceiling type players, and this is that type of deal. This is a possible Gary Sheffield type offensive player.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.