Salary Dump

ArtVandelet

This is nothing more than a salary dump by the Marlins, plain and simple. Both Willingham and Olsen were up for arbitration and were about to make some decent money. So instead of paying them, they move them for nothing. Two of the three are not prospects and Bonifacio lost the 2B job to Anderson Hernandez.

As strange as it is for the Marlins to be swimming in infielders, the Nationals are in the same boat in the outfield and Bowden says he brought in Willingham to play out there and not at first.

If Bonifacio sticks, Andino's days are done here. too bad, always liked the kid (which is not to say I think he's an everyday ML talent). he has some skills but it appears not enough of them to durvive the incredibly competitive word of MLB.

Oh BTW, EB is tearing up the Domincan League and Brett Carroll just broke a bone in his hand playing there.

And if we had kept them, where would they have played? They both were making more money than our more talented replacements.

I'd say it was simply convenient that we had better players, who are cheap, to replace decent players who are expensive.

Not a salary dump.

When you shed payroll and by all accounts not get anything worthwhile in return, that's a salary dump.

And if we had kept them, where would they have played? They both were making more money than our more talented replacements.

I'd say it was simply convenient that we had better players, who are cheap, to replace decent players who are expensive.

Not a salary dump.

When you shed payroll and by all accounts not get anything worthwhile in return, that's a salary dump.

We got a major-league quality infielder, who posesses the skillset we're looking for, and two low single-A prospects who are to be determined in value (but this franchise has too many ML-ready guys, and needs to continue to build in the lower levels).

We're replacing these two players with BETTER in-house options.

That is not a salary dump. Sorry.

Not a salary dump.

We got a major-league quality infielder, who posesses the skillset we're looking for, and two low single-A prospects who are to be determined in value (but this franchise has too many ML-ready guys, and needs to continue to build in the lower levels).

Where's the major league quality infielder? Bonifacio has not shown much with the bat in the minors and I don't think he's the great defensive whiz some are making him out to be.

Irregardless of who the team is replacing Willingham and Olsen with, it's a salary dump.

And one could argue that Miller has the talent and potential to be better than Olsen, you'll get no argument from me. But where is the better in-house option over Willingham?

Not a salary dump.

Lables are the least of our worries. Depending on what Beinfest does next it could be a salary dump or replacement.

Not a salary dump.

Where's the major league quality infielder? Bonifacio has not shown much with the bat in the minors and I don't think he's the great defensive whiz some are making him out to be.

Irregardless of who the team is replacing Willingham and Olsen with, it's a salary dump.

And one could argue that Miller has the talent and potential to be better than Olsen, you'll get no argument from me. But where is the better in-house option over Willingham?

Bonifacio has been mentioned as a potential gold-glove player. He has 50+ stolen base speed. That is exactly what this team wanted, and it's exactly what it got.

And you're going to tell me you wanted Willingham over Ross going into 2009? I would certainly respect that opinion, you wouldn't be alone, but you would be the minority.

My problem is that you all are making 'salary dump' sound like such a bad thing, when in this case it's not only not bad, it is necessary with the Marlins situation.

It is what it is.

See but you are on the side that believes the Marlins got market value for Olsen and Willingham. You would be in the minority there.

No one has a problem with the Marlins moving Willingham and Olsen. What people have a problem with is the return the Marlins received.

Not a salary dump.

Bonifacio has been mentioned as a potential gold-glove player. He has 50+ stolen base speed. That is exactly what this team wanted, and it's exactly what it got.

And you're going to tell me you wanted Willingham over Ross going into 2009? I would certainly respect that opinion, you wouldn't be alone, but you would be the minority.

I don't see much of a reason why Ross would be any better than Willingham in 2009 (unless Willingham's bat is shot, and even then it's arguable. If it's not shot, I don't see Ross' OPS touching Willingham's)

It's nice that Bonifacio has great speed, but if he's not getting on base, it won't matter.

I don't see much of a reason why Ross would be any better than Willingham in 2009 (unless Willingham's bat is shot, and even then it's arguable. If it's not shot, I don't see Ross' OPS touching Willingham's)

It's nice that Bonifacio has great speed, but if he's not getting on base, it won't matter.

I'm not saying I wanted Benifacio, but it's clear that the front office accomplished what they wanted to. That was their goal, and they reached it.

And Ross and Willingham should have similar numbers, and if Willingham is healthy he should be slightly better offensively. Take defense, age, price tag, and health into account, and I'd say that once again we accomplished what we wanted to.

Just because the Marlins got what they wanted, does not make it a good move or a non salary dump.

You own a 2002 Porsche 911, you buy a 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo. Selling the 2002 Porsche for half of the perceived worth just because you now have a better option/need the garage space is not exactly smart. Yea, you got what you wanted but everyone else thinks you're quite stupid.

My problem is that you all are making 'salary dump' sound like such a bad thing, when in this case it's not only not bad, it is necessary with the Marlins situation.

It is what it is.

See but you are on the side that believes the Marlins got market value for Olsen and Willingham. You would be in the minority there.

No one has a problem with the Marlins moving Willingham and Olsen. What people have a problem with is the return the Marlins received.

What you get is ultimately the true market value.

Yea maybe something else better was on the table, but I'm on the side that says the market probably wasn't huge for the two of them. We'll never know what other offers might have been out there, but I gotta think other options were explored.

It is what it is.

What you get is ultimately the true market value.

Yea maybe something else better was on the table, but I'm on the side that says the market probably wasn't huge for the two of them. We'll never know what other offers might have been out there, but I gotta think other options were explored.

Exactly. Beinfest is one of the most shrewd GM's in this game, and arguably the best at receiving premium value in trade returns.

I'm a firm believer that if this is what we got, it was probably the best we could. We had a logjam in the outfield and in the rotation, and both of these guys needed to move in order to create space, regardless of payroll.

You're mostly right, but you can't say this franchise has too many ML-ready guys. We need another 1-2 legitimate SP prospects that could be ML-ready soon as well as a right-handed catcher (unless we pick up an FA). Also, our outfielders are only borderline ML-ready (Raynor et al)

Let the record note that I think Admin Beinfest is an average GM. Not that great, not that bad.

He has his strengths and his weaknesses......trades a strength, drafting a weakness.

He picked Hermida over Hamels, and Allison over Conor Jackson, Carlos Quentin or Chad Billingsley.....

Just a couple of examples of his huge draft mistakes.

Let the record note that I think Admin Beinfest is an average GM. Not that great, not that bad.

He has his strengths and his weaknesses......trades a strength, drafting a weakness.

He picked Hermida over Hamels, and Allison over Conor Jackson, Carlos Quentin or Chad Billingsley.....

Just a couple of examples of his huge draft mistakes.

Those were not mistakes. Hermida could still become a fantastic player, and Allison was viewed as the next Josh Beckett. Nobody could have foreseen his personal issues. We were actually considered extremely lucky to have landed him as late in the first-round as we did, due to signability issues.

I would hardly consider drafting an issue of this franchise.