Based on Beinfest comments today, this team is pretty much set.

Erick

Lineup

1. Chris Coghlan - CF (or Infante)

2. Omar Infante - 3B (or Coghlan)

3. Hanley Ramirez - SS

4. Mike Stanton - RF

5. Logan Morrison - LF

6. Gaby Sanchez - 1B

7. John Buck - C

8. Emilio Bonifacio - 2B

OR

1. Chris Coghlan - CF (or Infante)

2. Omar Infante - 2B (or Coghlan)

3. Hanley Ramirez - SS

4. Mike Stanton - RF

5. Logan Morrison - LF

6. Gaby Sanchez - 1B

7. John Buck - C

8. Matt Dominguez - 3B

Starting Pitching

1. Josh Johnson

2. Ricky Nolasco

3. Anibal Sanchez

4. Chris Volstad

5. Alex Sanabia

OR

1. Josh Johnson

2. Ricky Nolasco

3. Anibal Sanchez

4. FA signing (interested in Pavano)

5. Chris Volstad

Bullpen locks

Long/Middle Reliever: Sanabia (if they sign a starter), or Badenhop (if kept)/Cishek (who Beinfest has said will get a shot in ST, too)

6th/7th - Mujica, Sanches...probably Richardson

8th - Webb, Dunn

9th - Hensley ---> (or they could actually bring Leo Nunez back and bump everyone up one spot, which I highly doubt)

Bench

Helms, lefty bat (FA...or could actually be Baker?), backup C, one of Ozzie/Murphy/Cousins (probably Cousins)

The team is basically set, aside from a few bench spots. They are interested in Pavano (not sure if they get him), and then the only other two uncertain things are what they will do with Leo Nunez (keep or trade), and also the minor deal they get in return for Ronnie Paulino.

^^Your 2011 Florida Marlins^^

I think the 2nd lineup is what we will see... as mentioned in the other thread, somebody like Mark Kotsay as a lefty on the bench would be nice.

I think a bench of Baker, Helms, Kotsay, Donnie, Bonafacio would be solid.

I don't know why I only have 4 bench player on my roster, but yeah; there are 5. As for Kotsay, if Baker is going to be the main lefty bat off the bench, I'd rather not go after anyone, and give the Kotsay spot to Cousins (who would do just fine as a 4th OF'er).

I'm not sure what the deal is with Baker, really.

What did Beinfest say? I think they make at least another move. There's just something about this that doesn't seem right. It's a stupid hunch but I just can't believe it just ends here.

"Mike Stanton is one of the premium young power guys in the game. Logan Morrison as he plays the power will pick up. It's a little bit of change for the ball club. I'm not sure you're going to replace 30 [homers], but is that really our objective? Our objective is let's get guys on base and let Hanley and Stanton and LoMo knock them in. It's a little different because we really wailed the last few years and hit a lot of home runs."

Lineup is pretty much set, depending on what Dominguez does in ST. It seems like they're content with the Coghlan CF experiment.

They probably will make another move, but based on rumors, that will likely be for a SP (Pavano), not a position player.

"...and Beinfest said the Marlins would reallocate the money that was budgeted for Uggla -- about $10 million for next season and up to $48 million over the next four -- toward signing free agents and making more trades."

That sounds like we are about set?

Some people say that Buck was part of that "Uggla money."

All that's left is a Leo Nunez trade, and then they'll probably sign a starting pitcher.

Yeah...sounds like they're about set.

If we have Coghlan, Infante, and Bonifacio to fill CF, 2B, and 3B, it would be beyond my comprehensions that we would choose anything other than Bonifacio in CF, Coghlan at 2B, and Infante at 3B. You could flip the latter 2 for 2010 purposes, but Coghlan will be playing second probably by 2012 at the latest, since Matty D should be ready and Infante will be a free agent.

If we have Coghlan, Infante, and Bonifacio to fill CF, 2B, and 3B, it would be beyond my comprehensions that we would choose anything other than Bonifacio in CF, Coghlan at 2B, and Infante at 3B. You could flip the latter 2 for 2010 purposes, but Coghlan will be playing second probably by 2012 at the latest, since Matty D should be ready and Infante will be a free agent.

Beinfest said today that Infante would either play 2B or 3B, next year.

If Dominguez makes the team, he'll obviously play 2B.

If Dominguez doesn't make the team, Infante plays 3B and Bonifacio would be the 2B.

