Marlins/Reds tonight on MLB Network

E CaT PanTHer

Well... for us Comcast peeps in Florida, but not in the Miami area.... the game tonight is not advertised to be on. It's Rays on FS-Florida and some crappy Basketball game on Sun Sports.

However, as I said in another thread, some Comcast person stated outright that the game on the 12th would be Marlins. If it does end up being Rays on FS-Florida for us, I hope the game on MLB Network isn't blacked out. I'd be surprised if it wasn't blacked out though because the other day... the Marlins game wasn't on for us and I went to MLB Extra innings (cos of the free week) to see the game blacked out there. I've also seen games blacked out on MLB Network last season.

It can get so messed up sometimes, I really hate the blackout policy. I believe I read Bud Selig say a few years ago that he believes its an outdated concept. SO GET RID OF IT THEN.

I am a true fan of the Marlins players but I have several misgivings that seems to get by a lot of other fans.

With all the offensive talent on this team (30+ home runs by the entire infield (A NL record) the manager relies too heavily on long ball and big innings.

Fredi has still not learned the art of little ball and bunting, hit and run etc etc.

Last year I can remember at least 8-11 games where Fredi REFUSED to score a runner from 3rd base with less than 2 out...they eventually got tied and lost in late innings or extra innings because of that fact.

So for me, Fredi will never be a great manager...he will always come close but not get the job done.

Even Tommy Hutton has expressed his dissatisfaction with this approach, while being extremely diplomatic about it (he is of course paid by the Marlins).

He also cannot see the handwriting on the wall when a reliever is brought in and obviously cant find the plate which results in blowing a big lead or a lead late in the game that is very close.

I'd like one time to see Fredi manage based on who's hot NOW and not on some stupid stat book that looks at results over a long period of time. Who cares if the pitcher has struck out so and so 10 straight times...whats important is how the guy is pitching right NOW!

This is not rocket science!

If I can predict that Pinto is going to throw 12 straight balls and walk the bases loaded then what the hell is Fredi looking at?.....Whats on the menu after the game maybe???

How bad does a reliever have to be in a tight game before you yank him????After he loses the lead?? Of course dont yank the guy even if it means blowing the game...as long as you save some other guy for a game you MIGHT win tommorrow.......now that makes a whole lotta sense, RIGHT?

This team will never go anywhere as long as these guys are on the team:

1. Pinto.....a head case with too big an appetite and gut to pitch well. After 5 years he still cant find the plate. Oh, I forgot He's a Lefty! Now I understand!!!

2. Veras....an overthrower who can occasionally get it in the strike zone, but not often enough.......its early but remember that I told you so come August....and see how many games he blows. He's the replacement for the guy that Samson said

would get 40 saves for sure!! LOL

3. Fredi.....a nice guy that still cant figure it out and who rewards screwup relievers with a pat on the ass, waits til the horse has escaped from the barn before changing relievers. Also gets a tremendous pass from Tommy and his sidekick for

whatever reason. He should go back to coaching 3rd base. Bring back Jack M.!

So good luck Marlins fans.....I have the feeling this year will be very frustrating to watch!

Why are people saying it's blacked out? It says on the marlins main site that it will be showing in FS-F AND MLBN

Because, not all people that follow and look at Marlins games live in Fla. But for Floridians, yes it will be a blackout job.

Will it be MLB announcers or just a similicast of our Tommy & Rich ?

Why are people saying it's blacked out? It says on the marlins main site that it will be showing in FS-F AND MLBN

Because, not all people that follow and look at Marlins games live in Fla. But for Floridians, yes it will be a blackout job.

Will it be MLB announcers or just a similicast of our Tommy & Rich ?

Is that all of Florida or just South Florida? I hope just South Florida.

Well... for us Comcast peeps in Florida, but not in the Miami area.... the game tonight is not advertised to be on. It's Rays on FS-Florida and some crappy Basketball game on Sun Sports.

However, as I said in another thread, some Comcast person stated outright that the game on the 12th would be Marlins. If it does end up being Rays on FS-Florida for us, I hope the game on MLB Network isn't blacked out. I'd be surprised if it wasn't blacked out though because the other day... the Marlins game wasn't on for us and I went to MLB Extra innings (cos of the free week) to see the game blacked out there. I've also seen games blacked out on MLB Network last season.

It can get so messed up sometimes, I really hate the blackout policy. I believe I read Bud Selig say a few years ago that he believes its an outdated concept. SO GET RID OF IT THEN.

