April 22, 200818 yr ...would be out of our rotation by May? It's about time they eat their crow now! He is 4-1.
April 22, 200818 yr I don't mind them making fun of us. The thing that I hate is when we are in contention late in the season and they decide to jump on the bandwagon like they have been calling it all season long. If you're off in the beginning, stay off.
April 22, 200818 yr So far he's done all you could ask for. Add him to the list of guys I rolled my eyes at when they were brought in. Gonzo Hendrickson I was okay with the Cantu pickup or else I'd be 3 for 3. :lol
April 22, 200818 yr So far he's done all you could ask for. Add him to the list of guys I rolled my eyes at when they were brought in. Gonzo Hendrickson I was okay with the Cantu pickup or else I'd be 3 for 3. :lol Join the club, I was iffy about Hendrickson myself, though I thought Gonzo was a nice pickup.
April 22, 200818 yr How many ZOMG ESPN threads can be made in 1 week It's directly proportional to the times they are wrong.
April 22, 200818 yr How many ZOMG ESPN threads can be made in 1 week It's directly proportional to the times they are wrong. Sweet..You tell them!!!
April 22, 200818 yr Not really sure why A) This is such a big deal. or B) People are acting like this is some sort of new ordeal.
April 22, 200818 yr If you look at Hendrickson's monthly splits for 2007 you'll understand why they were confident in their prediction. Different team, different situation, different home field, different year but if all you're going by was last season's track record there's some justification for making it. What's unfortunate was the cynicism and belittling that accompanied it.
April 22, 200818 yr If you look at Hendrickson's monthly splits for 2007 you'll understand why they were confident in their prediction. Different team, different situation, different home field, different year but if all you're going by was last season's track record there's some justification for making it. What's unfortunate was the cynicism and belittling that accompanied it. Different Eyesight :whistle
April 22, 200818 yr lasik, as far as I know, has never had a noticable effect for pitchers. I don't recall ever seeing a player getting lasik and pitching better, but I do recall seeing pitchers getting lasik and it not making a difference (The one that stick out in my mind is Daniel Cabrera, who went from a 4.74 ERA to a 5.55 ERA after getting Lasik. Although to be fair, his control did improve). When it's all said and done he'll probably be back to a mid to high 4 ERA pitcher. He was getting a lot of unwarranted hate on his ability prior to the season, but he's also not a 2.50 ERA pitcher like he has been these past 4 starts.
April 22, 200818 yr lasik, as far as I know, has never had a noticable effect for pitchers. I don't recall ever seeing a player getting lasik and pitching better, but I do recall seeing pitchers getting lasik and it not making a difference (The one that stick out in my mind is Daniel Cabrera, who went from a 4.74 ERA to a 5.55 ERA after getting Lasik. Although to be fair, his control did improve). When it's all said and done he'll probably be back to a mid to high 4 ERA pitcher. He was getting a lot of unwarranted hate on his ability prior to the season, but he's also not a 2.50 ERA pitcher like he has been these past 4 starts. I posted an article about this a while back, and it actually has had a positive effect on a lot of athletes (including pitchers), I'll find it now
April 22, 200818 yr lasik, as far as I know, has never had a noticable effect for pitchers. I don't recall ever seeing a player getting lasik and pitching better, but I do recall seeing pitchers getting lasik and it not making a difference (The one that stick out in my mind is Daniel Cabrera, who went from a 4.74 ERA to a 5.55 ERA after getting Lasik. Although to be fair, his control did improve). When it's all said and done he'll probably be back to a mid to high 4 ERA pitcher. He was getting a lot of unwarranted hate on his ability prior to the season, but he's also not a 2.50 ERA pitcher like he has been these past 4 starts. Well it wasn't as if he got lasik and had been wearing glasses or contacts. He never wore anything to correct his vision, he practically pitched half blind. That's why the lasik thing for Hendrickson was kind of a big deal.
