Would Huizenga's sale of the Dolphins affect the Marlins ?

Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga has told several sources -- both inside and outside of the organization -- he is considering selling the team and the stadium because of his continued frustrations with Miami's current winless state.

His asking price would be between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion, a high-end source has told The Miami Herald.

Huizenga declined to comment through the Dolphins media relations department and on Friday was not made available to speak with reporters as he left the team's Davie practice facility. Four sources have confirmed Huizenga's state of mind to The Herald

Huizenga has spoken to several confidants outside of the organization, voicing those same frustrations while even naming potential suitors who would be willing to enter into negotiations.

Sources within the organization are also aware of Huizenga's growing discontent and potential desire to sell the team. Huizenga has in the past said the Dolphins are not for sale, but always added the caveat that he would consider any serious offer.

A source with the Florida Panthers told The Herald this week that, at one point last year Huizenga spoke with advertising executive (and Panthers minority owner) Jordan Zimmerman about potential interest. Those talks were very preliminary, and they did not materialize into anything nearly as serious as Huizenga's current considerations.

Zimmerman told The Herald this week he is not interested in buying the team at this point.

The Dolphins are currently the only NFL team without a victory. The team has three more opportunities to win a game and avoid becoming the first NFL team ever to lose every game in a 16-game season.

Forbes Magazine this year valued the Dolphins at $942 million, with a revenue stream of approximately $215 million. The valuation makes the Dolphins the 15th-priciest NFL franchise. The Dallas Cowboys, by comparison, were the highest valued at $1.5 billion. The Minnesota Vikings were the lowest at $782 million.

The Dolphins organization and Dolphin Stadium would be offered as a package deal assuming a sale happens. Huizenga purchased the team from the Robbie family in 1994 for $138 million.

It is interesting that Huizenga has made comments about selling despite his recent commitment to spend approximately $250 million to upgrade Dolphin Stadium, with the final phase of that upgrade to be completed by 2009.

When Huizenga initially agreed to purchase the team, he needed to wait more than three years before officially becoming the team's owner because of the league's cross-ownership policy, which was altered in 1997 to allow controlling interest in other sports.

Since, however, his investment has gained $804 million in worth.

When he purchased the NFL team, he also owned the Marlins and the Panthers, which he brought to South Florida. He has since sold his interests in both the baseball and hockey organizations.

http://www.miamiherald.com/598/story/345175.html

The name-change is the final divorce decree from the devil aka Wayne Huizenga and his rein of terror since palming the team off on John "duh, it doesn't matter what I sign, I'm building my own stadium anyways" Henry.

The final straw for me was the 11th hour call to the Florida Senate President effectively killing any chance the Marlins had of doing a deal two years ago.

Long ago I predicted that should the Marlins ever find a way to end their indentured servitude, Huizenga would sell soon after because it has been the Marlins who have subsidized the Dolphins all these years. And it looks like that's coming true.

On a level playing field 8 home football games can never compete against 81 home dates in baseball when it comes to capturing the all important sports entertainment dollar. And Wayne is no fool, he knows it. A healthy Marlins franchise will easily take 8 points off the Dolphins bottom-line and that's devastating.

It's why Wayne is looking for the next John Henry.

And he'll find him. he's done it before, he'll do it again.

note: while I didn't edit it, I did move this from the

"name change" thread to here because overall I

thought it more appropriate in this one. If you thought

you already read this elsewhere, you did.

Guest iFesta Touch

Considering the renovations to Dolphin Stadium are almost complete, the Canes are locked up long term, and a potential owner would have 2 or 3 more seasons to leech off the Marlins this is the perfect time to sell the team.

But this seems more like a case of Wayne acting like a little kid who gets sick of playing with the same toy. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here on the professional sports front.

I think you can rule out the idea of Huizenga buying the Marlins. Simply because he hates the city of Miami.

On a level playing field 8 home football games can never compete against 81 home dates in baseball when it comes to capturing the all important sports entertainment dollar. And Wayne is no fool, he knows it. A healthy Marlins franchise will easily take 8 points off the Dolphins bottom-line and that's devastating.

You aren't serious are you. Why is it that there are only 3 NFL teams that currently share their stadiums with MLB teams? (there will be zero in 5 years) The NFL financial structure is so far superior to that of any other sport that despite those 8 home games a year almost any NFL franchise can still command a premium of or around $1 billion, whereas the Cubs one of the most storied and valued franchises barely catches more than that if you include Wrigley field. The NFL is basically a license to print money. The players on the Dolphins could be Myself, your grandmother, my nephews 5 year old soccer team, three oak trees and a blow up doll and because of the possibility of hosting the Super Bowl every 4 or 5 years AND hosting the Marlins for at least 4 years AND hosting the 'Canes for God knows how long $1 Billion is a steal for the team and everything related to it. The only reason Wayne is considering this is b/c of the season he's having. This season is probably like being in a car accident for Wayne, the car that he loved for years is now all banged up and he doesn't know if he wants to bring it to the shop to rebuild it (by shop I mean Bill Cohwer) or just buy a new one. As it stands this doesn't have much of an effect on the fish (if the deal actually happens) the question would be how the new person wants to deal with them. And lets face it, as "bad" as many of you think he is Wayne or his replacement, could be a whole lot worse.