I have Dish Network and I'm getting the Rays on FS-Florida and Heat on SUN. It does this every year; Dish for me gives preference to Rays/Magic games during Basketball season, and then I get both Rays and Marlins after. God, I hate Basketball for this!

I am a true fan of the Marlins players but I have several misgivings that seems to get by a lot of other fans.

With all the offensive talent on this team (30+ home runs by the entire infield (A NL record) the manager relies too heavily on long ball and big innings.

Fredi has still not learned the art of little ball and bunting, hit and run etc etc.

Last year I can remember at least 8-11 games where Fredi REFUSED to score a runner from 3rd base with less than 2 out...they eventually got tied and lost in late innings or extra innings because of that fact.

So for me, Fredi will never be a great manager...he will always come close but not get the job done.

Even Tommy Hutton has expressed his dissatisfaction with this approach, while being extremely diplomatic about it (he is of course paid by the Marlins).

He also cannot see the handwriting on the wall when a reliever is brought in and obviously cant find the plate which results in blowing a big lead or a lead late in the game that is very close.

I'd like one time to see Fredi manage based on who's hot NOW and not on some stupid stat book that looks at results over a long period of time. Who cares if the pitcher has struck out so and so 10 straight times...whats important is how the guy is pitching right NOW!

If I can predict that Pinto is going to throw 12 straight balls and walk the bases loaded then what the hell is Fredi looking at?.....Whats on the menu after the game maybe???

How bad does a reliever have to be in a tight game before you yank him????After he loses the lead?? Of course dont yank the guy even if it means blowing the game...as long as you save some other guy for a game you MIGHT win tommorrow.......now that makes a whole lotta sense, RIGHT?

1. Pinto.....a head case with too big an appetite and gut to pitch well. After 5 years he still cant find the plate. Oh, I forgot He's a Lefty! Now I understand!!!

2. Veras....an overthrower who can occasionally get it in the strike zone, but not often enough.......its early but remember that I told you so come August....and see how many games he blows. He's the replacement for the guy that Samson said

3. Fredi.....a nice guy that still cant figure it out and who rewards screwup relievers with a pat on the ass, waits til the horse has escaped from the barn before changing relievers. Also gets a tremendous pass from Tommy and his sidekick for

So good luck Marlins fans.....I have the feeling this year will be very frustrating to watch!

YES YES YES. I mirror these sentiments exactly. No one ever seems to acknowledge the fact that Fredi is not doing his job well. Leaving in pitchers too long to "build up confidence" as I think he put it is ridiculous. This isn't kindergarten. A pitcher will be confident if he throws strikes. Fredi needs to get on board...like you said, he needs to learn to rely a little more on small ball; that's how we did it in 2003, of course the HRs didn't hurt either. But that's just it, there needs to be a balance. I am so happy someone else brought this up, I was starting to think I was taking crazy pills!

I have always said, Freddi manages as if he were in little league! I feel like he wants to make everyone happy by giving certain people playing time when they sure as hell don't deserve it... Bring on Bobby Valentine! At least he has a craving to win! Freddi doesn't give a f*ck!!!

YES YES YES. I mirror these sentiments exactly. No one ever seems to acknowledge the fact that Fredi is not doing his job well. Leaving in pitchers too long to "build up confidence" as I think he put it is ridiculous. This isn't kindergarten. A pitcher will be confident if he throws strikes. Fredi needs to get on board...like you said, he needs to learn to rely a little more on small ball; that's how we did it in 2003, of course the HRs didn't hurt either. But that's just it, there needs to be a balance. I am so happy someone else brought this up, I was starting to think I was taking crazy pills!

Hello,

I forgot to add the following issues I find to be frustrating about the marlins manager, Fredi G....here goes.....

I never see him argue a call with the umps.....I think this sends a defeatist message to his players. I dont say he should be antagonistic just for its own sake but when you need to back up a player, that is one of the best ways to do it...besides its better for the mgr to get tossed than the player! Anyway, last year I thought Carlos Tosca, the bench coach, showed more managerial potential in the 2 games he managed when Fredi was suspended, than Fredi shows.

In fact I was dissapointed when Fredi came back......its clear to me that he has gone as far as he can with his god given abiliities, and I dont think he's the brightest bulb in the pack either.

Have you ever cringed at his post game interviews? You dont get the feeling that he's smarter than the average bear.

