Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do they always drop the bat?

Featured Replies

Just once I wanna see someone keep it and hit the pitcher right in the ribs with it. Or break a leg perhaps. Or maybe chase the pitcher around the field, thus humiliating him.:lol If the pitcher has martial arts skills, that would it even more interesting.

 

How is it that every time, the batter has the presence of mind to drop the bat? They're completely infuriated and are only thinking of doing the most harm possible to the pitcher, yet they drop the tool than would make that task much easier than with their fists.

I honestly hope you're kidding about this bat nonsense... because fairly recently, a bat WAS brought to the mound... and it ended the catcher's career, because the catcher was trying to protect the pitcher... the guy (whose name I can't remember, I think the article's posted here somewhere) is still doing rehab to be able to do something as simple as catching a big foam ball thrown over his shoulder... this from a former catching prospect who made a living catching balls moving 90+ mph...

 

Yeah, laugh it up at how dumb a premise that is...

  • Author

I don't actually want anybody to get hurt. I didn't actually mean I want it to happen I just wonder why it doesn't happen. They're angry enough to want to charge the mound but they still think to drop the bat. Maybe its a reflex thing.

Its like an unwritten rule that you dont bring the bat and i believe if you do hit the pitcher with the bat you could face criminal charges. It was also kinda BS that Youk threw his helmet at Porcello. Either way i loved seeing Youk getting thrown down by a 20 yr old kid.

I don't actually want anybody to get hurt. I didn't actually mean I want it to happen I just wonder why it doesn't happen. They're angry enough to want to charge the mound but they still think to drop the bat. Maybe its a reflex thing.

 

 

Well, they know if they bring the bat, they're basically giving up their career, because they would likely be suspended the rest of the season at least, then pending criminal charges, who knows.

Ya i mean if you look at it, its kinda like what Dom said, its an unwritten rule.

I dont care how angry you are at the guy, you dont bring your bat to the rumble, i mean you could kill someone with a bat you know?

 

You shouldnt really do much with the helmet either, but its not a lot of time to think when you get plunked by a pitcher (especially a fastball) got to drop the bat, and the helmet, beat out the catcher while running to go take down a guy who's 60 ft from you

Just like why hockey players wouldn't attack other players with their stick. They would prefer to settle it like men, and not using weapons.

See the John Roseboro/Juan Marichal incident from 1965 -

 

 

Roseboro will always be remembered as the player that Dominican pitcher Juan Marichal clubbed over the head with a bat during a game between the Dodgers and San Francisco Giants at Candlestick Park on August 22, 1965.

 

Earlier in the game, Marichal had knocked down Dodgers Maury Wills and Ron Fairly with brushback pitches. When Marichal came up to bat against Sandy Koufax in the third inning, Koufax wouldn't retaliate, but his catcher, Roseboro, apparently wanted to. Roseboro returned Koufax's pitches dangerously close to Marichal's face. Then, the future Hall-of-Famer hit Roseboro over the head with his bat three times, opening a two-inch gash that sent blood flowing down the catcher's face that would require 14 stitches. The Giants and the Dodgers, who nurture a heated rivalry with each other dating back to their days together in the New York market, and who were both strong contenders for the 1965 National League pennant, cleared their respective benches and began a 14-minute brawl on the field before Koufax, Giants captain Willie Mays and other peacemakers restored order.

 

After the incident, NL president Warren Giles suspended Marichal for eight games, fined him $1,750, and also forbade him from traveling to Dodger Stadium for the final, crucial two-game series of the season. The Giants won both of them in the middle of a 14-game streak, but the Dodgers got even hotter later to win the pennant, and eventually defeated the Minnesota Twins in seven games in the World Series.

 

Marichal contended Roseboro returned a pitch close to his nose. Roseboro said he did nothing to provoke Marichal reaction and later sued him for $110,000 in damages.

Just like why hockey players wouldn't attack other players with their stick. They would prefer to settle it like men, and not using weapons.

 

 

This and plus the fact that if a batter attacks someone with there bat they would be suspended indefinitely and be put in Jail for assault and probably would be banned from baseball.

 

No one is stupid enough to risk losing there career and paycheck for ball thrown at them.

I think its just the way it is, the unwritten rule thing... BUT even then, I'm surprised this hasnt actually happened more often. I mean, in all the years of baseball, someone has to go absolutely batsh*t right? I could see Milton Bradley being the kind of guy to do this.

 

EDIT: HAHAHA I used the word batsh*t... an unintentional yet appropriate pun!

Jose Offerman and Todd Bertuzzi.

 

Look em up

 

In hockey I had someone slash their stick and hit me in the throat under my goalie mask. I punched him in the nuts, pulled him down, and after he removed my helmet to try to hit me with it I was "forced" to break his nose and ribs.

 

I looked like a skin head for 2 weeks with a scar near my eye, but he looked like an idiot for instigating a fight with a goalie a foot shorter then him in full gear and getting injured.

See the John Roseboro/Juan Marichal incident from 1965 -

 

 

Roseboro will always be remembered as the player that Dominican pitcher Juan Marichal clubbed over the head with a bat during a game between the Dodgers and San Francisco Giants at Candlestick Park on August 22, 1965.