You aren't serious are you. Why is it that there are only 3 NFL teams that currently share their stadiums with MLB teams? (there will be zero in 5 years) The NFL financial structure is so far superior to that of any other sport that despite those 8 home games a year almost any NFL franchise can still command a premium of or around $1 billion, whereas the Cubs one of the most storied and valued franchises barely catches more than that if you include Wrigley field. The NFL is basically a license to print money. The players on the Dolphins could be Myself, your grandmother, my nephews 5 year old soccer team, three oak trees and a blow up doll and because of the possibility of hosting the Super Bowl every 4 or 5 years AND hosting the Marlins for at least 4 years AND hosting the 'Canes for God knows how long $1 Billion is a steal for the team and everything related to it. The only reason Wayne is considering this is b/c of the season he's having. This season is probably like being in a car accident for Wayne, the car that he loved for years is now all banged up and he doesn't know if he wants to bring it to the shop to rebuild it (by shop I mean Bill Cohwer) or just buy a new one. As it stands this doesn't have much of an effect on the fish (if the deal actually happens) the question would be how the new person wants to deal with them. And lets face it, as "bad" as many of you think he is Wayne or his replacement, could be a whole lot worse.

Yes I am serious and I'll explain to you why I came to the conclusion did, which was the net effect of the loss of the Marlins would result in approximately an 8% net loss in profits for the combined Huizenga entities, and since they operate at about 17% net profit margin before the existing sales tax rebate, that number is signficant.

Not only is there going to be an agressive marketing campaign to take 81 games worth of sky box revenue with them to the new stadium (of which right now the Marlins get zero), the Dolly Rinker's, the Coca-Colas, the Comras Companies', the Related's, will justifiably be spending less on their Dolphin Stadium skyboxes because they will be worth so much less.

Then there's the advertising component and the loss of revenue there (think of it in terms of tv rating points, perhaps you noticed the stories - you can find them on Google news - of how the TV networks are making $ refunds to advertisers right now because of their ongoing labor stoppage) as those 81 games and all those eyeballs disappear, and worse are now somewhere else and as an advertiser you are being courted by two parties not one. The inevitable result is a shifting of a large percentage of those dollars to the new Marlins stadium.

Then there's all the Marlins season ticketholders who are part of the group of 100 largest companies the Dolphins have had exclusive rights to and the Marlins have gotten only a small percentage of the revenue from those tickets sold. Plus whatever the number, the Marlins moving to a new stadium is going take a percentage of average Joe dollars with them at the expense of the Dolphins.

With the removal of the three largest things working against Marlins attendance - the heat and sun, the chance of rain and the question of whether a game will be played at all - some number of Dolphins fans will opt to split the $ they spend now to start attending both sports, and those are going to be pretty much $ coming out of the Dolphins' coffers.

Add to the revenues lost parking x 81 games. Concessions x 81 games.

Not to mention how long is since Dolphin stadium actually had a real sell-out for football? Two Years? Three? More and more empty seats at every game as even as late as two weeks ago the Dolphins were on the radio advertising ticket sales for their remaining game(s). The Dolphins aren't selling out and won't for a number of years to come. That may not matter when it comes to NFL distributions from merchandising, TV, etc., but it the losses on the periferies that will add up, or in this case not add up going forward.

Whether anyone likes it or not there is going to be a splitting of what is now Dolphin Stadium-centric revenue that is going cut the bottom line of the Huizenga Holdings in half. And don't be surprised if when the Marlins move out the legislature finally does what it should have done long ago and take back from HH the Marlins sales tax rebate they have been using for years to keep the Dolphins organization fat, dumb and happy.

You won't have an argument from me about league/team valuations, NFL/MLB. On that point you're 100% correct. But that in part is due to the fact the NFL has a payroll cap deal with the NFLPA, which if something akin to that could ever be agreed to between the MLB and the MLBPA, would have the same effect on baseball franchise valuations.

It's not about which League is the better cash machine, it's about the loss of revenue operationally and how it impacts the organization's bottomline.

And so yes, I am serious, and I think operationally it is a serious issue for Huizenga (corporately) and is one of the reasons now is the right time for him to sell.

