August 9, 200719 yr I know our main objective is to resign Cabrera long term, but I was reading that article on The next homerun king, and the bit on Cabrera, where it mentions the Yankees may pursue Cabrer a if they can't lock up A-rod. So if teams were to try and aquire Cabrera, would would it take. What do you think a realistic trade proposal look like?
August 9, 200719 yr 200 mil and up to sign him and atleast three major leaguers in a trade. EDIT: the marlins are too cheap to go after three major leaguers so we'll have to change that to minor leaguers. Not sure who, but they'd need atleast one top prospect in return
August 9, 200719 yr 200 mil and up I mean what prospects Jose Tabata, Philip Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain, Dellin Betances, J Brent Cox, Kevin Whelan pretty much their entire top 10 prospects and then some Yanks don't have enough
August 9, 200719 yr The Yankees would have to trade for top prospects from other clubs that the Marlins need, all major league ready, and probably send us about $100 Million.
August 9, 200719 yr The Yankees can have Cabrera if they personally come down to Downtown Miami and built a baseball stadium.
August 9, 200719 yr it's impossible to get equal value The best we could do is like Hughes, Tabata, and enough money to build a stadium.
August 9, 200719 yr Author 200 mil and up I mean what prospects Jose Tabata, Philip Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain, Dellin Betances, J Brent Cox, Kevin Whelan pretty much their entire top 10 prospects and then some Yanks don't have enough What about any team... not saying i'd do it but getting Tabata, Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain in one day sounds nice.... Dominguez???
August 9, 200719 yr What it would take? Time. . . They just have to wait one or two years and the Marlins will find the right excuse to trade him away
August 9, 200719 yr What it would take? Time. . . They just have to wait one or two years and the Marlins will find the right excuse to trade him away We're talking about Steinbrenner. He doesn't have time. He needs to win, and win immediately.
August 9, 200719 yr Arrange a deal so that after A-Rod opts out, the Yankees sign him for however much is needed to sign him for another 10 year period, then trade Cabrera to the Yankees for A-Rod with the Marlins only paying the minimum per year and the Yankees picking up the rest of the tab.
August 9, 200719 yr Miggy's the kind of player who doesn't get traded. Not saying the Marlins keep him, but you never get equal value in a trade and there's always a slight hope of resigning him. The Indians didn't trade Manny, the Mariners didn't trade ARod.
August 9, 200719 yr There are a few teams that do have enough and would make sense, but the Yanks simply don't have enough. Hughes still has some question marks IMO. A team like the Dodgers, Tigers, DRays and Diamondbacks could put together packages that would be enticing, but I still try not to think about it, but here is what I imagine: Dodgers: Laroche, Billingsley, Kershaw, Kemp Or Martin, Laroche and _______ (any pitching prospect) Tigers: Verlander, Maybin Drays: Delmon Young, Upton ________ (any pitching prospect) Diamondbacks: Upton, Montero, Jarrod Parker I think that would be about his value. We are talking about one of the best players in the game at an elite spot. It would take a ton to get him...and unfortunately that day will come as long as Loria is running the show.
August 9, 200719 yr generic response : 3-4 top prospects and cash .....still wouldnt want to make that deal
August 10, 200719 yr Miggy's the kind of player who doesn't get traded. Not saying the Marlins keep him, but you never get equal value in a trade and there's always a slight hope of resigning him. The Indians didn't trade Manny, the Mariners didn't trade ARod.
August 10, 200719 yr wow, I can't fathom the thought of him leaving. Cabrera is a guy that we need to resign, if the FO can't do that, they're gonna lose even more fans then they have already...maybe even me..but I shouldn't get ahead of myself. He's a marlin right now..
August 10, 200719 yr Here's the thing...if a stadium was built this year, we still wouldn't re-up with Miggy. That's the reality. If Miggy was on about 20 other teams, they wouldn't sign him either. He's going to be the highest paid player in baseball. There are a handful of teams that could offer him the big bucks, and even with a new stadium we're not one of them. And, would you want the Marlins to pay Miggy 50% of our entire payroll when (if) we actually get a new stadium? If you do, I wouldn't expect anything better than what we have now. I want them to keep him, but I don't live in fantasy land. Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Kareem, Shaq, etc. were all "once in a lifetime" players, and they were all traded.
August 10, 200719 yr They would have to build us a new stadium lol I love Cabs but if that were the case so long MiggY!
August 10, 200719 yr only deal I could think of would be one of the following: Lirano + Mauer Martin + Kemp + Billingsley + Kershaw + LaRoche + Loney
August 10, 200719 yr Here's the thing...if a stadium was built this year, we still wouldn't re-up with Miggy. That's the reality. If Miggy was on about 20 other teams, they wouldn't sign him either. He's going to be the highest paid player in baseball. There are a handful of teams that could offer him the big bucks, and even with a new stadium we're not one of them. And, would you want the Marlins to pay Miggy 50% of our entire payroll when (if) we actually get a new stadium? If you do, I wouldn't expect anything better than what we have now. I want them to keep him, but I don't live in fantasy land. Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Kareem, Shaq, etc. were all "once in a lifetime" players, and they were all traded. People could have easily said the same about Pujols 4 years ago. The Cardinals aren't exactly break the budget spenders.
August 10, 200719 yr They would have to build us a new stadium lol Conjures up an odd thought that I'm too lazy to research right now... Is there a maximum amount of cash that could be included in a deal for a player? i.e. Is the amount of cash that can come in return for a player exceed the value of his contract, etc?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.