Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hanley leading off

Featured Replies

florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080213&content_id=2372107&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id

 

Looks like Fredi wants to start him in the lead off spot and see how things go from there.

 

The only way I would agree with this is if Maybin was to not start the season with us. In which case, Fredi would probably go with the 1,2 punch of Hanley and Uggla at the top of the order again. Then once Maybin joins the squad, you put hanley in the 3 hole and see how things go. However, I'm of the rare breed that wants to start Maybin on opening day.

 

Other than that, the only real advantage to starting Hanley leadoff is being able to utilize his speed more effectively than from the 3 hole where there are guys ahead of him on the base paths. The advantages to batting him third excede the benefits of batting him lead off because of the balance he would bring from the 3 hole, IMO.

I can't disagree with Fredi. I'm not sure who I would put at the lead-off spot besides Hanley. I mean, who else?

some people gave him that idea at fanfest so i bet he dream having Hanley leadoff.

Or, maybe Hanley's season hitting leadoff last year has some influence.

Well if Maybin doesnt start on Opening Day then I like Hanley leading off, but it makes alot more sense to bat him 3rd if Maybin does make the squad.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

Let's put it this way.

 

Who are the two worst hitters in the lineup? The #8 and Pitcher spots.

 

Do you really want to see Hanley hitting behind Rabelo/Treanor and the pitcher once the lineup turns over?

 

So if Hanley hits third, no matter who the #1 and #2 hitters are, we know they're going to be better hitters than Rabelo/Treanor and the pitcher

hanleys ridiculous base stealing ability would be erased if he was batting third.... im perfectly content with the numbers hes put up the last few years... keep him in first.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

  • Author

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

Am I the only one who does't like Maybin leading off either. None of the reports I've heard have him projected to be a leadoff man. I don't think he was a top 10 prospect expected to inabit a leadoff role. I know he is quick and possesses some on-base skills, but he's supposed to have a similar hitting style as Hanley, and everyone hates him in the leadoff.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

 

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again

 

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first that is actually going to be on the 25-man roster?

  • Author

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

 

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again

 

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first that is actually going to be on the 25-man roster?

 

 

and what makes you think Maybin won't be the starting centerfielder on opening day? He's going to get every opportunity to win the job right from the start. All he has to do is show he can hit big league pitching in spring, and center field is his for the taking. Defense is obviously not an issue with him. It will come down to him prooving he has the ability to produce at the plate at the big league level.

 

Hanley should only be considered for the lead off spot if Maybin shows he needs more conditioning in the minors. Call it optimism, but I think there is a relatively good chance that Maybin makes the opening day roster, and you can hold me to that.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

 

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again

 

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first that is actually going to be on the 25-man roster?

 

 

and what makes you think Maybin won't be the starting centerfielder on opening day? He's going to get every opportunity to win the job right from the start. All he has to do is show he can hit big league pitching in spring, and center field is his for the taking. Defense is obviously not an issue with him. It will come down to him prooving he has the ability to produce at the plate at the big league level.

 

Hanley should only be considered for the lead off spot if Maybin shows he needs more conditioning in the minors. Call it optimism, but I think there is a relatively good chance that Maybin makes the opening day roster, and you can hold me to that.

And what makes you think Maybin will be the starting centerfielder on opening day, outside of optimism?

 

He's still young, he's still green, and his offensive numbers last September don't show that he is ready to produce above Cody Ross or Alfredo Amezaga. Now, if he does, that would be great. I would love him to light it up in Spring Training, but there is nothing to show that he will. And if he doesn't, it isn't a big deal. He's still young.

I don't see the point in starting Amezaga if you can help it. Even if he bats .400 in spring training. I love the guy but we already know what he gives us. He's a keeper, great piece for the bench. Give the at-bats to Cody Ross or someone like Brett Carroll, guys who we're still trying to figure out. Ross was great in limited at-bats last season (26 homers now in his 486 at-bats with the Marlins), let's see what that leads to. Or let's see if Carroll can put up enough offense to stick around.

 

 

 

Who leads off right now doesn't really bother me that much. By the time we're a contender again it will work itself out.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

 

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again

 

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first that is actually going to be on the 25-man roster?

 

 

and what makes you think Maybin won't be the starting centerfielder on opening day? He's going to get every opportunity to win the job right from the start. All he has to do is show he can hit big league pitching in spring, and center field is his for the taking. Defense is obviously not an issue with him. It will come down to him prooving he has the ability to produce at the plate at the big league level.

 

Hanley should only be considered for the lead off spot if Maybin shows he needs more conditioning in the minors. Call it optimism, but I think there is a relatively good chance that Maybin makes the opening day roster, and you can hold me to that.

And what makes you think Maybin will be the starting centerfielder on opening day, outside of optimism?

 

He's still young, he's still green, and his offensive numbers last September don't show that he is ready to produce above Cody Ross or Alfredo Amezaga. Now, if he does, that would be great. I would love him to light it up in Spring Training, but there is nothing to show that he will. And if he doesn't, it isn't a big deal. He's still young.

 

I don't understand why you think it's so far-fetched Maybin starts the season in centerfield for us?

 

Every single thing that's been printed has pointed toward the Marlins giving him every single opportunity to win the job. That, and the Marlins are eager to show off their new showcase player much earlier rather than later.

I like Hanley hitting leadoff. Why would you not want him to get the most AB's?

 

 

Because he's the best hitter on the team, and the best hitter on the team bats third.

 

Plus, he'd be able to produce a lot more runs hitting third

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first?

 

I mean, we could have Hermida, Hammer, maybe even Danny batting 3rd. But we don't have many options in the first slot.

 

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me try again

 

That's all great, but with Hanley batting 3rd, who bats first that is actually going to be on the 25-man roster?

 

 

and what makes you think Maybin won't be the starting centerfielder on opening day? He's going to get every opportunity to win the job right from the start. All he has to do is show he can hit big league pitching in spring, and center field is his for the taking. Defense is obviously not an issue with him. It will come down to him prooving he has the ability to produce at the plate at the big league level.

 

Hanley should only be considered for the lead off spot if Maybin shows he needs more conditioning in the minors. Call it optimism, but I think there is a relatively good chance that Maybin makes the opening day roster, and you can hold me to that.

And what makes you think Maybin will be the starting centerfielder on opening day, outside of optimism?

 

He's still young, he's still green, and his offensive numbers last September don't show that he is ready to produce above Cody Ross or Alfredo Amezaga. Now, if he does, that would be great. I would love him to light it up in Spring Training, but there is nothing to show that he will. And if he doesn't, it isn't a big deal. He's still young.

 

I don't understand why you think it's so far-fetched Maybin starts the season in centerfield for us?

 

Every single thing that's been printed has pointed toward the Marlins giving him every single opportunity to win the job. That, and the Marlins are eager to show off their new showcase player much earlier rather than later.

I've seen alot of things printed that say he might spend 2 months in the minors, but that he will have a chance to win the job.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.