*** I edited a few typos and fixed the sentence structure in one place for clarity but I don't think I changed the thrust of the overall post

I am not a Dolphin fan but since Wayne has screwed us Marlins fans over big time since 1997 I enjoyed the his football teams declines , and I hope it continues because Wayne is the devil

As a Marlins fan first, I agree that Wayne was a smart man who took bad advice after the 97 title. This snowball never stopped rolling, just slowed down a bit. And I agree with marlins03 on most of what he says, yes I do, and that the late phone call killed the stadium rebate a few years ago, just so he could milk the franchise a few more years. Wayne had a chance with this community to really have something special. 75000 at a pep rally after the title, season tix would have gone through the roof etc, but Wayne really hated working with the strong baseball union and with the other owners that he had disdain for.

And further, my AutoNation stock has been a flat,stagnant investment that I should have dumped long ago.

Any buyer will most likely be locked in to any signed agreements in place. I would hope that the UM has protection in their deal and all the promises are reduced to writing, in specific detail, which I am mostly confident, they are.

Wayne may not have had the success he hoped for, but one thing I see with him is that if he is involved, he does not cut corners. If he can't try to do it right, he won't want to do it. Bad decisions, but not for an unwillingness to try.

Being that it is Saturday I have stuff to do so I didn't read your whole post but what I did read basically went like this.... "new marlins ballpark.. blah blah.. new marlins ballpark.. blah blah.. wayne sucks.. boba fet... marlins ballpark". The thread is really about how the sale of the dolphins will effect the marlins. To that effect you didn't really answer the question. Fact is the sale doesn't effect the Marlins at all yet, WHO the team is sold to is what is going to effect the Marlins and everyone else. Most importantly, the sale of the team and the new ballpark are both things that have not happened yet (if at all) and therefore are open to more speculation that either of us could possibly muster up.

Lastly.. Wayne HAD to sell the Marlins and the Panthers b/c the NFL has rules about team owners also being owners of teams in other sports. He made a choice and that choice was to stick with the more solid investment, its just buisness and it was the right choice, no need to hate him.

...Oh and the Dolphins sold out the game on Sunday against the Ravens so there goes that argument.

Being that it is Saturday I have stuff to do so I didn't read your whole post but what I did read basically went like this.... "new marlins ballpark.. blah blah.. new marlins ballpark.. blah blah.. wayne sucks.. boba fet... marlins ballpark". The thread is really about how the sale of the dolphins will effect the marlins. To that effect you didn't really answer the question. Fact is the sale doesn't effect the Marlins at all yet, WHO the team is sold to is what is going to effect the Marlins and everyone else. Most importantly, the sale of the team and the new ballpark are both things that have not happened yet (if at all) and therefore are open to more speculation that either of us could possibly muster up.

Lastly.. Wayne HAD to sell the Marlins and the Panthers b/c the NFL has rules about team owners also being owners of teams in other sports. He made a choice and that choice was to stick with the more solid investment, its just buisness and it was the right choice, no need to hate him.

...Oh and the Dolphins sold out the game on Sunday against the Ravens so there goes that argument.

I'm sure Wayne appreciates your apologies in his name for dismantling the 1997 World Champion Florida Marlins less than 14 hours after their WS victory even though he had three+ years to sell the team. That certainly made good business sense. :D

As for selling out what you mean is some phantom buyer supposedly buys out the remaining tickets so the game can be televised (funny how's there always about 10-15,000 empty seats in the 400s all in the same area for every game but who's counting). There hasn't been a true sell-out in years and everyone knows it. Reporters mention it, commentators notice it but thank you correcting them.

And you're right, I should have addressed more definitively how it will affect the Marlins. More revenue from every conceivable source, skyboxes, field boxes, electronic in-stadium advertising, parking, concessions, visual advertising (cup holders, static signage around the park, etc.), marketing without restrictions, ticket sales overall, a level playing field for developing a fan base, good customer service and friendly attendants who don't mock Marlins fans with things like "See you in Las Vegas" after the last game of the year, decent food, seats that actually face the field and are at least comfortable, and perhaps even better media attention.

Oh yeah, and not having to play baseball in a stadium embarrassingly named after the worst football franchise in the country. How did I forget that one? Sheeh. And for the record, I never said "Wayne sucks". Never have, never would.

I'll try to do better next time.

Ok, now that I'm all clean from a nice little shower ...basically what you're saying is Wayne sells Dolphins = Marlins New Stadium, right? Because thats what it sounds like. For the record someone, probably Samson (remember him, the real evil one?) bought more than 15,000+ seats to the last Marlins home game a few years ago so that they wouldn't finish behind the lame duck expos in attendence. Paid attendence is what counts in Pro Sports, not how many people are in the seats.