I also would like to know why it took 5 years to figure out that Amezzega and Ross were way better outfielders than Jeremy Hermida. Also I could see that Hermida stood way too far from home plate when hitting, to be effective. Now if I can see that as a fan how come Fredi cant correct Hermida's approach to hitting. I would tell the hitting coach that if he doesnt get cozy with the plate then I am going to bench him....simple as that.....Hermida was no great asset to this team....ever!

Finally, in baseball, you need players that can do the little things too.....even if it means that a slugger has to bunt when the situation is right. I DO NOT see why announcers get all excited when a power hitter drops one down and surprises the opponent. That's just the point...it's to surprise the other team and force them to make a play under pressure. Good teams win no matter what it takes to do it. These guys are paid pros and I think its the managers job to make sure that each player knows how to BUNT.....Fredi as a manager does not know what to do to improve the team by making sure they can execute the fundamentals...the first 7 games this year are concrete proof of that. The team looks like the Bad News Bears on steroids!

2 games ago Cameron Maybin charges a liner to center and doesnt get his body in front of the ball....the ball goes by him and a single becomes a triple. later in the game he gets picked off at first. As manager Fredi should bench him for 2 games and send the message that he better get it together or else.......these guys have been playing baseball all their lives and still make mental errors like that.........excuse me but the manager has to nip that right away.....not pat the guy on the ass and say ' Nice try fella'.....

Fredi's job is to assure that they are ready to play and win/compete well.

He's a nice guy, but he has taken on more than his ability will allow....they will be a 500 team or thereabouts under Fredi because he does not know how to get the most out of his players.

So Marlins fans....dont get your hopes up as long as Fredi is standing in the dugout with that dazed look on his eyes, wondering why all hell is breaking loose.....winners make their own breaks with their heads and ability....losers just look around wondering what went wrong.

Hello,

I forgot to add the following issues I find to be frustrating about the marlins manager, Fredi G....here goes.....

I never see him argue a call with the umps.....I think this sends a defeatist message to his players. I dont say he should be antagonistic just for its own sake but when you need to back up a player, that is one of the best ways to do it...besides its better for the mgr to get tossed than the player! Anyway, last year I thought Carlos Tosca, the bench coach, showed more managerial potential in the 2 games he managed when Fredi was suspended, than Fredi shows.

In fact I was dissapointed when Fredi came back......its clear to me that he has gone as far as he can with his god given abiliities, and I dont think he's the brightest bulb in the pack either.

Have you ever cringed at his post game interviews? You dont get the feeling that he's smarter than the average bear.

I also would like to know why it took 5 years to figure out that Amezzega and Ross were way better outfielders than Jeremy Hermida. Also I could see that Hermida stood way too far from home plate when hitting, to be effective. Now if I can see that as a fan how come Fredi cant correct Hermida's approach to hitting. I would tell the hitting coach that if he doesnt get cozy with the plate then I am going to bench him....simple as that.....Hermida was no great asset to this team....ever!

Finally, in baseball, you need players that can do the little things too.....even if it means that a slugger has to bunt when the situation is right. I DO NOT see why announcers get all excited when a power hitter drops one down and surprises the opponent. That's just the point...it's to surprise the other team and force them to make a play under pressure. Good teams win no matter what it takes to do it. These guys are paid pros and I think its the managers job to make sure that each player knows how to BUNT.....Fredi as a manager does not know what to do to improve the team by making sure they can execute the fundamentals...the first 7 games this year are concrete proof of that. The team looks like the Bad News Bears on steroids!

2 games ago Cameron Maybin charges a liner to center and doesnt get his body in front of the ball....the ball goes by him and a single becomes a triple. later in the game he gets picked off at first. As manager Fredi should bench him for 2 games and send the message that he better get it together or else.......these guys have been playing baseball all their lives and still make mental errors like that.........excuse me but the manager has to nip that right away.....not pat the guy on the ass and say ' Nice try fella'.....

Fredi's job is to assure that they are ready to play and win/compete well.

He's a nice guy, but he has taken on more than his ability will allow....they will be a 500 team or thereabouts under Fredi because he does not know how to get the most out of his players.

So Marlins fans....dont get your hopes up as long as Fredi is standing in the dugout with that dazed look on his eyes, wondering why all hell is breaking loose.....winners make their own breaks with their heads and ability....losers just look around wondering what went wrong.

1. Glad to have you on the site!

2. I agree with almost nothing of what you posted!

On these boards, this statement is so funny I don't even know where to begin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.