January 10, 200917 yr Looks like our Fish have only one more void to be filled- another solid catcher. Who will we pick up? Personally, I'd love to have Pudge back splitting time with Baker. Pudge hit .276, 7 homers, 35 RBI ( 10 stolen bases/ 1 caught stealing) last year - Ok not great for his money BUT he wouldn't need to be great on our team. He loves South Florida, would teach Baker everything he knows, and would become a good leader/clubhouse that Hanley is NOT. He would defiently help us make the playoffs. Rabelo is awful and Hayes is not MLB ready.
January 10, 200917 yr This "leader" thing has to stop. Just because he's been around a long time does not mean we should bring him in.
January 10, 200917 yr Yeah, its not like the Marlins have a bunch of rookies anymore. I'd feel insulted if I were on that team and the front office keeps bringing in guys to hold my hand.
January 10, 200917 yr Looks like our Fish have only one more void to be filled- another solid catcher. Who will we pick up? Personally, I'd love to have Pudge back splitting time with Baker. Pudge hit .276, 7 homers, 35 RBI ( 10 stolen bases/ 1 caught stealing) last year - Ok not great for his money BUT he wouldn't need to be great on our team. He loves South Florida, would teach Baker everything he knows, and would become a good leader/clubhouse that Hanley is NOT. He would defiently help us make the playoffs. Rabelo is awful and Hayes is not MLB ready. Why do people get on Hanley for not being a leader? He was third youngest hitter on the team last year behind only Maybin, a September call-up, and Jai Miller, who only has 1 ML AB.
January 10, 200917 yr and would become a good leader/clubhouse that Hanley is NOT. Yeah...I remember when I wuz in da clubhouse last year...Hanley wuz a bad person. He's like a criminal...OMGZ! Like...a cancerz. We need leaderz!!! Leaderz iz so important! Like...dats y we signed Wez Helmz...for hiz leadership! That wuz da bestest move of the offseason.
January 11, 200917 yr Hanley's a great player, but being that and being a leader are two different things.
January 11, 200917 yr How many leaders does a team need? You are telling me Pudge will be the only leader on the team? I think he would be a decent platoon guy, the money will be a lot most likely, but I do not think we know if he will be a "Great" leader.
January 11, 200917 yr The only leader the Marlins need, they already have. Fredi Gonzalez should be that leader.
January 11, 200917 yr The only leader the Marlins need, they already have. Fredi Gonzalez should be that leader. Bingo
January 11, 200917 yr The only leader the Marlins need, they already have. Fredi Gonzalez should be that leader. Bingo Agreed as well. The only real leadership the players need to bring is by example. Which we have already. Walk-offs and that sort.
January 11, 200917 yr The pieces are actually falling into place. Zaun is going to Baltimore, which leaves Florida, San Diego, and maybe Houston if they don't want to try Towles again, as teams with a lot of playing time to give a catcher. I think it's pretty obvious who the best fit is since Pudge is loved down here and we have the best team of those three. I think this is intentional by the Marlins. Wait till the last minute to sign Pudge to get him for the cheapest possible. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. Baker was awesome last year. But if they can get him, very nice catching combo for 2009. I suspect we'll make an offer in a month, or if another team starts to mobilize for him. I'd be very happy with Baker getting 75% of RHP, and Pudge all the lefties and the rest of the right handers.
January 11, 200917 yr The pieces are actually falling into place. Zaun is going to Baltimore, which leaves Florida, San Diego, and maybe Houston if they don't want to try Towles again, as teams with a lot of playing time to give a catcher. I think it's pretty obvious who the best fit is since Pudge is loved down here and we have the best team of those three. I think this is intentional by the Marlins. Wait till the last minute to sign Pudge to get him for the cheapest possible. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. Baker was awesome last year. But if they can get him, very nice catching combo for 2009. I suspect we'll make an offer in a month, or if another team starts to mobilize for him. I'd be very happy with Baker getting 75% of RHP, and Pudge all the lefties and the rest of the right handers. What about Boston and Detroit?
January 11, 200917 yr The pieces are actually falling into place. Zaun is going to Baltimore, which leaves Florida, San Diego, and maybe Houston if they don't want to try Towles again, as teams with a lot of playing time to give a catcher. I think it's pretty obvious who the best fit is since Pudge is loved down here and we have the best team of those three. I think this is intentional by the Marlins. Wait till the last minute to sign Pudge to get him for the cheapest possible. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. Baker was awesome last year. But if they can get him, very nice catching combo for 2009. I suspect we'll make an offer in a month, or if another team starts to mobilize for him. I'd be very happy with Baker getting 75% of RHP, and Pudge all the lefties and the rest of the right handers. What about Boston and Detroit? There aiming for a young catcher like Teagarden/Salty/Ramirez but they already have Bard so they could just sign someone else like Towels to back up
January 11, 200917 yr The pieces are actually falling into place. Zaun is going to Baltimore, which leaves Florida, San Diego, and maybe Houston if they don't want to try Towles again, as teams with a lot of playing time to give a catcher. I think it's pretty obvious who the best fit is since Pudge is loved down here and we have the best team of those three. I think this is intentional by the Marlins. Wait till the last minute to sign Pudge to get him for the cheapest possible. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. Baker was awesome last year. But if they can get him, very nice catching combo for 2009. I suspect we'll make an offer in a month, or if another team starts to mobilize for him. I'd be very happy with Baker getting 75% of RHP, and Pudge all the lefties and the rest of the right handers. What about Boston and Detroit? There aiming for a young catcher like Teagarden/Salty/Ramirez but they already have Bard so they could just sign someone else like Towels to back up Bard's a backup catcher.
