Four Teams Inquire About Hermida

Admin

Four teams have already inquired with the Marlins about Jeremy Hermida, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

Florida seems to have soured on Hermida somewhat, so he could well be available. The Marlins could target a young closer or a third baseman in return.

--- RotoWorld.com

Depends on what we're getting.

During the trade deadline, I think it was Hermida, Tucker, and Gaby for Manny/Bay before Pitt decided to be bitches and demanded Stanton? There were so many things out there I'm not sure what the exact thing was but prior to Pit demanding Stanton, it was a reasonable price for us to give up.

I mean, Hermida will probably only be here two more years anyway, traded right before the last year of his arbitration.

If we can get a OFer who's going to be OPSing .900 (a.k.a. what Hermida might become) and then we just get two draft picks for him after the season or next season, why the f*** not?

Unfortunately, not many fit that list. I mean, 1) it'd have to be from a team that won't be contending or a low market team 2) It'd still have to be somebody not making much money, a.k.a. somebody who had their arbitration years bought out like Bay did. The only player that really fits that mold is Brad Hawpe, who will probably only be a low .800 OPS guy moving from Coors to here. Brian Giles could also be an option of SD picked up a few mil (due 9m), which I'm sure they would since they are in rebuilding mode and won't have much money on the books next season.

We could also get real creative and do something like move Uggla for a Cain, and then move Hermida to fill 2b with a OF of Hammer/Maybin/Cody. Unfortunately, only Brian Roberts really fits there for us. And I believe BAL wants a TON for him, plus we'd have a lot of competition.

By suggesting we would want a young 3B in return, does that hint at Cantu moving to first, providing we resign him?

However, the thought of trading him for a closer makes me reach for the whiskey bottle. Talk about an overvalued commodity. Has Beinfest learned nothing? Take one of our cheap young guys and groom him for the spot. Paying for a closer by giving up top tier talent is perhaps one of the worst investments a team can make in baseball.

Keep in mind that the closer/third baseman part is just thought on the Rotoworld guy, not something actually substantial.

I have no problem dealing Hermida if the price is right. And this is coming from someone who has been patient/supportive of him.

However, the thought of trading him for a closer makes me reach for the whiskey bottle. Talk about an overvalued commodity. Has Beinfest learned nothing? Take one of our cheap young guys and groom him for the spot. Paying for a closer by giving up top tier talent is perhaps one of the worst investments a team can make in baseball.

That's Rotoworld's thinking, not Beinfest.

With it being obvious that the FO is looking at Tucker or Lindstrom as the closer of the future, I highly doubt they will trade for one. Sometimes Rotoworld doesn't really think about things like depth.

I hope one of those teams asking about Hermida is SF as part of an Uggla deal because I'm not sure if he get's us too much on his own. Maybe we could do something like Uggla/Hermida/Thompson or Sinkbeil for Cain/Bumgarner. If they want a SP to plug into their rotation right away like Anibal or Olsen instead of one of our minor league SP than I'd be fine with that too.

I hope one of those teams asking about Hermida is SF as part of an Uggla deal because I'm not sure if he get's us too much on his own. Maybe we could do something like Uggla/Hermida/Thompson or Sinkbeil for Cain/Bumgarner. If they want a SP to plug into their rotation right away like Anibal or Olsen instead of one of our minor league SP than I'd be fine with that too.

That made my head hurt.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this blurb was within a JAKE PEAVY article on fox sports. Here's some food for thought.

Articles say the front office is allowed to bring back the whole team if they want. So this to me says, $40 million payroll is cool.

If you throw out Uggla, Hermida, Miller, and say Sinkbiel/Mobley/Wood/Doolittle, to the Padres and you ask for Peavy and some other nominal 2nd player, that is a done deal on the spot. It gives them a top top pitching prospect, a top 5 2B in baseball 3 years from Arb, an OF with all the ability in the world they can sit on for a year where we may want to contend, and a RP prospect which they are always money with. We get Peavy. Also, if you say we can't afford Peavy. Uggla is coming in mids 4s, Hermida mid 2s, Miller $1.3... that all adds up to around $8,000,000 - Peavy's 2009 salary. Talk about salary deflection right there.

