Market for Hermida

Nothing major, just an idea of what teams may be interested in Hermida.

http://joefrisaro.ml...or_hermida.html

Speculation continues to run high that the Marlins will trade outfielder Jeremy Hermida this offseason.

The 25-year-old former first-round pick in 2002, came off a rough season, batting .259 with 13 home runs and 47 RBIs. A strained right oblique on Sept. 2, limited him to one pinch-hit appearance in the final weeks of the season.

Hermida will be entering his second season of arbitration. He made $2.25 million this year, and by the nature of the system, he'd be in line for a raise.

The Marlins are hopeful Cameron Maybin will win the center field position, and Cody Ross is expected to return. Ross, also in his second season of arbitration, could be earmarked for right field, making Hermida expendable.

Some teams believed to be interested in Hermida are the Mariners, Rays, Mets and Blue Jays. The Cubs also could have interest.

Even though Hermida has yet to perform as so many envisioned, he does have value on the open market. He still would be a more affordable option than many soon-to-be free agent outfielders. Also, in arbitration, a team could control his rights for two seasons.

Several scouts feel Hermida may be one of those players who benefits by a change of scenery.

I would trade him to an American League team just in case he finds himself. If the Marlins want pitching back for him then they should consider the Rays. I still don't think you will get probably anything close to fair value for him in a straight up trade. So you might be onto something Lou. The Mariners would likely be very interested in a Hermida+Uggla package as Jose Lopez could then move to 3B.

I would trade him to an American League team just in case he finds himself. If the Marlins want pitching back for him then they should consider the Rays. I still don't think you will get probably anything close to fair value for him in a straight up trade. So you might be onto something Lou. The Mariners would likely be very interested in a Hermida+Uggla package as Jose Lopez could then move to 3B.

With Seattle's emphasis on defense, the Mariners would value Jeremy Hermida as nothing more than a designated hitter. I doubt the Mariners would offer more than Jason Vargas, who finished eighth in the 2005 NL Rookie of the Year voting after his call-up to the Marlins. Vargas, who made 14 starts for Seattle in 2009, would be far cheaper than Hermida because Vargas won't be arbitration eligible for another year.

Seattle's Safeco Field has proven brutal on righthand-hitting National Leaguers such as Dan Uggla.

The Marlins would have little interest in Jason Vargas-caliber pitcher and the Mariners would have little interest in Dan Uggla. I don't see a trade partner in Seattle.

With Seattle's emphasis on defense, the Mariners would value Jeremy Hermida as nothing more than a designated hitter. I doubt the Mariners would offer more than Jason Vargas, who finished eighth in the 2005 NL Rookie of the Year voting after his call-up to the Marlins. Vargas, who made 14 starts for Seattle in 2009, would be far cheaper than Hermida because Vargas won't be arbitration eligible for another year.

Seattle's Safeco Field has proven brutal on righthand-hitting National Leaguers such as Dan Uggla.

The Marlins would have little interest in Jason Vargas-caliber pitcher and the Mariners would have little interest in Dan Uggla. I don't see a trade partner in Seattle.

The reason people link to Seattle is because there was talking about a trade last season. Maybe Z is no longer interested in Hermida, who knows.

People are quick to point to Seattle's emphasis on defense. Wouldn't it instead be Seattle's emphasis on cheap players that outperform what seattle paid to get them? If they view Hermida as breaking out and putting up an upper 800 OPS again, he easily outperforms their other options regardless of defense.

here's the aftermath from last offseason:

Remember the rumored deal with the Florida Marlins that was reported during the timeframe that the J.J. Putz deal went down with the New York Mets? Well, I was recently referred to a member of the Marlins scouting department when I asked about their second base prospect Chris Coghlan, and the conversation, naturally, went toward those trade talks, and here's what he said that I thought was relevant.

"The deal was never close," he said, "because we wanted one particular name and their best offer came in without that name. They didn't budge on that name, and we couldn't see moving forward unless we got what we felt was the right deal for us."

That name was Adam Moore, the M's top catching prospect, who ranks in the middle of Prospect Insider

s Top 10 in the upcoming handbook. The trade, apparently, turned into a 4-for-2 deal, where Florida would have sent right fielder Jeremy Hermida and second base prospect Coghlan to the Mariners, for second baseman Jose Lopez, left-hander Ryan Rowland-smith, right-hander Juan Ramirez and catcher Adam Moore.

The Mariners countered with something like this: Lopez, Cesar Jimenez, Rob Johnson and either Luis Valbuena or Matt Tuiasosopo. The Fish wanted Moore in the deal, and Seattle apparently wanted no part of trading him, so Zduriencik moved on to the Mets.

I do wonder if they would be interested in a Hermida and stuff trade for Jose Lopez. He's cheap for two more years (2.3m in '10, 4.5m club option in '11), and is a "good enough" stop gap at 3b until Dominguez is ready (And would be a massive upgrade over what we got out of 3b last year). What that "and stuff" is would be hard to say. There's also the fact that they don't really have anyone to replace Lopez with. Tuiasosopo should be at 3b if he's up, and has only played 21 MILB games at 2b. Bill Hall continued to suck after going over there. Though they also do have the financial ability to go out and get a Orlando Hudson-like player.

The reason people link to Seattle is because there was talking about a trade last season. Maybe Z is no longer interested in Hermida, who knows.

People are quick to point to Seattle's emphasis on defense. Wouldn't it instead be Seattle's emphasis on cheap players that outperform what seattle paid to get them? If they view Hermida as breaking out and putting up an upper 800 OPS again, he easily outperforms their other options regardless of defense.

Jeremy Hermida is not cheap. After posting a WAR of 0.2 for a value of $800,000 the past season, Hermida is again eligible for arbitration working off his 2009 salary of $2.25 million. In contrast, Seattle leftfielder Ryan Langerhans earned near the league minimum in posting a 0.5 WAR for a value of $2.4 million. The Mariners have high hopes for leftfielder Michael Saunders, who turns 23 in November, after making Baseball America's midseason Top 25 prospects list. Dustin Ackley, the No. 2 pick in the June 2009 draft, may be the leftfielder of the near future. Jack Hannahan, Josh Wilson and Mike Carp all exceeded Hermida's 2009 WAR while Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Sweeney matched it.

If Hermida breaks out, he will have some value. If Saunders breaks out, he will have even more value in relation to his modest salary.

Jeremy Hermida is not cheap. After posting a WAR of 0.2 for a value of $800,000 the past season, Hermida is again eligible for arbitration working off his 2009 salary of $2.25 million. In contrast, Seattle leftfielder Ryan Langerhans earned near the league minimum in posting a 0.5 WAR for a value of $2.4 million. The Mariners have high hopes for leftfielder Michael Saunders, who turns 23 in November, after making Baseball America's midseason Top 25 prospects list. Dustin Ackley, the No. 2 pick in the June 2009 draft, may be the leftfielder of the near future. Jack Hannahan, Josh Wilson and Mike Carp all exceeded Hermida's 2009 WAR while Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Sweeney matched it.

If Hermida breaks out, he will have some value. If Saunders breaks out, he will have even more value in relation to his modest salary.

Hence the entire point of me saying "If they view Hermida as breaking out and putting up an upper 800 OPS again, he easily outperforms their other options regardless of defense."

He was worse last year and they were interested in him. Obviously if they think Hermida is going to repeat, they wouldn't want him. Maybe their scouting sees something they think they can fix. Maybe they think a change of scenery will help. Maybe their interest is completely gone because Hermida barely was better this past season. Who knows. I think saying "Seattle wouldn't be interested in him because of his defense" is not right though considering they've already displayed interest in him in the past.