Jacobs deal opens door for Sanchez in Florida

Ralph

Jacobs deal opens door for Sanchez in Florida

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

The season ended well for Gaby Sanchez. He took a few days off, maybe a week. But he tends to get restless, and so it was in early October that he resumed his work as a hitter, taking some swings at some teed-up baseballs.

"I like to have the feel of the swing -- I like to hit," he said the other day, sounding like someone describing how he likes to start his day with a good cup of coffee.

He will continue to hit regularly throughout the offseason, and he's working out with a conditioning coach at the University of Miami in an effort to drop some weight, and to put himself in the best possible condition and position to attempt to take advantage of the opportunity that he is face-to-face with right now. The Florida Marlins traded Mike Jacobs to the Kansas City Royals, and it was shortly thereafter that Sanchez's agent, Dan Horwits, phoned to tell him the news, as Sanchez stood outside at a barbecue.

The Marlins made the deal partly because Jacobs is eligible for arbitration, like so many other Florida players, and the Marlins need to save where they can. But they also made the deal partly because they believe that Sanchez is ready for the big leagues. "I'm excited, because it's a better shot to win the position in spring training -- but there are a lot of guys who are going to be going for that job," said Sanchez. "So you have to prepare and put yourself in the best possible position."

He will hit a lot this offseason, continuing a regimen that is essentially year-round. Sanchez, who batted .314 with 17 homers, 92 RBIs and a .404 on-base percentage in Double-A in '08, liked to get to the ballpark by 1:30 on a lot of days during the season so he could to do some tee work with a teammate, before regular batting practice a few hours later. There were days when the Carolina Mudcats' staff would order the players to stay away from the park, in an effort to teach them to preserve their bodies over the course of the long season. What you have to do under those circumstances, Sanchez explained, is make sure that you get to the ballpark before the coaches, to get in your daily fix of hitting. It appears that Sanchez will be doing his early-early work in National League parks next season.

ESPN - Buster Olney Blog

whether or not buster olney is a reliable authority, it is pleasing on some level that he is taking notice of one of our young guns, esp. someone who has been talked about a lot on this forum recently. also, considering how much we all bitch about ESPN not taking notice of our team, its nice to hear they have some reaction to the Mike Jacobs deal. A deal that there is a lot of reason to be optimistic about, for a number of reasons, including the faith it shows in our corner infield prospects, which is all the article really was saying, that gaby now will get a shot to play.

obviously the only thing that matters is how he performs next season, not whether or not olney thinks he will.

I love how we always find things to get into pissing matches about, though. :thumbup

I am not really sold on Sanchez, but he really right now we are in a very low risk situation. If he doesn't work out and sucks this season, we can maybe switch mid season and put Cantu at first, McPherson/Helms platoon at 3rd. We cannot lose imo.

Interesting.

If Buster Olney is already paying attention... That's a good thing.

Olney was also the one that said trading for Manny might have been a good thing for the Marlins.

And it may have been... Manny did hit 17 home runs after the break I believe.

Let's not make this another Manny thread. The point is, it would have been ridiculous to trade a top prospect (Stanton) and Hermida, who still has some potential, for half a season of someone who might have had a shot at putting the Marlins into the playoffs.

Interesting.

Olney was also the one that said trading for Manny might have been a good thing for the Marlins.

Let's not make this another Manny thread. The point is, it would have been ridiculous to trade a top prospect (Stanton) and Hermida, who still has some potential, for half a season of someone who might have had a shot at putting the Marlins into the playoffs.

That's why we didn't make the trade.

BUT, it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a good thing. We traded an All-Star first baseman in waiting for a set-up/closer who's now in prison. In hindsight you say you'd make that trade 1000x over. But when it really happened, what'd you think?

If Manny would have brought this team a world series championship, was it worth Stanton and Hermida? Absolutely.

Interesting.

BUT, it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a good thing. We traded an All-Star first baseman in waiting for a set-up/closer who's now in prison. In hindsight you say you'd make that trade 1000x over. But when it really happened, what'd you think?

If Manny would have brought this team a world series championship, was it worth Stanton and Hermida? Absolutely.

We had Jason Stokes! Who needs Adrian Gonzalez anyway?

Interesting.

We traded a minor leaguer with potential for a guy that helped us win a Championship. Adrian had never even seen a day in the majors at that point. He didn't even get any ABs until the following year, and then just a few. And not all that many the year after that. That was a heck of a trade for us, one I was for at that time. Remember, at that time we had a young GG caliber 1B that we thought would be with the team for some time to come. Texas should be the ones complaining. They got "burned" at both ends of the Adrian deals, IMO. Where are the other two guys we gave up in that trade?? Will Smith and Ryan Snare ever do anything?? I never even bothered to follow their careers. Did anyone??

You people keep talking like Manny was chomping at the bits at the opportunity to play for us. I really doubt that was true and may have had alot more to do with the non-trade than we have been led to believe. Is everyone just ignoring he could say no to any trade?? Think of it this way.... When you see guys that have contracts saying they will only agree to be be traded to certain teams, has Florida ever been on that list??

You people keep talking like Manny was chomping at the bits at the opportunity to play for us. I really doubt that was true and may have had alot more to do with the non-trade than we have been led to believe. Is everyone just ignoring he could say no to any trade?? Think of it this way.... When you see guys that have contracts saying they will only agree to be be traded to certain teams, has Florida ever been on that list??

Noone is ignoring anything. It was widely reported that he said he would have OKed the trade to Florida.

Noone is ignoring anything. It was widely reported that he said he would have OKed the trade to Florida.

Yea... Plus, weren't we better than LA at that point? AND come seasons end... No reason to decline a trade here.

Riiiiight. A bunch of talking heads saying it. Sure did keep those phones ringing for the talk shows. Never saw one direct quote from him or heard him say it. But he also said he wanted to remain a Dodger for the rest of his career. Shall we go back further to other things it was reported him saying in his career? Just dosen't make sense he would even want to come here if you don't let the bias get in the way of logical thinking. But you all believe what you want. I doubt it was a serious deal from the start. Beinfest might at first been hoping, but Pitt was using us as leverage and I think Admin had that figured out. One good clue?? I asked him soon after that about Benny (Santiago, at the Ice Cream Festival) and he thought I had asked him about Manny. He said (direct quote), "Can Manny pitch?"

Yea... Plus, weren't we better than LA at that point? AND come seasons end... No reason to decline a trade here.

Plenty of reasons for someone that thrives on and demands attention. Bigger market with better attendance. In a very weak division on a team that only needed one or 2 extra bats to take it. A team with tons of history that the talking heads take notice of even when they are just mediocre. For every reason I'm given of why he would okay the trade, I can give 3 of why the reports were either false or it was "Manny just being Manny" after the fact.