John Baker $405,000

Jorge Cantu $4,500,000

Chris Coghlan $400,000

Dallas McPherson $600,000

Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000

Josh Willingham $2,000,000

Cameron Maybin $400,000

Cody Ross $3,000,000

Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000

Wes Helms $950,000

Gaby Sanchez $400,000

Veteran 4th OF $1,000,000

Vet. RH Catcher $400,000

Jake Peavy $8,000,000

Josh Johnson $1,750,000

Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000

Scott Olsen $2,250,000

Chris Volstad $405,000

Matt Lindstrom $425,000

Joe Nelson $800,000

Reynel Pinto $425,000

Anibal Sanchez $425,000

Logan Kensing $550,000

Taylor Tankeresly $415,000

Ryan Tucker $400,000

$40,150,000

This is trading Uggla, Hermida, and A. Miller for Peavy, and then dealing Gregg and Jacobs off the team for another OF, catcher, or RP.

Just musing here. I suspect no one has a problem with this team.

It's certainly fun to muse about a Jake Peavy, but my opinion of this Marlin's regime is that they just do not like to have pitchers signed to long term deals. I could certainly see them making this type of move for a hitter somewhere out there, as was speculated by NNY; but if we were unwilling to sign Beckett long term, I don't see us giving up players for any pitcher signed for big money.

How about the other article from Joel Sherman today saying the Dodgers might put Russell Martin on the block? How about we speculate on that one?

That made my head hurt.

I have no problem with people thinking this is a dumb idea, but please explain why. I can't tell if you think this is a bad deal for us or for them. It's all speculation at this point, but people here have talked about Cain for Uggla being 1 for 1. I don't see how Hermida/One of our Minor league SP isn't worth Bumgarner. No way the Giants would do the Bumgarner part by itself (Hermida kind of sucks), but as part of a bigger deal with Uggla, maybe.

I have no problem with people thinking this is a dumb idea, but please explain why. I can't tell if you think this is a bad deal for us or for them. It's all speculation at this point, but people here have talked about Cain for Uggla being 1 for 1. I don't see how Hermida/One of our Minor league SP isn't worth Bumgarner. No way the Giants would do the Bumgarner part by itself (Hermida kind of sucks), but as part of a bigger deal with Uggla, maybe.

Because the Giants are not trading multiple starting pitchers.

I'm fine trading Hermida, either alone or a part of a package, probably with Willingham, Jacobs, and Gregg. Most importantly I'd like a good hitting prospect or two to play LF.

And while I think the idea of "targeting" a closer in a trade is silly, I think picking up as many serviceable bullpen arms as we can is never a bad idea. You can throw them all into the mix and see who fits as closer later.

Also while we're at it, I wouldn't mind looking into a Lefty SP.

But yeah, I think Hermida is far from untouchable. I'd be happy to see him and all his potential traded.

Here is the link on Martin, btw:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/sport...4316.htm?page=2

You want a surprise name that could end up out on the trade market? How about Dodgers catcher Russell Martin? Rival executives say the Dodgers are not overly enamored with his makeup and at a time when front-line catchers are hard to find, Los Angeles could decide to see what his value is. The Tigers, Marlins and Reds are all looking for catching, and the Red Sox would be, too, if free agent Jason Varitek departed.

Here is the link on Martin, btw:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/sport...4316.htm?page=2

You want a surprise name that could end up out on the trade market? How about Dodgers catcher Russell Martin? Rival executives say the Dodgers are not overly enamored with his makeup and at a time when front-line catchers are hard to find, Los Angeles could decide to see what his value is. The Tigers, Marlins and Reds are all looking for catching, and the Red Sox would be, too, if free agent Jason Varitek departed.

hell yeah i'd want martin. but i'm not sure who we'd have to offer and who do the dodgers have in their organization at catcher to replace martin's production.