Marlins Sign Derrick Turnbow.

i think the veras signing is better. he had a good year in 2008 and last year had 3 or 4 outings that he would take back but if he can work out those kinks he will be quite solid.

what i still cannot beleive is how donnelly got a 1.5 million dollar deal with a chance to make it 3 million (but with the pirates who are terrible) and calero still hasnt signed. ive been saying to bring back calero all off-season...hes just one of those guys who really did not get the respect he deserves.

yeah but calero wants 2 years on his deal and no one is willing to give him that. also apparently the marlins aren't confident that calero's should could hold up again like it did last season.

I don't think we'd put a guy who has played only 8 MLB games the last 2 seasons into the setup role. Maybe he eases into that role as the season progresses into June, but to start out he'll be the 6th/7th inning guy.

I think Ryan Tucker actually starts the season as our setup man. Call me crazy, but I think Tucker would be perfect in that role.

If you're going with that logic for Turnbow who's actually been an All-Star before, why would Ryan Tucker automatically get the setup role? I like Tucker too and all, but why wouldn't he be "eased into the role?"

The logical choice after last year would be Sanches, but I actually feel more confident next year with the two guys we signed today over Sanches.

Nate Bump is probably as likely to see late-inning opportunities next year as Brian Sanches. He's an effective middle reliever but doesn't have the stuff to pitch in the late innings. It's no coincidence that even when Sanches was pulling like a 2 ERA, along with several other relievers on the team, the FO was still considering the bullpen our biggest need.

Nate Bump is probably as likely to see late-inning opportunities next year as Brian Sanches. He's an effective middle reliever but doesn't have the stuff to pitch in the late innings. It's no coincidence that even when Sanches was pulling like a 2 ERA, along with several other relievers on the team, the FO was still considering the bullpen our biggest need.

In the town hall phone thing, Beinfest said Sanches is a candidate to close if Leo can't get the job done.

I don't think you have to have great stuff to be a good closer. Look at Ryan Franklin last season. He is a guy without a plus pitch and he saved 38 games last season and had a 1.92 ERA. To go back quite a bit further I remember Doug Jones who couldn't throw a fastball over 85 mph but he saved over 300 games in his career. So before slamming the door on thinking that Sanches could do the job you should keep an open mind about him.

I don't think you have to have great stuff to be a good closer. Look at Ryan Franklin last season. He is a guy without a plus pitch and he saved 38 games last season and had a 1.92 ERA. To go back quite a bit further I remember Doug Jones who couldn't throw a fastball over 85 mph but he saved over 300 games in his career. So before slamming the door on thinking that Sanches could do the job you should keep an open mind about him.

Sanches is not good, and last year was a fluke. He can remain in his role. Would prefer if he wasn't one of the late inning guys.

Great signing, he's gonna be our, Joe Nelson, Kiko Callero, Brendan Donnelly etc. etc. pitcher this season. He's got nasty stuff but has been prone to fall behind counts being forced to throw fastballs over the plate which doesn't turn out to well for many pitchers.

Hopefully if he does well we get get him on a 3 or 4 year deal unlike all the others.

Great signing, he's gonna be our, Joe Nelson, Kiko Callero, Brendan Donnelly etc. etc. pitcher this season. He's got nasty stuff but has been prone to fall behind counts being forced to throw fastballs over the plate which doesn't turn out to well for many pitchers.

Hopefully if he does well we get get him on a 3 or 4 year deal unlike all the others.

I know I do this all the time but:

KIKO IS NOTHING LIKE NELSON! Kiko has a history of success, Nelson has a history of being a minor leaguer.

I know I do this all the time but:

KIKO IS NOTHING LIKE NELSON! Kiko has a history of success, Nelson has a history of being a minor leaguer.

True that but I couldn't thing of anybody else at the time.

In the town hall phone thing, Beinfest said Sanches is a candidate to close if Leo can't get the job done.

Cody Ross is a candidate to close if Leo fails, which he probably will. When it mattered most Nunez proved that he didn't have what it took to be closer, and his numbers throughout the year weren't even that good for a setup man or middle reliever, much less "the guy" in the bullpen. The truth is, Beinfest probably isn't the least convinced that Nunez or Sanches is a good bet to be a successful closer, but they just don't have that much choice in the matter because the team can't afford to pay FA rates for closer-quality relievers, as one would instantly become one of the top 3-4 highest paid players in the team and that doesn't make sense for a guy who only pitches one inning.

We're probably going to do the usual throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, but the advantage this year is that we (theoretically) should have a much more stable ballclub otherwise than we have had since 2006, so if closer is the one thing that needs improving to get this team over the top then we will probably know by then what kind of trade pieces are expendable.

Cody Ross is a candidate to close if Leo fails, which he probably will. When it mattered most Nunez proved that he didn't have what it took to be closer, and his numbers throughout the year weren't even that good for a setup man or middle reliever, much less "the guy" in the bullpen. The truth is, Beinfest probably isn't the least convinced that Nunez or Sanches is a good bet to be a successful closer, but they just don't have that much choice in the matter because the team can't afford to pay FA rates for closer-quality relievers, as one would instantly become one of the top 3-4 highest paid players in the team and that doesn't make sense for a guy who only pitches one inning.

We're probably going to do the usual throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, but the advantage this year is that we (theoretically) should have a much more stable ballclub otherwise than we have had since 2006, so if closer is the one thing that needs improving to get this team over the top then we will probably know by then what kind of trade pieces are expendable.

Really, Leo only "failed" towards the end of the season. When, like some us said, he would most likely do because of his "diminutive" size being a factor in his getting tired in this heat and humidity along with the mental aspect of getting tired because it was his first excursion into the high pressure situations.

I'm more willing to give Leo a shot at it and see what happens instead of just automatically writing him off. Just seems better than saying things throughout the season like, "Yea, he did okay this time but he is going to suck eventually because he just isn't good enough." At least since it is apparent we aren't going to go out and get a known closer.

At least Nunez will know going into this season that he will be our closer, rather than last year where he was thrown into the role not long into his Marlins career. He will have been able to prepare mentally for the "pressure" associated with being the recognised closer and so hopefully this allows him to focus on making his pitches and racking up the saves.

Really, Leo only "failed" towards the end of the season. When, like some us said, he would most likely do because of his "diminutive" size being a factor in his getting tired in this heat and humidity along with the mental aspect of getting tired because it was his first excursion into the high pressure situations.

I'm more willing to give Leo a shot at it and see what happens instead of just automatically writing him off. Just seems better than saying things throughout the season like, "Yea, he did okay this time but he is going to suck eventually because he just isn't good enough." At least since it is apparent we aren't going to go out and get a known closer.

Leo was prone to giving up walks, homers, and in general just not having control of himself on the mound well before he became the closer. I'm not just reacting to the fact that he blew several important games down the stretch for us, I said it was going to happen well before it did because Leo doesn't have the psychological make-up to be a closer. That, and he just gives up way too many gopher balls which is one thing a closer really can't do when their job is defined by being able to shut the door with even one run leads, and a tendency to flunk that with one swing of the bat is a really crippling thing to have.

Like the rest, I'm still hoping he will work because that's all we can really do. But that doesn't mean I don't see his weaknesses ahead of time.