All-time *sigh* What Could Have Been team

HawkFan

Several weeks ago, there was a topic debating the all-time Marlins team, which got me thinking- what about an all-time team of plyers that never really had their chance to make their mark in teal. They could be players who were only with the franchise a short time beofre moving on and finding (varying) degrees of success, or might never have played a game w/ the big club. Or, they could be a player that had promise and potential, but never lived up to it. Some are easy, others are stretches, so I'd be interested in what everyone else has to say.

1B-Adrian Gonzalez- It took letting go of the overall #1 2000 Draft Pick to acquire Urbina enroute to the 03 Trophy, which sung after seeing him in ST 2001 and 2002. He's gone on to lead the PAdres in hitting twice and just made his first All-Star team. Still is getting better.

2B-Pablo Ozuna- When we traded Edgar to the Cardinals in 98, Pablo was the key part of the trade. A natural athlete, after making a splash in hiting and base running, and making several All-Star teams his first two seasons, he looked to be Major-League ready. One problem- we already had Luis. Attempts to move him to the OF in ST didn't go anywhere, and never really establised himself; still is playing, though, and won a WS w/ the White Sox.

SS-Walt Weiss- Played on the inagural squad before jumping ship to our expansion brethern to the west. Decent career post-Florida, making an All-Star and WS appearance w/ the Braves.

3B-Josh Booty- #1 Draft pick who got a then-record signing bonus, then proceeded to blow it all on cars. Could never hit a breaking ball, and couldn't win the sarting 3b job despite it being gift-wrapped for him following Bobby Bo's departure. Had to play out his contract in mediocrity before pursuing his true love of fooball at LSU an eventually the NFL. Recently tased after a DUI.

OF-Randy Winn- This is a stretch, but he did make an AS game on the lowly Rays, and hit an inside-the-park Grand Slam. Could have been a starter w/ the trade of Moises and Sheff if the Rays hadn't snagged him in the expansion draft, first.

OF-Billy McMillon- He was a great hitting prospect, making several all-star rosters/honors lists; two-tme Marlins Minor League Player of the Year. Could have been a mainstay w/ the Marlins, but we traded him for Darren Daulton. Never could get regular playing time after that. Bummer, heck of a nice guy. Was here for his major league debut, when he got a hit.

OF-Manny Ramrez- Whether you believe the Marlins FO that there were no serious discussions, or if you believe PIT/BS and our refusal to part ways w/ Stanton was the only thing keeping this deal from being a reality, the simple fact is he single-handidly carried the Dodgers on his back to the NLCs; our July and August could have been substantially better, and we could have had a Sunshine Sate WS right now.

C-Mike Piazza- Come on, only 5 games!?! Instead of being arguably the Mets' best all-time hitter, he could have just as easily been wearing a "F" on his eventual HOF plaque. I have what I believe are all of his cards in a Marins uniform, including a gme used jersey card!

DH/PH-Carl Everett- Was on the Inagural team, only played in 40 gmes or so for us. Went on to decent success, incuding two AS games and a WS ring.

RH SP-John Lynch- First pitch thrown in organziation's history (I also believe he threw the first no-hitter, as well, w/ Erie), could have been a fierce competitor on the mound. Can't say as I blame him, though, for pursuing his fortunes as a Safety. After a Sper Bowl ring and perennial pro bowls, he'll probably be a HOF'er.

LH SP- Johan Santana- Rule V draftee that was a Marlin for 5 mintes before then being traded to the Twins. *sigh*

RP- Miguel Batista- Was in our bullpen in 96, has gone on to moderate success both as a reliever and starter for Toronto.

CP- Trevor Hoffman- Eventual reatest all-time closer was traded for Sheff the first season.

So who all do you think fits on this list, or shouldn't be on it?

OF-Manny Ramrez- Whether you believe the Marlins FO that there were no serious discussions, or if you believe PIT/BS and our refusal to part ways w/ Stanton was the only thing keeping this deal from being a reality, the simple fact is he single-handidly carried the Dodgers on his back to the NLCs; our July and August could have been substantially better, and we could have had a Sunshine Sate WS right now.

Where's the guarantee? 5 difference is hard to do on a single player.

Weren't we only able to draft Santana based on the agreement with Minnesota? I don't recall the exact details but I know it wasn't just us drafting him and then deciding to trade him.

The Marlins picked behind the Twins, actually; but we wanted Jared Camp, the Twins threatened to take him, we gave them $500,000 to take Camp and trade him to us for who the Twins wanted - Santana....those five minutes sure were a grand time for Marlin fans though!

Weren't we only able to draft Santana based on the agreement with Minnesota? I don't recall the exact details but I know it wasn't just us drafting him and then deciding to trade him.

The Marlins picked behind the Twins, actually; but we wanted Jared Camp, the Twins threatened to take him, we gave them $500,000 to take Camp and trade him to us for who the Twins wanted - Santana....those five minutes sure were a grand time for Marlin fans though!