April 22, 200818 yr http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...t&p=1352705 Here it is I haven't read it yet but the title caught my eye (If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?) because it's something I've always said when people are like like "OMG STEROIDS ARE TEH DEVIL!!!" But thanks :thumbup
April 22, 200818 yr http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...t&p=1352705 Here it is I haven't read it yet but the title caught my eye (If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?) because it's something I've always said when people are like like "OMG STEROIDS ARE TEH DEVIL!!!" But thanks :thumbup Steroids = Illegal in the U.S. Lasik = Legal in the U.S.
April 22, 200818 yr http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...t&p=1352705 Here it is I haven't read it yet but the title caught my eye (If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?) because it's something I've always said when people are like like "OMG STEROIDS ARE TEH DEVIL!!!" But thanks :thumbup Steroids = Illegal in the U.S. Lasik = Legal in the U.S. I'm sure you get the general gist of what he's saying though... they both provide "unnatural" competitive advantages
April 22, 200818 yr http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...t&p=1352705 Here it is I haven't read it yet but the title caught my eye (If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?) because it's something I've always said when people are like like "OMG STEROIDS ARE TEH DEVIL!!!" But thanks :thumbup Steroids = Illegal in the U.S. Lasik = Legal in the U.S. I'm sure you get the general gist of what he's saying though... they both provide "unnatural" competitive advantages But the difference between corrective surgery and drugs is easy to spot.
April 22, 200818 yr I think he'll ultimately prove to be better than Obermueller, Kim, and Moehler have been in years past but don't expect these performances to keep up consistently.
April 22, 200818 yr I suppose by that standard Jim Mecir should never have been allowed to play major league ball after seven surgeries so he at least didn't spend his life in a wheelchair or if he was lucky on crutches with braces on his legs having been born with two club feet. Remember watching him drag himself back to the dugout by the end of the season with that look of pain across his face. For that matter let's bar Tommy John surgery because if there was ever a procedure that DID enhance a player's potential performance it's that. Tear that ligament, you're gone, banned for life. All Lasik does is put you on a par with your peers, Hendrickson commented that sometimes he couldn't even see his catcher's location, he was handicapped compared to other pitchers, there's no enhancement in the classic sense like steroids. It's an absurd comparison. it's not like it added five mph to his fastball or made his breaking pitches break that much more. I would guess there are fifty guys if not more playing MLB right now who have had the same procedure.
April 22, 200818 yr http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...t&p=1352705 Here it is I haven't read it yet but the title caught my eye (If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?) because it's something I've always said when people are like like "OMG STEROIDS ARE TEH DEVIL!!!" But thanks :thumbup Steroids = Illegal in the U.S. Lasik = Legal in the U.S. I'm sure you get the general gist of what he's saying though... they both provide "unnatural" competitive advantages But the difference between corrective surgery and drugs is easy to spot. This.
April 22, 200818 yr Improving through science is improving through science, regardless of the method it's implemented. I suppose by that standard Jim Mecir should never have been allowed to play major league ball after seven surgeries so he at least didn't spend his life in a wheelchair or if he was lucky on crutches with braces on his legs having been born with two club feet. Remember watching him drag himself back to the dugout by the end of the season with that look of pain across his face. For that matter let's bar Tommy John surgery because if there was ever a procedure that DID enhance a player's potential performance it's that. Tear that ligament, you're gone, banned for life. All Lasik does is put you on a par with your peers, Hendrickson commented that sometimes he couldn't even see his catcher's location, he was handicapped compared to other pitchers, there's no enhancement in the classic sense like steroids. It's an absurd comparison. it's not like it added five mph to his fastball or made his breaking pitches break that much more. I would guess there are fifty guys if not more playing MLB right now who have had the same procedure. wasn't saying that at all.
April 22, 200818 yr I was commenting on the absurdity of the contention illustrated in the headline of the story you quoted.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.