2010 Lineup

MarlinsLou

Not sure how nobody posted, but

Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez won't get to keep everyone guessing in spring training about his Opening Day starter, as Josh Johnson put that issue to rest last month by putting his signature on a four-year contract. Here's one more question that was answered Saturday during FanFest festivities at Sun Life Stadium: barring some unforseen development, Cameron Maybin will be the Marlins' No. 2 hitter, sandwiched between NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan and NL MVP runner-up Hanley Ramirez.

"Awesome," was how Maybin described the news, which Gonzalez revealed during a question and answer period with fans. "I like it. That's where I feel comfortable hitting, near the top of the order."

Gonzalez used 10 different players in the two hole last season. This year, he's hoping Maybin stays there from day one.

"Right now, Maybin is the guy you want to do that," Gonzalez said of the second spot in the order. "In a perfect world, I'd like to give him an opportunity to bat in that spot."

Maybin isn't complaining, and how could he? He'll be situated between the NL batting champion in Ramirez, who hit .342, and Coghlan, who finished sixth with a .321 average.

"I want to get him in a spot where he'll get more pitches to hit," Gonzalez said.

Last season, Maybin struggled when Gonzalez put him in the eighth spot, ahead of the pitcher. Maybin hit just .205 when batting eighth. But he did much better in the second spot, batting .316 with a .361 on-base percentage.

Look for Gonzalez to go with a lineup that looks like this: 1. Coghlan, lf; 2. Maybin, cf; 3. Ramirez, ss; 4. Jorge Cantu, 3b; 5. Dan Uggla, 2b; 6. Cody Ross, rf; 7. John Baker/Ronny Paulino, c; 8. Gaby Sanchez/Logan Morrison, 1b: 9. Pitcher

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/02/fredi-gonzalez-envisions-cameron-maybin-as-marlins-no-2-hitter.html

----

May seem obvious to some (most), but they've had some interesting lineups at times so this is nice verification. Thank god Maybin isn't 8th.

I like the Maybin thing. Still don't love Cantu 4th; I'd probably rather have Dan there, but I doubt they move Cantu from cleanup.

Disclaimer: If he shows power anything like last April and does it consistently (AKA the wrist was the problem), then I am much more fine with this, because he does make more contact than Dan even though he has a lower OBP IIRC.

I like the Maybin thing. Still don't love Cantu 4th; I'd probably rather have Dan there, but I doubt they move Cantu from cleanup.

Disclaimer: If he shows power anything like last April and does it consistently (AKA the wrist was the problem), then I am much more fine with this, because he does make more contact than Dan even though he has a lower OBP IIRC.

Don't get me wrong, I love Danny too. But with the speed we have in the top of the lineup, we need contact way more then we need power in the cleanup spot. And hopefully Cantu's wrist is better, because we all know he has around 30 HR potential when healthy (like '08). I would much rather have Dan batting 5th and Cantu in the cleanup spot.

On the radion Cantu made it sound like this wrist injury is just something he'll have to deal with the rest of his carrer. I'm surprised he didn't get surgery.

At least with Maybin 2 we should stay outta DP with his speed. He'll be a far cry from Johnson though.

well that sucks. why didn't cantu just have surgery. he would have healed over the break.

There's an assumption here that whatever is or was wrong with Cantu's wrist could be repaired via surgery which I don't think is known (to us). It could ligament or tendon damage, or neurological, it could be arthritic, it could be a number of things. It also could be something skeletal that can't be repaired without either ending his career or has a much longer rehab time, ala the microsurgeries we've seen with Amezaga and in basketball that can take a year or longer to mend.

Don't get me wrong, I love Danny too. But with the speed we have in the top of the lineup, we need contact way more then we need power in the cleanup spot. And hopefully Cantu's wrist is better, because we all know he has around 30 HR potential when healthy (like '08). I would much rather have Dan batting 5th and Cantu in the cleanup spot.

That's kinda the point, though. Uggla is a big OBP guy, and putting him 4th gives Cantu even more opportunities to knock in guys, as Cantu is a low OBP, good power/contact guy.

It will be interesting to see how Maybin does batting second. I know that a lot of people didn't like Uggla batting second because he whiffed so much but Maybin K's just as much as he does. The Marlins really don't have a hitter that fits in the #2 hole.

Chris Coghlan is the prototypical # 2 hitter. Lefty, high contact, high OBP, and has plus speed. Problem is, the Marlins don't have a hitter that fits that # 1 hole. Hopefully Maybin establishes himself so we can switch those first two.

It will be interesting to see how Maybin does batting second. I know that a lot of people didn't like Uggla batting second because he whiffed so much but Maybin K's just as much as he does. The Marlins really don't have a hitter that fits in the #2 hole.

Chris Coghlan is the prototypical # 2 hitter. Lefty, high contact, high OBP, and has plus speed. Problem is, the Marlins don't have a hitter that fits that # 1 hole. Hopefully Maybin establishes himself so we can switch those first two.

You are right but the Marlins seem intent on leading him off.

Which is the smart thing to do right now, but if Maybin goes McCutchen on us, time to flip them. Let Maybin run wild and go 1st to 3rd with Coghlan taking a billion pitches and hitting everything to the right side. It probably doesn't effect the bottom line that much, but it would be better that way. Then you just hope 3-4-5 is Hanley, Morrison, and Stanton, and the top of your order looks terrifying. That's probably summer of 2011.

Which is the smart thing to do right now, but if Maybin goes McCutchen on us, time to flip them. Let Maybin run wild and go 1st to 3rd with Coghlan taking a billion pitches and hitting everything to the right side. It probably doesn't effect the bottom line that much, but it would be better that way. Then you just hope 3-4-5 is Hanley, Morrison, and Stanton, and the top of your order looks terrifying. That's probably summer of 2011.

I just hope Maybin doesn't go Reggie Abercrombie on us. He did look pretty good at the end of the year for the Marlins. But April through August you have to be able to beat the best pitchers a team has to offer.