Actually, in those 5 mins, it was just the Marlins trading one ok farm hand for another.

Don't forget, Santana was never a top prospect. Just another Rule 5 guy who ended up hitting it big.

RH SP-John Lynch- First pitch thrown in organziation's history (I also believe he threw the first no-hitter, as well, w/ Erie), could have been a fierce competitor on the mound. Can't say as I blame him, though, for pursuing his fortunes as a Safety. After a Sper Bowl ring and perennial pro bowls, he'll probably be a HOF'er.

Rather doubt this. I have seen and read interviews with him and he is the first to say he wasn't a very good pitcher. When he made the final career choice, he made the correct decision. HOFer? Maybe. Kinda borderline, IMO. And there are other Broncos' safetys that deserve making the HOF before him.

Seeing you put in Santana, you forgot another 5 minute pitcher we got in a trade. Said he didn't want to play here, that he wanted to play for a team that had a chance at the post season instead. Happened between the '02 and '03 seasons. That should be enough clues.

Rather doubt this. I have seen and read interviews with him and he is the first to say he wasn't a very good pitcher. When he made the final career choice, he made the correct decision. HOFer? Maybe. Kinda borderline, IMO. And there are other Broncos' safetys that deserve making the HOF before him.

Seeing you put in Santana, you forgot another 5 minute pitcher we got in a trade. Said he didn't want to play here, that he wanted to play for a team that had a chance at the post season instead. Happened between the '02 and '03 seasons. That should be enough clues.

I'll have to go through my old Marlins magazines from the Inagural season, but I'm reasonably sure I read it in there...perhaps in the inagural yearbook. I'm also pretty sure this was on one of his football cards, as well.

While I'm sure he ended up being a much better football player than he would have been a baseball player, he was w/ Erie, which was a Rookie League team...perhaps not all that difficult after all.

As far as his HOF status, one would have to agree that it's much easier to get into Canton than it is Cooperstown. Heck, they put in Michael Irvin, which was another marginal pick, IMO.

Hampton?

C-Mike Piazza- Come on, only 5 games!?! Instead of being arguably the Mets' best all-time hitter, he could have just as easily been wearing a "F" on his eventual HOF plaque. I have what I believe are all of his cards in a Marins uniform, including a gme used jersey card!

I need to ask you to first, send me a PM with what cards you have. I too feel like I have alot of Fish Piazza Cards, so lets see if we can pair up. I currently have about 400 of his cards, mostly 1993 to 2002.

Then, go buy yourself a beer and say to everyone its from me.

Thanks

Chris

Piazza31

I'll have to go through my old Marlins magazines from the Inagural season, but I'm reasonably sure I read it in there...perhaps in the inagural yearbook. I'm also pretty sure this was on one of his football cards, as well.

While I'm sure he ended up being a much better football player than he would have been a baseball player, he was w/ Erie, which was a Rookie League team...perhaps not all that difficult after all.

As far as his HOF status, one would have to agree that it's much easier to get into Canton than it is Cooperstown. Heck, they put in Michael Irvin, which was another marginal pick, IMO.

I'm not 100% sure on that either. It would be interesting to find out. But the idea isn't real convincing. At that level pitchers aren't allowed to go that far in games. His own comments made it clear he wasn't very good. And it's the first time I have heard it. I'm a Broncos fan and a big Lynch fan. So it seems like I would have read something, somewhere if this was true. But I don't read everything or have heard everything. Keep us posted on that. It would be a great trivia question down the road.

In the past, because of media coverage back in the day, it was far easier for eastern, and most notable NE teams' players to make the HOF than it was for the western teams players. There are many Broncos players from the 60's and 70's that should be in the HOF. But the name recognition thing got in the way. I do believe you will start seeing a more balanced HOF class from now on out. But Lynch is very marginal, IMO. Steve Atwater should make it before him. And that's just the most recent retired Bronco safety. There are more.

IMO, Irvin was more political than actually earned. There are WRs with better numbers. But they didn't play on America's Team. And does anyone think it was just a coincident that his name was announced the same year the SB was played in Miami??? It also goes down to what team they played on and how those teams fared. Bob Griese didn't have the #s and actually got in because of that undefeated season, which he had very little to do with. Neither did Namath. I would even argue Bradshaw. And I'm just on QBs.

Of course this all just opinion. Means nothing at all. So sorry if I offended you Dolfans with the Griese statement.

I don't think it was Hampton, because I really doubt the Fish wanted to keep him anyway.

He was more of a way to move salary.

I believe the Marlins did want Hampton but like it was said above, he wanted to play for a playoff team.

You and MillerTime are right. It was Hampton. In no way was that trade a salary move. After we got him from the Rockies we immediately traded him away to the Braves, a team he had previously okayed, and then ate a good chunk of his salary for the next couple years. It kinda sucked for us, but we did get the last laugh.