Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fantasy Baseball?

Featured Replies

  • 2 weeks later...

well good match in the finals Schnell.... I needed all of the close categories to break my way at the end... era, whip, rbi, obp..but no luck.

 

I really had no choice but to start throwing every starter I could find to try & hold off the wins & quality starts categories and it wound up ruining my era & whip.

 

anyhow, good season.

Good season all... disappointed in my team losing to the Schnellypoo because if I were in his spot right now I'd be up 7-3 :(

 

Always next season though.

And for the ending of my season I would like to...

 

 

 

oh and for the record, cal any of them overrated all you'd like. It's a game of statistics.

 

 

 

And their statistics aren't very good...

 

Call Erick to the stands!

 

Granted everything we actually had in that conversation is so incredibly hindsight that it's irrelevant... my drafting style of pitching comes last clearly paid off.

 

Who were your pitchers when it was all said and done?

 

The Carpenter/Latos thing didn't really work, so it's definitely hindsight because you probably picked up some guys that unexpectedly did pretty well as the season progressed.

 

Only thing I was wrong about, results-wise, seems to be your Papelbon pick. He was valuable for much more than just saves. He was dominant 06-08 Papelbon again.

 

Also, one of your big hitters was ARod and he had a down year. I'm guessing you had to make some moves.

Have I won this league 3 years on the trot now? :mischief

 

 

Does "on the trot" mean "in a row"? If so, I really like that way of saying it more and I may start using it.

"The Marlins have won 8 on the trot!"

 

That could work :D

Who were your pitchers when it was all said and done?

 

The Carpenter/Latos thing didn't really work, so it's definitely hindsight because you probably picked up some guys that unexpectedly did pretty well as the season progressed.

 

Only thing I was wrong about, results-wise, seems to be your Papelbon pick. He was valuable for much more than just saves. He was dominant 06-08 Papelbon again.

 

Also, one of your big hitters was ARod and he had a down year. I'm guessing you had to make some moves.

 

 

Everyone ranked in the top had just as many adjusted players to their roster as I did. Like I said, I could win ERA or WHIP on any given week despite having terrible pitchers. I did win ERA and WHIP on several weeks, despite finishing with the worst ERA and WHIP in our league.

 

The Carpenter/Latos thing was a weak drafting position, sure, but it definitely worked. bulls*** that you'd call it hindsight though. Everyone has to make adjustments to their rosters. Or at least, everyone who plans on finishing in the top half.

 

Final (Season) Standings:

 

1. Hotcorner (33 acquisitions)

2.. Schnellders (120 acquisitions)

3. Dr Beinfest (55 acquisitions)

4. I Love Me Some Fish (58 acquisitions)

 

Think it's random luck that the most acquisitions also looks like this?:

 

1. Schnellders (120)

2. I Love Me Some Fish (58)

3. Dr Beinfest (55)

4. Hotcorner (33)

 

Yeah, it's not. They all picked up some players as the season went along, just like I did. They adjusted to their needs. But for the majority of the season my pitching consisted of:

 

SP

- Carpenter

- Latos

- Cahill

- Hanson

- Masterson (pickup)

RP

- Bell

- Perez

- F. Rodriguez

 

That's 8 pitchers that I kept for almost the entire season. I usually carried around 11 pitchers all season, meaning I was cycling the FA pool for starters (just like everyone else does).

 

Of those 8 pitchers, I drafted 7 of them.

 

Those pitchers all together let me to:

#4 in K

#4 in QS

#3 in W

#5 in SV (keeping in mind I lost K-Rod)

#10 in WHIP

#10 in ERA

 

I think I fairly proved my point that drafting much stronger on offense and RP arguably won me a lot of matches. I was able to most definitely stay competitive with WHIP and ERA on any given week, despite having some really, really bad weeks as well.

Wow, Schnellders. 120! Also, Dr. B, did you trade Papelbon?

Nah I cut Papelbon loose about halfway through the season because I was #1 in saves by a landslide and I really didn't need him (at the time 4.00 ERA 18 SV if I recall correctly). Of course that came back to bite me in the ass when Papelbon started playing really well and K-Rod was traded and lost his closer job...

 

But if it means anything I'm fairly certain it was Masterson I took in place of Papelbon, so a fair tradeoff in my books.

I will note: criticism on D. Lee, fair enough. Was a dud. Doesn't mean there wasn't potential.

 

Criticism on Vladdy, half-half. He performed really nicely. Ended up dumping him sooner or later though for more pliable options though to address other needs as once again my team was (and still is) a clear cut #1 for AVG.

 

But uhh... my favorite criticism of all was that of Mike Napoli. See how that one turned out ;)

I will note: criticism on D. Lee, fair enough. Was a dud. Doesn't mean there wasn't potential.

 

Criticism on Vladdy, half-half. He performed really nicely. Ended up dumping him sooner or later though for more pliable options though to address other needs as once again my team was (and still is) a clear cut #1 for AVG.

 

But uhh... my favorite criticism of all was that of Mike Napoli. See how that one turned out ;)

 

 

Mike Napoli was super duper awesome for my fantasy team, as well.

The only reason I probably didn't like him at the time was because he wasn't projected to start every day, but he ended up earning the job, so that was awesome.

 

I'm still pissed about my fantasy league this year. I was irritating everyone with my winning streak because I had a team full of no-names, and then my brother ends up beating me in the playoffs by one point because he had more pitchers throwing that week.

That's happened to me before. That's why I really like the setup of this league where it's 2 weeks long for each playoff matchup. Makes the most sense.

 

Worst was in football. I was undefeated 11-0-1 one year... I had the highest powered team scoring about 250 points more than the closest person to me in the standings... and I lost in the first round of the playoffs. But that's not all... the average score for that league was probably about 115 per week in a PPR league. I probably averaged around 135-140 a week because my team was so strong.

 

That last week in the playoffs I scored 186 points. A record high for me in that league. My opponent? 187 points. Why? Brandon Marshall set the NFL record for receptions in a game that week. I was so pissed.

 

But yeah, on Fantasy Baseball. I did everything right that I could. My team could've been slightly better, but that's insignificant. Schnell just did it ever so better than me so when it came down to our matchup he ever so slightly took some of the stats and had the edge.

Have I won this league 3 years on the trot now? :mischief

 

 

Does "on the trot" mean "in a row"? If so, I really like that way of saying it more and I may start using it.

It sure does

Wow, Schnellders. 120! Also, Dr. B, did you trade Papelbon?

 

I have way too much time on my hands!

 

Nah I just often picked up a starter each day if there was one available with a good matchup

I basically did that to the max at the end of the season after Cahill started blowing ass, Hanson went down, and K Rod being rendered useless... as well as me dumping the extra bench spot on offense for a pitcher...

 

Basically in the playoffs I was using every acquisition.

  • 4 months later...
  • Author

I'll play, but im not creating it this year

Down

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.