Stanton Watch

cornfield

nice. let's hope he continues to rake so we can bring him up. the question is what we do with our outfielders if this were to happen. trade cody, i guess?

I'd trade Maybin, put Cody back in center where he shined defensively last year, and then have a corner spot for Stanton.

nice. let's hope he continues to rake so we can bring him up. the question is what we do with our outfielders if this were to happen. trade cody, i guess?

I'd trade Maybin, put Cody back in center where he shined defensively last year, and then have a corner spot for Stanton.

Then what do you do mean Cody is making $6.5 million next year, and a free agent after the 2011 season? And Maybin is outperforming him during all of this and under control through 2015.

:banghead

Then what do you do mean Cody is making $6.5 million next year, and a free agent after the 2011 season? And Maybin is outperforming him during all of this and under control through 2015.

Maybin is outperforming Cody? Really? In what time span? Last 3 years? Last year? Since they woke up this morning?

I'm just saying, if Maybin gets his stuff together, then by all means I'd love to have him on the team. I just don't personally think he will pan out. I don't see that progression in him. I hope I'm wrong.

And, I'm just saying what I would do, of course I'm not the GM but neither are any of us on here.

The way to clear room for Stanton, assuming no injuries, is to bench Gaby (or Morrison) and move Coghlan to 3B. Corner infield and LF defense our are biggest positional concerns, and that fixes the problem. You do not get rid of Cody.

Secondly, you guys have far to high expectations of what Stanton is going to do right away. He is not going to out-produce a consistent veteran like Ross right now, or guys like Coghlan and Maybin who have taken their lumps throughout the system and have far more professional experience. There is no question, Stanton has the projection potential 4 years from now, but right now is a totally different story. It is very a rare a Hanley or Cabrera develops in your system. Don't be spoiled by this. Most guys struggle, like Hermida, A. Miller, or Maybin last year. They need time despite looking fantastic in the minors. These are kids, they are young. They need the work in the minors.

Stanton 100% needs to be in AA for two months, then a promotion to AAA, and if he's still mashing during all of this, call him up on August 31st so he is eligible for post season rosters. And at that point of the season, if someone stinks, or is hurt, or isn't hitting, then maybe you can clear out a veteran for Stanton and give him a true cup of tea before Spring Training next year. That is a best case scenario. Stop the clamoring.

Maybin is outperforming Cody? Really? In what time span, last 3 years? Last year? Since they woke up this morning?

I'm just saying, if Maybin gets his stuff together, then by all means I'd love to have him on the team. I just don't personally think he will pan out. I don't see that progression in him. I hope I'm wrong.

And, I'm just saying what I would do, of course I'm not the GM but neither are any of us on here.

Maybin is going to be a better player, performance and payment wise, from 2010-2015. Probably pretty significantly. Trading him to rush Stanton is beyond crazy and completely irresponsible.

The way to clear room for Stanton, assuming no injuries, is to bench Gaby (or Morrison) and move Coghlan to 3B. Corner infield and LF defense our are biggest positional concerns, and that fixes the problem. You do not get rid of Cody.

Secondly, you guys have far to high expectations of what Stanton is going to do right away. He is not going to out-produce a consistent veteran like Ross right now, or guys like Coghlan and Maybin who have taken their lumps throughout the system and have far more professional experience. There is no question, Stanton has the projection potential 4 years from now, but right now is a totally different story. It is very a rare a Hanley or Cabrera develops in your system. Don't be spoiled by this. Most guys struggle, like Hermida, A. Miller, or Maybin last year. They need time despite looking fantastic in the minors. These are kids, they are young. They need the work in the minors.

Stanton 100% needs to be in AA for two months, then a promotion to AAA, and if he's still mashing during all of this, call him up on August 31st so he is eligible for post season rosters. And at that point of the season, if someone stinks, or is hurt, or isn't hitting, then maybe you can clear out a veteran for Stanton and give him a true cup of tea before Spring Training next year. That is a best case scenario. Stop the clamoring.

I am and was not clamoring. I just asked if Stanton mashes and is ready for the big club, how will we fit him in.

Based on what you wrote, it seems like you aren't sold that this team will be in the playoff hunt. If Stanton is mashing AA and AAA and by June it is clear he is ready to be on the big stage and the Marlins are in the hunt, then what do you do? I say the team considers addressing its needs. Perhaps trade Ross for some bullpen help and/or a nice starting pitcher.

But I do like your proposal - if Gaby's not performing and Morrison isn't ready (not likely) then we can shift players around. I'd like to keep Ross - he's a good, consistent player.

If there are no immediate holes in the outfield, then you let Stanton stay down. It's a lot better for him to stay down too long (Like Ryan Howard) than come up too early (Like most young hitters).

Young hitters who strike out a lot aren't great bets to light the world on fire right away. It happens, but Stanton's performance right away is anything but guaranteed.

