Garza to the Cubs

Mephisto

11:23am: Fernando Perez is going to the Cubs, according to Miles. The 27-year-old outfielder has a .234/.301/.351 line in 107 big league plate appearances. He hit .223/.280/.299 in 426 plate appearances at Triple-A last year.

10:45am: The Cubs and Rays have agreed to a trade that will send Matt Garza to Chicago, according to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com. Chris Archer, Brandon Guyer, Robinson Chirinos, Hak-Ju Lee and Sam Fuld head to Tampa for Garza, a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder, Levine reports.

Garza, 27, posted a 3.91 ERA with 6.6 K/9, 2.8 BB/9 and a 35.8% ground ball rate in 204 2/3 innings for the Rays last year. He heads to arbitration for the second time this winter and is set to receive a raise from the $3.35MM salary he earned in 2010.

Garza would join Ryan Dempster, Tom Gorzelanny, Randy Wells, Carlos Zambrano and Carlos Silva in a crowded Chicago rotation. If the Rays-Cubs deal goes through, it wouldn't be surprising to see Cubs starters appear in trade rumors before long.

If any team can afford to part with a starting pitcher, it might be the Rays, who still have David Price, James Shields, Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis and Jeremy Hellickson. The return from the Cubs probably won't impact Tampa's Opening Day roster, but it will add depth to the Rays' already impressive farm system.

Baseball America ranked Archer first among Cubs prospects this offseason while Lee placed fourth and Guyer placed tenth. Archer, a 22-year-old right-hander, made it as high as Double-A last year. The starting pitcher posted a 2.34 ERA with 9.4 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9, limiting opponents to 6.4 H/9. The Cubs acquired him from the Indians just over two years ago in the Mark DeRosa trade. Jim Callis of Baseball America notes that Archer is a year away from the majors and could be a closer in the future (Twitter link).

It's not a great time to be an up-and-coming shortstop in the Cubs organization, as Starlin Castro figures to be the team's shortstop for years. Lee, who was born seven months after Castro, is also a highly-regarded shortstop. The native of Korea has a .299/.370/.375 line with 57 stolen bases in two pro seasons. When Baseball America ranked Lee sixth among Cubs prospects before the season, the publication described him as a gifted hitter with the tools to make difficult defensive plays.

Guyer, who turns 25 this month, posted a .344/.398/.588 line in 410 plate apperances at Double-A last year. He has played all three outfield positions in his four-year minor league career.

Chirinos, who turns 27 this month, has infield experience, but has primarily been a catcher in 2009-10. He hit .326/.416/.583 with 18 home runs in the upper minors last year.

Fuld, 29, has a .252/.368/.344 line in 155 big league plate appearances spread over three seasons. The outfielder has spent most of his six-year pro career in the minors, where he has a .285/.372/.405 line.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears from a talent evaluator that the Rays' haul gives them depth, but not necessarily impact players (Twitter link). MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo agrees and notes that Archer and Lee have some good upside (Twitter link).

Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald and Levine both reported that the deal was close this morning.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

People have to realize when analyzing this move that Jeremy Hellickson actually out-pitched pretty much all of their guys in big games down the stretch, yet he was shut out of the rotation as it was. People whined when they dealt Scott Kazmir, a guy so inconsistent that his career high was 13 wins, and Wade Davis had an ERA almost two whole runs lower than Kazmir's this year. They've lost talent through free agency, but this is one move where losing a name guy didn't mean losing talent because Hellickson could be great.

Garza will have a big year in the nl central

By Big do you mean big ERA and WHIP?

He's a good pitcher but the central has very good hitting teams in St. Louis, Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

I expect him to go 12-10, ERA in the lower 4's, Cubs won't make the playoffs.

Sure he means a successful year by that

St Louis is not a good offense and you still have Houston and Pittsburgh. Power pitchers moving from the AL to the NL (especially the AL East to the NL central) will more times than not put up much better numbers. Yes the cubs sitll suck but with Dempster and Zambrano, they should have a decent staff. Garza will probably atleast get 15 wins

What I want to know is how the Rays get away with this and the other moves they've made this offseason as good, financially-prudent moves for the future, but when the Marlins do the same thing, we're having a firesale and being cheap. Double standard, don't get it.

What I want to know is how the Rays get away with this and the other moves they've made this offseason as good, financially-prudent moves for the future, but when the Marlins do the same thing, we're having a firesale and being cheap. Double standard, don't get it.

The Rays' payroll was well over $60 million last year, if I'm not mistaken. That's a big part of it.

Garza will have a big year in the nl central

By Big do you mean big ERA and WHIP?

He's a good pitcher but the central has very good hitting teams in St. Louis, Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

I expect him to go 12-10, ERA in the lower 4's, Cubs won't make the playoffs.

The Cubs don't have a bad team.

I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs, as I personally don't think they will, but I do think they'll be contenders for a spot down the stretch.

If you look at the Cubs team, this Garza addition kinda solidifies their team. Their big question mark was starting pitching, and this move makes it pretty decent. Their lineup is solid, and the backend of their bullpen should be good, as well.

St Louis is not a good offense and you still have Houston and Pittsburgh. Power pitchers moving from the AL to the NL (especially the AL East to the NL central) will more times than not put up much better numbers. Yes the cubs sitll suck but with Dempster and Zambrano, they should have a decent staff. Garza will probably atleast get 15 wins

I don't know why you'd say that the STL offense is not good. They might have a hole or two, but the middle of that lineup (Pujols-Holliday-Berkman-Rasmus) has to be one of the most potent middles in the league.

I don't know why you'd say that the STL offense is not good. They might have a hole or two, but the middle of that lineup (Pujols-Holliday-Berkman-Rasmus) has to be one of the most potent middles in the league.

Then add Jon Jay, Theriot, David Freese and even Yadier Molina who can all contribute.

They're a very good offensive team and in most eyes are probably a better offensive team then the Cubs.

Then add Jon Jay, Theriot, David Freese and even Yadier Molina who can all contribute.

They're a very good offensive team and in most eyes are probably a better offensive team then the Cubs.

I'm not sure what comparing the cubs offense to the cards offense has anything to do with aything.

Jay, theriot, freese and molina are all garbage. Berkman can't be counted on for much this year. Rasmus is a stud but is continually in the doghouse. That team is all Pujols and Holliday.

But besides that, which really isn't the point, the point is, IMO, Garza will have a good year for the Cubs because as ive already stated, power pitchers moving from the AL to NL often find a lot of success.

Thats about all I am interested in contributing to this thread, because really, who gives a sh*t about the cubs