Best Marlins Pitcher of All Time

Putting Beckett is a dumb vote.

Beckett put up a 3.45 ERA while he was here, which is pretty damn good.

Kevin Brown put up 2.29 ERA in his two years here, including the 1.89 ERA 0.944 WHIP he put up in 1996, the year he was cheated out of a Cy Young Award (It was given to Smoltz, who put up a 2.94ERA and a 1.001 WHIP).

And yes, Brown happened to also help is win a World Series once apon a time, plus threw a no-no on the way.

I know he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, and will probably finish50 votes behind Beckett, but the correct answer is Kevin Brown. His ERA+ in 1996 was the 20th best of all time, and his career ERA+ puts him at 42nd. He should be in the hall of fame.

I didn't realize there could be a "correct" answer in an opinion poll.

I know he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, and will probably finish50 votes behind Beckett, but the correct answer is Kevin Brown. His ERA+ in 1996 was the 20th best of all time, and his career ERA+ puts him at 42nd. He should be in the hall of fame.

Well, the poll DOES ask who the best pitcher is... Statistics say Brown is... that's why I picked him...

If it was best pitched game, Beckett's would win out over the 4 No-hitters IMO

Beckett pitched that huge playoff run, but outside of that he never even sniffed something like Brown's 1996 season.

Wrong. It is so overwhelmingly in Kevin Brown's favor, any other answer is wrong.

I also voted Kevin Brown, he was a commanding presence everytime he was on the mound

Looks like some are confusing their fav with who they consider to be the best. And even the "best" is nothing more than an opinion. You can look at stats and come to a conclusion, or look at the player in general thjrough his entire career as a Marlin. But to have a deep rooted opinion and then just say it's a fact because of that would be wrong no matter the stats you put up to show it, although it happens all the time around here. In any case, my opinion would be Kevin Brown. I do believe he got robbed of the CY in '96, but you have to remember that the Braves pitchers were pulling in CYs on a regular basis back then. It wasn't so much as who was going to get it each year as it was which Braves pitcher was going to get it. And Kevin was pitching for a new franchise with a losing record. That shouldn't matter, but it does. But KB as HOF material?? Only if the amount of club house TVs that were bashed in after a less than spectacular outing counted. He was very intense. Players knew better than to even try to approach him before one of his starts.

Well, the poll DOES ask who the best pitcher is... Statistics say Brown is... that's why I picked him...

If it was best pitched game, Beckett's would win out over the 4 No-hitters IMO

Beckett pitched that huge playoff run, but outside of that he never even sniffed something like Brown's 1996 season.

However, he put the question in an opinion poll. An opinion can't be right or wrong, because it is someone's opinion.

Wrong. It is so overwhelmingly in Kevin Brown's favor, any other answer is wrong.

And yet he is trailing Becket in an OPINION poll 29 to 10. Stats can say one thing, but the fans eyes, hearts and minds say another.

Until I see a pitcher have a greater impact on a season for me it will always be Bryan Harvey. If you didn't see it, it would be almost impossible to understand, but if one ballplayer ever carried an entire team on his shoulders for a season it was Bryan Harvey in 1993.

For those who did, especially in person, it almost became a religious experience as the season rolled on. He was the savior. And his humility and the burdens of his personal life made it only more glorious.

And yet he is trailing Becket in an OPINION poll 29 to 10. Stats can say one thing, but the fans eyes, hearts and minds say another.

No, it just means the fans are reading the conclusion the book instead of the whole novel...