Hanley

PRESSURE? WHAT PRESSURE?

Hanley Ramirez, who has seen his batting average drop 26 points in the previous nine games, doesn't believe his new contract, or hitting third in the order, has added any pressure.

Kansas City Royals manager Trey Hillman said Sunday that he thought Ramirez was pressing a bit.

''I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself right now,'' Hillman said.

When Ramirez was told of Hillman's remarks, he said, ``I'm going to go home and get a dictionary, because I don't know what that word is.''

Ramirez also was asked if he thought the Marlins, who had lost five of six games before Tuesday, were under pressure.

''Yeah, we're under a lot of pressure,'' Ramirez said in a sarcastic response. ``We don't get pressure. That's why we are in first place.''

Ramirez remained in the third spot in the batting order, where his numbers have slipped since he left the leadoff spot. Entering Tuesday's game, he had driven in only four runs in 52 at-bats. Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez didn't rule out a change.

''I think what's best for the club right now is him to hit third, and we'll see what happens four or five days from now,'' Gonzalez said.

``Nothing is written in stone.''

from ESPN:

Ramirez was batting .268 since being dropped from first to third in the order in early May. His slugging percentage was .591 batting leadoff and .357 batting third, and Gonzalez said Ramirez may return to the top of the order Thursday.

"We'll see," Gonzalez said. "I'm 50-50 right now. He'll be in the lineup. I'm 100 percent sure of that."

I don't agree with Fredi giving him the day off versus Webb. If he wanted to do it, it should have been yesterday or tomorrow versus Haren. What signal does it send to the team to give the day off to your best hitter when facing the hottest pitcher in baseball?

That we can beat Webb without Hanley? :)

I don't agree with Fredi giving him the day off versus Webb. If he wanted to do it, it should have been yesterday or tomorrow versus Haren. What signal does it send to the team to give the day off to your best hitter when facing the hottest pitcher in baseball?

That we can beat Webb without Hanley? :)

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Can we make it official, that Hanley Ramirez likes to lead off, therefore he should be allowed without Fredi or anyone f***ing with him

Nope. His slump has nothing to do with his spot in the lineup.

I hate to bring these numbers up again but...

Twenty-eight games in the 1 spot:

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
28 129 115  23  37  5  1  8  19  10   3  24   4   0   0   1   9  3  .322  .395  .591  .986

First nine games in the 3 spot(SD, LAD, WSH):

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
9  38  28  10  11  1  0  0   2   9   0   4   0   0   1   0   4  1  .393  .526  .429  .955

Last seven games (CIN, KC, ARI):

7  32  28   3   4  1  0  1   2   3   0  11   0   0   1   1   0  0  .143  .219  .286  .505

I highly doubt it took him 9 games to realize "Oh, wait, I don't like the 3 spot". He's just slumping, he'll come out of it, no matter where he is hitting. Our lineup had been more productive with him in the 3 spot than in the 1 spot before his slump.

Can we make it official, that Hanley Ramirez likes to lead off, therefore he should be allowed without Fredi or anyone f***ing with him

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

28 129 115 23 37 5 1 8 19 10 3 24 4 0 0 1 9 3 .322 .395 .591 .986First nine games in the 3 spot(SD, LAD, WSH):

9  38  28  10  11  1  0  0   2   9   0   4   0   0   1   0   4  1  .393  .526  .429  .955

7  32  28   3   4  1  0  1   2   3   0  11   0   0   1   1   0  0  .143  .219  .286  .505

I highly doubt it took him 9 games to realize "Oh, wait, I don't like the 3 spot". He's just slumping, he'll come out of it, no matter where he is hitting. Our lineup had been more productive with him in the 3 spot than in the 1 spot before his slump.

Thank you. I was going to say that he was hitting well 3rd before he went in to a slump, but I didn't know the exact numbers.

28 129 115 23 37 5 1 8 19 10 3 24 4 0 0 1 9 3 .322 .395 .591 .986First nine games in the 3 spot(SD, LAD, WSH):

And yet everyone on this board will argue that batting 6th has made all the difference for Uggla.

