Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Matt Lindstrom

Featured Replies

I was just checking Matt Lindstrom's gamelog for this year...

 

After he was sent down to Albuquerque and brought back up, he has done this:

 

Record: 2-1

Holds: 9

ERA: 1.53

WHIP: 1.19

K/BB: 18/8 (in 23.2 innings)

 

Not exactly dominant, but he's improved plenty since getting called up, again. The ERA would be lower had Fredi used him correctly in Game 1 at Atlanta the other night, as well.

 

The one thing I dislike is that with his stuff...he should be getting some more K's. Surprisingly though, the better portion of his outs are coming via groundballs, the last 2 months (surprising b/c his ball doesn't really have sink, in it).

 

NOTE: A lot of these #'s are a bit deceiving, as well, b/c Lindstrom had a GREAT month of July (11.1 scoreless innings, in July)...his August was a bit more "average-looking," per say.

 

Hopefully Matt is given a chance at some save opportunites in September...and we get to see some of Tucker in middle relief (for the time being), as well.

Do we have to go through this same argument again? yes Lindstrom is our closer.

  • Author

Do we have to go through this same argument again? yes Lindstrom is our closer.

 

 

I think we do b/c everytime people say Lindstrom should be closer, they mention potential (which isn't really a word used for 28 year olds), as well as the fact that he throws 100. Rarely do you see his stats since being called back up, which actually show some improvement in his pitching.

 

His ERA has dropped by almost 2 runs.

  • Author

Haven't I done enough to prove his case?

 

 

No...when he came in today, you weren't around to post his pic, with fire around it. :p

Haven't I done enough to prove his case?

 

 

No...when he came in today, you weren't around to post his pic, with fire around it. :p

I don't think Lindstrom is the certain closer. Look at the opp avg.

He is just a reliever who can throw the triple-digit fastball.

 

I know this is the inevitable situation.

It must be temporary.

I don't think Lindstrom is the certain closer. Look at the opp avg.

He is just a reliever who can throw the triple-digit fastball.

 

I know this is the inevitable situation.

It must be temporary.

I don't like using BA for anything. His opponent OPS is only .577 since the break.

I don't think Lindstrom is the certain closer. Look at the opp avg.

He is just a reliever who can throw the triple-digit fastball.

 

I know this is the inevitable situation.

It must be temporary.

 

And Tucker is pretty much a fastball guy as well, but with less velocity.

 

Who do you suggest is the closer of the future by this logic?

Linstrom is our close for the rest of tghe season

next year will use him and have tucker in the pen but if tucker puts up great numbers hes the closer in 2010 unless Lindy screws up next year

  • Author

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

yes u are the only one, Gregg has lost the job, period. If he hasn't, i am serious when i say somebody deserves a punch in the face, most likely Fredi.

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

yes u are the only one, Gregg has lost the job, period. If he hasn't, i am serious when i say somebody deserves a punch in the face, most likely Fredi.

 

Fredi Gonzalez isn't the one calling the shots.

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

yes u are the only one, Gregg has lost the job, period. If he hasn't, i am serious when i say somebody deserves a punch in the face, most likely Fredi.

 

Fredi Gonzalez isn't the one calling the shots.

 

I know, I just feel like punching Fredi, then I can get him to show some emotion for a change

  • Author

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

yes u are the only one, Gregg has lost the job, period. If he hasn't, i am serious when i say somebody deserves a punch in the face, most likely Fredi.

 

 

I'm not saying Gregg automatically deserves the role; I'm just saying I have a funny feeling he'll automatically get it back, even if Lindstrom does pitch well, before he (Gregg) comes back.

 

And I wouldn't blame it on Fredi...if it happens, that'll probably come from the front office; I'm sure if it was up to the front office, Gregg would be closing games. That's just the business part of the game.

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

If they give him the closer job back ill flip. I mena hed be fin in long relieve of wash up games wha tever just not any where near the end of a close game.

 

 

I think lindstrom could definently close. he just needs to get that slider down and he will be like lidge, i wish hed try throwing a 2 seamer i bet it would move like crazy with his speed. And id like tucker as his set up man next year. Man what a combo in the 8th and 9th if they both get some offf speed pitches down. Then after lindstrom doesnt blow one save in 09 after we win the WS and wants tons of money we let him go and tucker closes for us.

  • Author

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

If they give him the closer job back ill flip. I mena hed be fin in long relieve of wash up games wha tever just not any where near the end of a close game.

 

 

I think lindstrom could definently close. he just needs to get that slider down and he will be like lidge, i wish hed try throwing a 2 seamer i bet it would move like crazy with his speed. And id like tucker as his set up man next year. Man what a combo in the 8th and 9th if they both get some offf speed pitches down. Then after lindstrom doesnt blow one save in 09 after we win the WS and wants tons of money we let him go and tucker closes for us.

 

Lindstrom's slider and Lidge's slider, slide very differently.

Lindstrom's often looks like a sharp curve.

If its an improvement from Gregg and we dont have any better options (we dont, and it is) and he really should be our closer in the future, we might as well just give it to him.

If its an improvement from Gregg and we dont have any better options (we dont, and it is) and he really should be our closer in the future, we might as well just give it to him.

 

I kind of agree with you...

Am I the only one who thinks Gregg is automatically given his role back when he comes back from "injury?" To me, the "injury" seemed like an excuse to not make him feel bad...and give him the role back, automatically.

 

 

No, i think he'll be handed the job back to, unless lindstrom becomes dominate. I think they'll ease him back then put him back in the closers position.

I was just checking Matt Lindstrom's gamelog for this year...

 

After he was sent down to Albuquerque and brought back up, he has done this:

 

Record: 2-1

Holds: 9

ERA: 1.53

WHIP: 1.19

K/BB: 18/8 (in 23.2 innings)

 

Not exactly dominant, but he's improved plenty since getting called up, again. The ERA would be lower had Fredi used him correctly in Game 1 at Atlanta the other night, as well.

 

The one thing I dislike is that with his stuff...he should be getting some more K's. Surprisingly though, the better portion of his outs are coming via groundballs, the last 2 months (surprising b/c his ball doesn't really have sink, in it).

 

NOTE: A lot of these #'s are a bit deceiving, as well, b/c Lindstrom had a GREAT month of July (11.1 scoreless innings, in July)...his August was a bit more "average-looking," per say.

 

Hopefully Matt is given a chance at some save opportunites in September...and we get to see some of Tucker in middle relief (for the time being), as well.

 

I agree with you Erik about getting more K's. Like I've said in my previous posts. Matt has no confidence in his off-spead stuff. Mark Wiley engrained it into his mind that he shouldn't get beat on his second best pitches. However, you and I know you have to have something to throw the hitters off. I gaurantee that he will feel more comfortable next year because he has plans on fixing him being one-dimensional. Right now he is probably just going to go with locating the fastball and stay with what's working this year. He has lowered his E.R.A from 5.18 relying on the fastball-I would like to see less hits per inning and more strikeouts. They will come but we probably won't see them this year. Next year will be fun to see his development.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.