 

Earlier in the game, Marichal had knocked down Dodgers Maury Wills and Ron Fairly with brushback pitches. When Marichal came up to bat against Sandy Koufax in the third inning, Koufax wouldn't retaliate, but his catcher, Roseboro, apparently wanted to. Roseboro returned Koufax's pitches dangerously close to Marichal's face. Then, the future Hall-of-Famer hit Roseboro over the head with his bat three times, opening a two-inch gash that sent blood flowing down the catcher's face that would require 14 stitches. The Giants and the Dodgers, who nurture a heated rivalry with each other dating back to their days together in the New York market, and who were both strong contenders for the 1965 National League pennant, cleared their respective benches and began a 14-minute brawl on the field before Koufax, Giants captain Willie Mays and other peacemakers restored order.

 

After the incident, NL president Warren Giles suspended Marichal for eight games, fined him $1,750, and also forbade him from traveling to Dodger Stadium for the final, crucial two-game series of the season. The Giants won both of them in the middle of a 14-game streak, but the Dodgers got even hotter later to win the pennant, and eventually defeated the Minnesota Twins in seven games in the World Series.

 

Marichal contended Roseboro returned a pitch close to his nose. Roseboro said he did nothing to provoke Marichal reaction and later sued him for $110,000 in damages.

 

 

Wow. Just wow; didn't know that. Straight up class from Koufax and Mays to break up the fight, although Koufax maybe should have fired an inside pitch to protect his players.

screw unwritten rules. the pitcher always has an advantage even in a situation like this. so a pitcher can use a weapon like a baseball to hit you on purpose because you're a good player and the batter is supposed to just take it. if someone had the balls to take the bat with them the douchebag pitchers like clemens wouldn't hit batters for no reason

screw unwritten rules. the pitcher always has an advantage even in a situation like this. so a pitcher can use a weapon like a baseball to hit you on purpose because you're a good player and the batter is supposed to just take it. if someone had the balls to take the bat with them the douchebag pitchers like clemens wouldn't hit batters for no reason

 

 

Whoa, whoa. Pitchers are supposed to throw at a guys butt or back. I would regard a pitcher who throws at someone's face or head similarly to a guy who charges the mound, bat in hand.

 

As an aside, I do hate Clemens, though.

  • Author

I think its just the way it is, the unwritten rule thing... BUT even then, I'm surprised this hasnt actually happened more often. I mean, in all the years of baseball, someone has to go absolutely batsh*t right? I could see Milton Bradley being the kind of guy to do this.

 

EDIT: HAHAHA I used the word batsh*t... an unintentional yet appropriate pun!

 

 

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

 

I shouldn't have said that I wanted to see a pitcher get hit. Some pitchers deserve to be hit with a bat though. Like Roger Clemens.

I think its just the way it is, the unwritten rule thing... BUT even then, I'm surprised this hasnt actually happened more often. I mean, in all the years of baseball, someone has to go absolutely batsh*t right? I could see Milton Bradley being the kind of guy to do this.

 

EDIT: HAHAHA I used the word batsh*t... an unintentional yet appropriate pun!

 

 

Exactly what I'm trying to say.

 

I shouldn't have said that I wanted to see a pitcher get hit. Some pitchers deserve to be hit with a bat though. Like Roger Clemens.

 

No pitcher deserves to get hit and injured period.

 

Roger wasn't even a head hunter though, a guy like Padilla whoever is known to hit batters intentionally.

Because they don't have to. They know there is no chance of them getting to the pitcher, so why bring the bat?

Because they don't have to. They know there is no chance of them getting to the pitcher, so why bring the bat?

 

 

What?!?

Youkilis had no trouble getting to Porcello last night and there's been plenty of occasions where the pitcher and batter ended up brawling.

Yesterday was the exception. Usually, the cather catches up to the hitter in time. Or the firstbaseman.

And why did Youkilis charge the mound? I mean, he was going crazy! Didn't even hesitate. Just threw his helmet at Porcello, and then tried to bulldoze him. Fortunately, he got owned.

I hate it when they batter throws their helmet. That sh*t's cowardly. You wanna go mano a mano? Don't use a helmet as a weapon.

If someone i nthe MLB ever charged the mound with a bat and seriouslly injured the pitcher. His a$$ would be in jail, just look at the pitcher in the Cubs farm system who threw the ball into the stands. He got charged with assault I think, don't quote me, but he is on his way to jail most likely.

I hate it when they batter throws their helmet. That sh*t's cowardly. You wanna go mano a mano? Don't use a helmet as a weapon.

 

There's not way you can use that helmet as a weapon. They throw their helmet to release their anger not to injure someone. If they wanted to use anything as a weapon they have a bat in there hands.

  • Author

If someone i nthe MLB ever charged the mound with a bat and seriouslly injured the pitcher. His a$ would be in jail, just look at the pitcher in the Cubs farm system who threw the ball into the stands. He got charged with assault I think, don't quote me, but he is on his way to jail most likely.

 

 

Yes, it goes without saying that a player would be suspended for a long time if not expelled. But how does a player consider that or even think about it in the heat of the moment when they're about to charge the mound.

 

I hate it when they batter throws their helmet. That sh*t's cowardly. You wanna go mano a mano? Don't use a helmet as a weapon.

 

Maybe that's it. Its a manhood thing and not a revenge thing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.