I am and was not clamoring. I just asked if Stanton mashes and is ready for the big club, how will we fit him in.

Based on what you wrote, it seems like you aren't sold that this team will be in the playoff hunt. If Stanton is mashing AA and AAA and by June it is clear he is ready to be on the big stage and the Marlins are in the hunt, then what do you do? I say the team considers addressing its needs. Perhaps trade Ross for some bullpen help and/or a nice starting pitcher.

But I do like your proposal - if Gaby's not performing and Morrison isn't ready (not likely) then we can shift players around. I'd like to keep Ross - he's a good, consistent player.

Wasn't directed solely at you, there is just way to much Stanton talk coming up. Apologies if you took it that way.

And I won't be sold on this team for a playoff hunt until Nate Robertson duplicates 10 more starts like that in the next 15, and some one from Volstad/Anibal/Miller/West/Vanden Hurk show up and give this franchise 180+ innings at a 4.25ish era. We have a lot of pitching issues to deal with currently.

As for trading for a pitcher, if we have to trade a bat to get one, I think you move Cantu. This team kind of needs Ross for next year as the only veteran outfielder we have, and 2011 Free agent targets look realy lame

Alfredo Amezaga LAD

Pat Burrell TB

Eric Byrnes SEA

Frank Catalanotto NYM

Carl Crawford TB

Coco Crisp OAK *

Michael Cuddyer MIN *

David DeJesus KC *

Adam Dunn WAS

Jermaine Dye CWS

Jody Gerut MIL

Jose Guillen KC

Willie Harris WAS

Brad Hawpe COL *

Austin Kearns CLE

Jason Kubel MIN *

Magglio Ordonez DET *

Marcus Thames NYY

Jayson Werth PHI

... where none of those good names are in our payroll stratosphere on a 1 year deal, since we only need to give them a 1 year deal because we have 5 legitimate young guys (Maybin, Stanton, Petersen, Cousins, Carroll). So anyways, trading Cody is a really bad idea. We need him through 2011, and then to let him walk.

As for Cantu, I am more optimistic than most on Gaby Sanchez holding down 1B, and in the alternative letting Morrison take 1B if he doesn't. You want to clear room for Stanton, get Chris Coghlan out of the god damn outfield and to 3B, and push Stanton to a corner outfield slot. Cantu will 100% not be around next year as a free agent since the Marlins won't give him a 4 year contract because we have Dominguez, Morrison, Sanchez, and a lesser extent Smolinski. Why not make that move prematurely if you are desperate for the pitcher, and then rely on the kids to hit. Any lineup with Hanley, Uggla, Coghlan, Baker/Paulino, and Ross is going to hit. For the other three, Gaby/Morrison, Stanton, and Maybin hitting to their potential just turns the offense from "above average" to "great."

Of course that is a, best best best best case scenario with Stanton, but in the event this best best best best case scenario happens and he is a prodigy like Cabrera in 2003, Cantu is the bat you use to go get a pitcher and you do not under any circumstances trade Morrison/Gaby as we need them longterm.

As long as Sanchez keeps hitting with the authority he's showing (and Cantu as well) he's not getting benched or pushed off the scene for anyone and that includes Morrison who may find himself tradebait if they can't find a position for him to play and the team looks to reload this summer. In a choice between Morrison and Stanton there is no choice and no team will dare ask for Stanton in a trade so that leaves Morrison as the number one asked for player in any trade (assuming as I said he is playing up to expectations and even then I'm not saying the Marlins will trade him, I'm just saying he'll be involved in a lot of discussions) Cody will probably be the 4th outfielder if (a big "if") Stanton makes it impossible for the Marlins to keep him down any longer but the idea of a guy with questionable infielding skills and no major league experience (including two spring trainings) manning third part way through a pennant race is unrealistic. Sanchez has to slump big time or Cantu gets injured or one of the wheels falls off somewhere else for that extreme experiment to happen. Understand Cogs has proven he can do most anything he sets his mind to this is not a dig at him but if defense is an issue and we're in it this is not something you would expect would be done in the name of improving the club's ability to compete.

Nice write up.

I think we have a good shot to replicate our record in 2009 even with questions surrounding our starting pitching and bullpen. I think our offense is actually going to score more runs. As such, I am pretty confident we'll be in the "hunt" throughout the season. I think we're one solid starter and another solid bullpen arm from being a 90-93 win team. I think we can get that one solid starter from our current rotation - Anibal and Volstad are more than capable of putting it together. Obviously, it's hard to know what to expect out of those guys, but they have the ability to be very good. I think one of the guys you listed will end up giving us 180+IP and a 4.25ish ERA. I think we need to go outside of the organization to get help for the bullpen, though I think we have some decent specs in AAA.