January 11, 200917 yr I heard that Boston was interested in keeping Varitek and if not they were interested in a younger catcher. I doubt that Ivan Rodriguez is their idea of a younger catcher.
January 11, 200917 yr The pieces are actually falling into place. Zaun is going to Baltimore, which leaves Florida, San Diego, and maybe Houston if they don't want to try Towles again, as teams with a lot of playing time to give a catcher. I think it's pretty obvious who the best fit is since Pudge is loved down here and we have the best team of those three. I think this is intentional by the Marlins. Wait till the last minute to sign Pudge to get him for the cheapest possible. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. Baker was awesome last year. But if they can get him, very nice catching combo for 2009. I suspect we'll make an offer in a month, or if another team starts to mobilize for him. I'd be very happy with Baker getting 75% of RHP, and Pudge all the lefties and the rest of the right handers. What about Boston and Detroit? Boston can't do anything until Varitek makes a decision on arbitration. And to my count, they have Beckett, Dice, Lester, Penny, Smoltz, Wakefield, Buchholz, Mastersen, and Bowden. One of those last three is going to turn into a catcher, probably Texas, sooner or later. They aren't going to take on low OBP Pudge. Not their style. Detroit traded for Laird, signed Treanor, and still have Inge.
January 11, 200917 yr My take on Pudge's numbers last season is certainly a minority one here, I believe you have to look at NYC as an aberration, and I've said a number of times I've thought as Lou wrote, this could his logical destination. But putting aside all the veteran/leadership/whatever you want to call it, I wish some here could come to understand there is management and there is labor, and yes Fredi is the boss, but in the clubhouse, except in extraordinary cases, the players police their own during a long season spent together in close quarters. It's been that way for a very long time and it will be that way into the future for a very long time, and just because some of you may not like or think it's important it's a part of the game. That said I don't think Pudge would necessarily be looked on that way especially by the FO, his task here would be to shut down certain teams on the base paths and provide some needed defense while still contributing offensively either a a backup or should Baker stumble as at least a platoon partner and maybe more. This isn't another Luis Gonzalez or even close to it, he'd be here because of his contribution on the field first and everything else second.
January 11, 200917 yr The only leader the Marlins need, they already have. Fredi Gonzalez should be that leader. Where on Fredi's resume does it say "leader"? Pudge was great for us when he was here, providing leadership and emotional boost, as well as all other places he has played. He may not be the best catcher in baseball right now but he is still a good catcher
January 11, 200917 yr My take on Pudge's numbers last season is certainly a minority one here, I believe you have to look at NYC as an aberration, and I've said a number of times I've thought as Lou wrote, this could his logical destination. But putting aside all the veteran/leadership/whatever you want to call it, I wish some here could come to understand there is management and there is labor, and yes Fredi is the boss, but in the clubhouse, except in extraordinary cases, the players police their own during a long season spent together in close quarters. It's been that way for a very long time and it will be that way into the future for a very long time, and just because some of you may not like or think it's important it's a part of the game. That said I don't think Pudge would necessarily be looked on that way especially by the FO, his task here would be to shut down certain teams on the base paths and provide some needed defense while still contributing offensively either a a backup or should Baker stumble as at least a platoon partner and maybe more. This isn't another Luis Gonzalez or even close to it, he'd be here because of his contribution on the field first and everything else second. And Luis Gonzalez was brought in to be the 4th OF'er.
January 11, 200917 yr The only leader the Marlins need, they already have. Fredi Gonzalez should be that leader. Where on Fredi's resume does it say "leader"? Pudge was great for us when he was here, providing leadership and emotional boost, as well as all other places he has played. He may not be the best catcher in baseball right now but he is still a good catcher Where on Pudge's resume does it say "leader?"
January 11, 200917 yr I heard that Boston was interested in keeping Varitek and if not they were interested in a younger catcher. I doubt that Ivan Rodriguez is their idea of a younger catcher. Pudge doesn't call a great game and thats the most important thing to Boston. That is why Varitek can hit 200 and they are still talking to him about 10 million a year.
January 11, 200917 yr My take on Pudge's numbers last season is certainly a minority one here, I believe you have to look at NYC as an aberration, and I've said a number of times I've thought as Lou wrote, this could his logical destination. But putting aside all the veteran/leadership/whatever you want to call it, I wish some here could come to understand there is management and there is labor, and yes Fredi is the boss, but in the clubhouse, except in extraordinary cases, the players police their own during a long season spent together in close quarters. It's been that way for a very long time and it will be that way into the future for a very long time, and just because some of you may not like or think it's important it's a part of the game. That said I don't think Pudge would necessarily be looked on that way especially by the FO, his task here would be to shut down certain teams on the base paths and provide some needed defense while still contributing offensively either a a backup or should Baker stumble as at least a platoon partner and maybe more. This isn't another Luis Gonzalez or even close to it, he'd be here because of his contribution on the field first and everything else second. And Luis Gonzalez was brought in to be the 4th OF'er. And if you believe that's the main reason he was signed last season you've got your head stuck in the sand. If there was one, there were a hundred pieces written about the debacle in 2007's clubhouse and what Gonzalez's role was expected to be in righting that ship in 2008, which from all accounts he did.
January 11, 200917 yr I heard that Boston was interested in keeping Varitek and if not they were interested in a younger catcher. I doubt that Ivan Rodriguez is their idea of a younger catcher. Pudge doesn't call a great game and thats the most important thing to Boston. That is why Varitek can hit 200 and they are still talking to him about 10 million a year. :blink: Since when he's one of the greatest catchers of all time for more then his hitting
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.