Penny's remarks about the Marlins

fanfish

There was a rumor that Penny almost went to one of his former teams, the Florida Marlins, rather than the Giants but he says that was never close to happening. "Honestly, I wasn't going to Florida," he said. "I want to play in front of some fans."

Ouch. Guess he's not planning to go there ever again.

Source: CBS Sports

Dick.

Maybe so ... but he ain't lying.

Regardless, he shouldn't diss the team's fanbase publicly like that. Especially a fan base that supported you during a WS run and your possible return here.

Agreed. This wasn't a former players who had no chance of coming back here. This was a guy we were pursuing, and some said, very close to signing. I know it is disheartening for some players to come here due to the smaller stadium fan base, but you don't diss it, or word it, they way Penny did. He is implicitly saying that the Marlins are below him, not due to anything the organization can directly control, but due to something that us, Joe Q. Public does. And he "punishes" the organization by pointing that out.

He could have said it more politely as in "I'd rather go to SF because there is more excitement there." Or "I enjoyed playing in their stadium." Pump up the Giants, not bash the Marlins. Besides, he saw in 2003 that fans will come out if the Fish win. And isn't that why we wanted him?

He's only speaking the truth. No one comes to the games.

Would you prefer he give you the usual athlete jargon we hear with everyone?

I'd prefer he kept is f***ing mouth shut, though we know the best way to do that is to put him near a pizza.

Sheffield would have done the same exact thing had we brought him here. As soon as something didn't go his way, he'd badmouth the organization.

He's only speaking the truth. No one comes to the games.

Would you prefer he give you the usual athlete jargon we hear with everyone?

I'd prefer he kept is f***ing mouth shut, though we know the best way to do that is to put him near a pizza.

Sheffield would have done the same exact thing had we brought him here. As soon as something didn't go his way, he'd badmouth the organization.

And this is relevant how? The topic at hand is Brad Penny making unprofessional statements, not hypothetical situations in which Gary Sheffield could've/might've trash talked the Marlins organization.

he's not lying. i don't know why you people are getting all butthurt about it. you would think after all these years of other fans/players/broadcasters poking fun at marlins attendance that fans would have thick skin.

Again, that's not the problem. The problem is with the lack of a professional courtesy from Penny. You don't bash another team's fanbase like that.

he's not lying. i don't know why you people are getting all butthurt about it. you would think after all these years of other fans/players/broadcasters poking fun at marlins attendance that fans would have thick skin.

Again, that's not the problem. The problem is with the lack of a professional courtesy from Penny. You don't bash another team's fanbase like that.

Point. Especially because we were the team who let him start his MLB career. Regardless of what's true and what's not, it's respect.

So he should have lied when asked why he didn't want to come here?

Yeah, I don't know what people expect.

I remember A.J. saying a similar thing before he left, along with Miguel Cabrera and possibly Carl Pavano. It's rough as a player to see so few fans in those stands, when you are supposed to be at home and getting an advantage from the home crowd cheering you on. The size of the current stadium makes a small crowd even more obvious, which isn't helping.

oh well. not every athlete is going to be a model citizen. sure, it'd be nice if everyone handled themselves with class, but if they dont i'm not going to make a stink about it. especially a guy who hasn't played here in 5 years.

Again, that's not the problem. The problem is with the lack of a professional courtesy from Penny. You don't bash another team's fanbase like that.Honestly I look at it as Penny taking a swipe at the folks who don't turn out for the games, rather than taking a swipe at the ones that do.

Point. Especially because we were the team who let him start his MLB career. Regardless of what's true and what's not, it's respect.

Add in that we were pursuing him, it was like Penny went out of his way to burn a bridge. Maybe not with the organization, but with the people who may support him.

I don't have a problem with former players who are in the middle of their contracts elsewhere or have priced themselves out of contracts with us so they have little chance of returning to say these things. I don't like it, but it is reality, so I can't argue. It is when people still on the team (as the case was with Burnett) or had a chance to return here (like Penny) that I take exception, because here is an organization/setting that is employing you or willing to employ you and you are trashing them pretty much to their face.

I still like Penny though. It made more sense to go to SF as they have a better shot at the postseason that us. I just wish he used a little more tact (as others have said) when asked why he didn't want to come here (again, he could have boosted SF for that question, instead on slagging us).