I never said to trade Maybin to rush Stanton. I don't know where you got that from in the contents of this thread. The question was asked, "who is the odd man out in the outfield when Stanton is ready", and for me that is Maybin. Maybe I overvalue Cody, maybe I don't evaluate Maybin correctly, but that's what I would do if it were to come to that.

As long as Sanchez keeps hitting with the authority he's showing (and Cantu as well) he's not getting benched or pushed off the scene for anyone and that includes Morrison who may find himself tradebait if they can't find a position for him to play and the team looks to reload this summer. In a choice between Morrison and Stanton there is no choice and no team will dare ask for Stanton in a trade so that leaves Morrison as the number one asked for player in any trade (assuming as I said he is playing up to expectations and even then I'm not saying the Marlins will trade him, I'm just saying he'll be involved in a lot of discussions) Cody will probably be the 4th outfielder if (a big "if") Stanton makes it impossible for the Marlins to keep him down any longer but the idea of a guy with questionable infielding skills and no major league experience (including two spring trainings) manning third part way through a pennant race is unrealistic. Sanchez has to slump big time or Cantu gets injured or one of the wheels falls off somewhere else for that extreme experiment to happen. Understand Cogs has proven he can do most anything he sets his mind to this is not a dig at him but if defense is an issue and we're in it this is not something you would expect would be done in the name of improving the club's ability to compete.

The only thing I have a problem with is the bolded part. It's true that Coghlan has no major-league experience at 3B; however, with Cantu at 3B, we would have a guy with questionable infielding skills manning third part way through a pennant race anyway. And Coghlan is definitely more athletic than Cantu at this point in their respective careers.

I never said to trade Maybin to rush Stanton. I don't know where you got that from in the contents of this thread. The question was asked, "who is the odd man out in the outfield when Stanton is ready", and for me that is Maybin. Maybe I overvalue Cody, maybe I don't evaluate Maybin correctly, but that's what I would do if it were to come to that.

That's actually kinda fair. Prinmem worded his question misleadingly (based on what I think he wanted to actually ask AKA not necessarily this year or in a few months).

What has a healthy Jorge Cantu done once he learned the position to suggest he's incapable of playing the position? Most of his problems came when he transitioned there in the first place (no question that first half season was pretty rough but that's in the past) and now plays the position adequately, which considering what he brings to the game offensively is more than good enough. There is no position on the diamond where reaction times are more important than third and he's shown when he's healthy to be a competent third baseman.

Hi 2003 I agree with Lou if anyone is to be moved it would be Cantu more now that he is playing well at 3rd base Cantu is what he is, a solid ballplayer and good clubhouse guy however he is dispensable

So Eddie (and hi back at ya, Opening Day !!! Wow!!!!) I just find it hard to believe the team's leading RBI guy (and injured a good part of the year) is to use your word "dispensable". Not going to happen unless someone steps up big time to fill those shoes first and proves he's worthy of making the move.

I could realistically see Gaby getting the boot even if he's hitting well (Especially if he's hitting well). While I like him as a long term bench bat, if he's putting up an .850 OPS in July and Logan is killing it in AAA, I could see them moving Gaby with like Ryan Tucker and Jake Smolinski (two names off the top of my head) for a pitcher with an expiring deal if the rotation isn't shored up by then.

Potential free agent pitchers

Bronson Arroyo (34) - $11MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Erik Bedard (32)

Kris Benson (35)

Jeremy Bonderman (28)

Dave Bush (31)

Jose Contreras (39)

Kevin Correia (30)

Doug Davis (35) - $6.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Jorge De La Rosa (30)

Justin Duchscherer (33)

Shawn Estes (38)

Josh Fogg (34)

Jeff Francis (29) - $7MM club option

Freddy Garcia (35)

Jon Garland (31) - $6.75MM mutual option with a $600K buyout

Chad Gaudin (28)

Rich Harden (29) - $11MM mutual option with $1MM buyout

Aaron Harang (33) - $12.75MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Livan Hernandez (36)

Jason Jennings (32)

Hiroki Kuroda (36)

Cliff Lee (32)

Ted Lilly (35)

And then you just ride with an outfield of Cody - Maybin - Stanton opening day next year and shift CC to 2B and pick up a cheap 3B in the offseason.

Lets say were in the hunt for the PO in late August and Maybin has just been atrocious. Stanton is in AA or AAA just raking do we call him up and move Cody to center with Stanton in right?

I guess what I'm asking is how bad would Maybin have to play for him to get the bench? I think he's have to play horribly at the plate and in the field to see the bench this year.

If I'm offering that package (I know it's just off the top of your head), I would want a more premier guy. The only one who really excites me is of course Cliff Lee.

But Tucker could still be an above-average starter, and should at least become a setup guy. Smolinski has some upside, and if Gaby is indeed OPS'ing .850, then that looks like an average/above-average ML regular. That's a pretty nice package, although I guess the price of a consistent starter gets bid up around the trade deadline, so who knows...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.