Hanley should be leading off, and not because he slumping as a #3 hitter (again). Because no one else on the team is half the leadoff hitter that Hanley is.

I don't pretend to know more than Fredi and his coaches but from my perspective this team is so much more balanced with Hanley in the three hole and Uggla batting five (something I would never have expected to say at the beginning of the season) that I would really like to see what happens when Jacque Jones arrives and they address his presence in the lineup. I'm assuming he leads off and if so the right place (in my opinion) for Hanley is third.

And yet everyone on this board will argue that batting 6th has made all the difference for Uggla.

Hanley should be leading off, and not because he slumping as a #3 hitter (again). Because no one else on the team is half the leadoff hitter that Hanley is.

With Uggla it is different, because a big part of his ABs were changed by Hanley being on base in front of him. Sometimes with the hit an run on, sometimes watching good pitches go by so that Hanley could steal 2nd. Uggla himself stated that this is one reason he like batting in the 5-6 spots now, because he doesn't have to worry about Hanley stealing or not.

And as far as noone being half the leadoff hitter that Hanley is, noone else is half the hitter he is either.

I would not mind seeing this lineup tomorrow...

1. Hanley (best leadoff hitter in baseball)

2. Amezaga (can move runners over, bunt the ball, has great speed, always makes contact, etc.)

3. Hermida (patient hitter...can drive the ball to RF on hit and runs, etc.)

Then 4-8 stays the same...Jacobs, Uggla, Cantu, Gonzo, Treanor.

If I were manager, that would be my lineup for tomorrow nights game.

Alfredo actually showed some signs of life tonight. Some crisp hits off of Webb and a good reliever no less. IF..and this is a big IF...Alfredo starts hitting closer to his career average....I think you should leave him where he is and leave Hanley third in the order. Hermida is one of those guys I don't think it really matters where he hits - he's the same hitter regardless. I keep him at number 2 and hope he breaks out. However...I think you switch Jacobs and Uggla in the line up right now. This is really the only change I would make. Uggla is the far superior hitter at this moment.

This is the IDEAL line up

Amezaga (if he hits now)

Hermida

Ramirez

Uggla

Jacobs

Cantu

Gonzalez/Jones platoon

Treanor

Pitcher

Fredi REALLY needs to give the following players a day off: Hermida and Cantu. Hopefully he can do this during the next series vs San Fran.

1. Hanley (best leadoff hitter in baseball)

True.

However, so are these:

2. Hanley (best 2-hole hitter in baseball)

3. Hanley (best 3-hole hitter in baseball)

4. Hanley (best cleanup hitter in baseball)

5. Hanley (best 5-hole hitter in baseball)

6. Hanley (best 6-hole hitter in baseball)

7. Hanley (best 7-hole hitter in baseball)

8. Hanley (best 8-hole hitter in baseball)

9. Hanley (best 9-hole hitter in baseball)

Alfredo actually showed some signs of life tonight. Some crisp hits off of Webb and a good reliever no less. IF..and this is a big IF...Alfredo starts hitting closer to his career average....I think you should leave him where he is and leave Hanley third in the order. Hermida is one of those guys I don't think it really matters where he hits - he's the same hitter regardless. I keep him at number 2 and hope he breaks out. However...I think you switch Jacobs and Uggla in the line up right now. This is really the only change I would make. Uggla is the far superior hitter at this moment.

This is the IDEAL line up

Amezaga (if he hits now)

Hermida

Ramirez

Uggla

Jacobs

Cantu

Gonzalez/Jones platoon

Treanor

Pitcher

Fredi REALLY needs to give the following players a day off: Hermida and Cantu. Hopefully he can do this during the next series vs San Fran.

I don't think Amezaga's a leadoff hitter, and quite frankly, I don't think he's a starter.

Once Jones comes up, I think you'll see Gonzo, Jones, Ross, and Amezaga all split time in the OF, in some way, with Amezaga giving our infielders some rest on occasion, as he did tonight.