I can't believe what I'm hearing from Marlins fans, you guys actually want another carpetbagging northern based owner to come in and buy another south florida sports team. But hey, what do I know, look how good that worked for the Marlins. My point from the beginning of all this was Wayne may not tickle your fancy b/c he doesn't do whats best for YOUR interests but he does do what is best for the interests of South Florida as a whole whereas most people with more than $1 billion dollars to throw down on a football team might not be as willing. And just because the ownership changes does not mean the lease that the Marlins have on the stadium changes and the lease, not the stadium, nor the on-field product are its biggest reasons for wanting a new stadium. It also has no bearing on the ongoing talks for a new Marlins stadium which will either be made or broken long before the Dolphins get sold.

Ok... I'm off to a Christmas party.

Ok, now that I'm all clean from a nice little shower ...basically what you're saying is Wayne sells Dolphins = Marlins New Stadium, right? Because thats what it sounds like. For the record someone, probably Samson (remember him, the real evil one?) bought more than 15,000+ seats to the last Marlins home game a few years ago so that they wouldn't finish behind the lame duck expos in attendence. Paid attendence is what counts in Pro Sports, not how many people are in the seats.

I can't believe what I'm hearing from Marlins fans, you guys actually want another carpetbagging northern based owner to come in and buy another south florida sports team. But hey, what do I know, look how good that worked for the Marlins. My point from the beginning of all this was Wayne may not tickle your fancy b/c he doesn't do whats best for YOUR interests but he does do what is best for the interests of South Florida as a whole whereas most people with more than $1 billion dollars to throw down on a football team might not be as willing. And just because the ownership changes does not mean the lease that the Marlins have on the stadium changes and the lease, not the stadium, nor the on-field product are its biggest reasons for wanting a new stadium. It also has no bearing on the ongoing talks for a new Marlins stadium which will either be made or broken long before the Dolphins get sold.

Boy you have terrible reading comprehension.

Speaking of carpetbaggers, since when wasn't Wayne Huizenga from Chicago via New Jersey? Since when hasn't he taken now two South Florida franchises (or is it three) to near ruination while lining his pockets every step of the way?

Talk about your pot calling the kettle black and revisionist history. I really loved the line about how Wayne wants what's best for all of South Florida (...oh god help me, I know my failing is I don't suffer fools well). Let's ask how Broward County feels about their dealings with his organization or Miami when his family gained control of the Miami Arena Authority and made sure to drive hockey from what had been a very good venue for the sport.

But I can't stop laughing at the "Wayne...does do what is best for the interests of South Florida as a whole" line. Dave Hyde is that you?

That was just precious. :D

In response to the original question, what the Dolphins do has no bearing whatsoever on the Marlins. Crator-face is about money. It is hard to believe that now that a baseball staduim deal has been hammered out and soon to be completed it is just a coincidence that H Wayne is now deciding to unload the Football team. Damn was that staduim lease one-sided and totally unfair, to the extent that Huipinga choose to get out of the sports business altogether when his gravy train has run his course

I heard it was a local Miami business realtor George Perez that has made offers

It doesn't seem like Huizenga selling the Dolphins and the stadium should have any effect on the ongoing talks re: the Orange Bowl site. Still, I don't trust this devil...he's a megalomaniac with a professed hatred for MLB and the Marlins, and he's hurt us for years. The timing of this announcment and possible sale seems maybe a little to coincidental and I'm concerned. Maybe Ol' crater face does have one final ace up his sleeve to affect the Marlins.

Boy you have terrible reading comprehension.

Speaking of carpetbaggers, since when wasn't Wayne Huizenga from Chicago via New Jersey? Since when hasn't he taken now two South Florida franchises (or is it three) to near ruination while lining his pockets every step of the way?

Talk about your pot calling the kettle black and revisionist history. I really loved the line about how Wayne wants what's best for all of South Florida (...oh god help me, I know my failing is I don't suffer fools well). Let's ask how Broward County feels about their dealings with his organization or Miami when his family gained control of the Miami Arena Authority and made sure to drive hockey from what had been a very good venue for the sport.

But I can't stop laughing at the "Wayne...does do what is best for the interests of South Florida as a whole" line. Dave Hyde is that you?

That was just precious. :D

Umm.. last time I checked AutoNation was based in Fort Lauderdale, so was (is) Republic Industries, so are most of his houses, so was Blockbuster before he sold it to Viacomm. Last time I checked the Huizenga name was on more than a few school buildings down here. I'd say he cares plenty about South Florida. Yes Wayne is from up north, he's also like 70-something how many native 70-something Floridians do you know?

Now seriously, take your time and answer this question for me. What is your idea of a good sports team owner? Take your time, look around. Find one owner that is willing to take a serious financial hit to please his fans with any sort of frequency. Find me one guy who is willing to let the fans dictate how he runs things all while getting a decent return on his investment and winning enough to take the heat off his own arse. I mean it, never mind anything else I've said. Forget about the title of this post and just answer that with a strait face.