Beinfest said that was part of the reason he acquired Infante as part of the deal. He said he liked the fact that he's an on-base guy (which he isn't, really), and provides an upgrade over Uggla, defensively. He also said he liked Dunn because it balances out the bullpen (after acquiring the two righty relievers from SD). About Dunn, he basically said that he is a power lefty, and that power lefties like him are difficult to find.

It all depends on who you think is going to do better, Dominguez or Bonifacio. Personally, I would rather play Dominguez and have Bonifacio on the bench. So, I'll take lineup number 2.

I'll take number 2 for the pitching, too. Make that FA signing Pavano, and I'm happy.

Same here on both things you said.

If Dominguez doesn't make the team, Infante plays 3B and Bonifacio would be the 2B.

Beinfest said that was part of the reason he acquired Infante as part of the deal. He said he liked the fact that he's an on-base guy (which he isn't, really), and provides an upgrade over Uggla, defensively. He also said he liked Dunn because it balances out the bullpen (after acquiring the two righty relievers from SD). About Dunn, he basically said that he is a power lefty, and that power lefties like him are difficult to find.

That depends on determining if he is the player from the last couple of seasons.

the fact that we are still considering bonifacio for the everyday lineup is absolutely f***ing sad.

hes proven over and over again as to why he is much better off the bench but hey i guess its not a big deal if we only have about 7-8 home runs from our second and third basemen combined right?

there better be another move coming or we are going nowhere.

i guess this is how they build a championship caliber team going into the new park. i honestly cant stand the mention of bonifacio playing everyday it just boggles my f***ing mind.

What are the odds that we see Hensley in the rotation? We need a lefty...

Also, please dont put Ricky Nolasco in front of Anibal Sanchez. He's. Awful.

We're not. And he isn't.

I'm not here to debate it. He is.

But what do you mean by "We're not"?

Then you shouldn't have mentioned it, because when you post a false statement you're going to have a debate. And I said we're not to Hensley in the rotation.

The odds on Hensley to the rotation = unlikely. Hensley might end up closing. That's an entirely different issue. Our bullpen looks really good in terms of potential, but the closer is unknown. I'd have to assume Hensley is the favorite heading into Spring Training, considering the success he had in the role in September.

As for Ricky Nolasco, he's not awful. It's pretty clear that the Marlins view him as their 2nd best pitcher behind JJ too, considering he's on the verge of signing an extension with the team. Nolasco just needs to stop having those handful of starts where he absolutely sucks. He's shown flashes of dominance, and what he did in 2008 is better than anything Anibal Sanchez has ever done. Based on his peripherals, Nolasco's last two years have been fluky. He's better than his ERA indicates (although he's one of the pitchers who might be screwed with this outfield defense :banghead )

Then you shouldn't have mentioned it, because when you post a false statement you're going to have a debate. And I said we're not to Hensley in the rotation.

You can think it false all you'd like. At the end of the day, numbers dont lie. You can draw all the fancy statistics you'd like. But his direct impact on this team for 2 years has been almost 5 runs per 9 innings on average, end of story, undebatable. I'm not going any further into this. I'm not here to debate it any longer, I want to go to bed in a bit.

Okay about Hensley, I just didnt understand your answer because it didnt really match up with the question. That being said, we do need a lefty. That's the only source of a lefty I can think of at the moment.

That depends on determining if he is the player from the last couple of seasons.

He's not an on base guy. His on base % is a product of his batting average, which he's unlikely to repeat next year (based on his .BABIP #'s). He's not a guy who walks a whole lot.

The odds on Hensley to the rotation = unlikely. Hensley might end up closing. That's an entirely different issue. Our bullpen looks really good in terms of potential, but the closer is unknown. I'd have to assume Hensley is the favorite heading into Spring Training, considering the success he had in the role in September.

As for Ricky Nolasco, he's not awful. It's pretty clear that the Marlins view him as their 2nd best pitcher behind JJ too, considering he's on the verge of signing an extension with the team. Nolasco just needs to stop having those handful of starts where he absolutely sucks. He's shown flashes of dominance, and what he did in 2008 is better than anything Anibal Sanchez has ever done. Based on his peripherals, Nolasco's last two years have been fluky. He's better than his ERA indicates (although he's one of the pitchers who might be screwed with this outfield defense :banghead )

Yup. Which is why I'm actually reconsidering Bonifacio vs Dominguez. Bonifacio would be a HUGE improvement over Coghlan defensively, which should help save us a lot of runs.