Billy Crystal signs with Yankees

yandro

Incredible...

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)?Billy Crystal will get to ?look mahvelous? in pinstripes.

The actor will sign a one-day, minor league contract with the New York Yankees and play in Thursday?s exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Crystal, an avid Yankees fan, will work out with the team on Wednesday and will wear uniform No. 60 for the game?to be played one day before his 60th birthday. The Yankees said Monday they have the approval of baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

?I?ve been waiting 50 years for this call,? Crystal said in a statement released by the team. ?I?m overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and commissioner Selig. I know this?ll be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I?m looking forward to helping the younger players, which by the way is all of them. Oops, I have to go, Scott Boras is on the phone.?

Crystal, according to the Yankees hit .348 and was captain during his senior year at Long Beach High School in New York. He directed and produced ?61*,? a move about Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and the 1961 Yankees.

?The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team known for his humor and wit as well as his undying love for the Yankees,? chief operating officer Lonn Trost said.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi, after Monday night?s 4-0 win over Cincinnati, said he hasn?t determined what position Crystal will play.

?That remains to be seen,? Girardi said. ?Obviously, it?s kind of exciting. Billy Crystal has done a lot for this organization. He?s always been a big part of it. Our way of rewarding him, saying thanks for everything that you?ve done.?

Country singer Garth Brooks has played in spring training games, helping raise money for his Touch ?em All Foundation. He was 1-for-22 (.045) in 1999 with the San Diego Padres, 0-for-17 the following year with the New York Mets and 1-for-8 (.125) in 2004 with the Kansas City Royals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-y...p&type=lgns

As much of a feel good story as it is, It's kinda bad that an actual Yankees player will be sitting on the bench, missing out on playing time (time that can prove that he has what it takes to make the team) while watching Billy Crystal swing a baseball bat for fun.

As much of a feel good story as it is, It's kinda bad that an actual Yankees player will be sitting on the bench, missing out on playing time (time that can prove that he has what it takes to make the team) while watching Billy Crystal swing a baseball bat for fun.

You say that is if there are sooooo many position battles to be won on that roster.

Feel sorry for the guys Garth Brooks stole 47 at-bats from...

I think this is cool.. People can't forget that baseball is still part of the entertainment industry... While most of us just like watching solid baseball, some enjoy the side show every now and then.. I hope this game is televised, cause I'd love to see it. I actually thought he was going to be playing today, so I ended up watching the first 5 innings of the Yanks/Jays game on MLB.TV at work...

You say that is if there are sooooo many position battles to be won on that roster.

Feel sorry for the guys Garth Brooks stole 47 at-bats from...

It's just the principle of it.

Plus, you never know.

Leading Off for the Yankees ... Billy Crystal

Mar 13, 10:32 AM (ET)

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -No joke: Billy Crystal is leading off for the New York Yankees.

The comedian was put in the top spot for Thursday's exhibition game, listed as the designated hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Wearing No. 60, Crystal got his chance a day before his 60th birthday. A lifelong Yankees fan, the righty was set to face Pirates left-hander Paul Maholm.

Derek Jeter followed Crystal in the lineup, with Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano among the other regulars also playing.

Johnny Damon was scheduled to take over the DH job from Crystal later in the game. Damon was in the spirit, saying it was fine that he sat at the start in place of Crystal. "He's been around longer," Damon said. "He's got credibility."

http://sports.excite.com/news/03132008/v8895.html

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)?Billy Crystal?s ?mahvelous? time with the New York Yankees is over.

The team released the actor on his 60th birthday, one day after he struck out in his only at-bat against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The announcement came at the bottom of the second page in Friday?s game notes. Under transactions, it said ?March 14 Released INF Billy Crystal.?

The team gave Crystal, a longtime Yankees? fan, the opportunity to be the designated hitter and lead off in the first inning Thursday because of his ambassador-like role for baseball.

Who the hell do the Yankee's have scouting out there, i think this is a big mistake,this kid has talent...

Billy Crystal strikesout! He worked the count to 3-1, but then two fastballs down and in got him. The first strike was actually a fastball up that he fouled off. It was almost a hit. Gotta give him props, because he didn't look bad at all.

FASTBALL?! How fast were they pitching to him?

Maholm gave him nothing but gas. I guess he didn't want to be the guy who gave up a hit to Billy Crystal.

Billy Crystal strikesout! He worked the count to 3-1, but then two fastballs down and in got him. The first strike was actually a fastball up that he fouled off. It was almost a hit. Gotta give him props, because he didn't look bad at all.

Maholm gave him nothing but gas. I guess he didn't want to be the guy who gave up a hit to Billy Crystal.

I read an article that sounded like Maholm wasn't throwing his "A" stuff. And if you didn't want to be the guy to give up a hit to Crystal, wouldn't you throw him a curve and NOT just straight gas?

I read an article that sounded like Maholm wasn't throwing his "A" stuff. And if you didn't want to be the guy to give up a hit to Crystal, wouldn't you throw him a curve and NOT just straight gas?

The pitch he fouled off appeared to be a straight fast ball.. But the two pitches that he swung and missed on had some movement... The broadcasters thought Maholm threw him a curve... They seemed to be cut fastballs, cause they were coming down the middle and just moved in on him.. But the last two pitches were identical....

The pitch he fouled off appeared to be a straight fast ball.. But the two pitches that he swung and missed on had some movement... The broadcasters thought Maholm threw him a curve... They seemed to be cut fastballs, cause they were coming down the middle and just moved in on him.. But the last two pitches were identical....

Yeah, they looked like cutters to me.

I'm no scout, but the stuff he gave Crystal looked just like the stuff he gave Jeter right after him.

And if a major leaguer wants to strike me out, he's throwing me gas. Curves only work when you can hit a 90mph fastball, not when you rather go at a curveball. I'm guessing Maholm was just trying to blow Crystal away easy.