October 26, 201114 yr "Are we human, or are we dancer? My sign is vital, my hands are cold. And I'm on my knees looking for the answer: 'Are we human, or are we dancer?'" I love Jay Z, but to me most of his songs since The Black Album (with the exception of American Gangster) have been totally phoned in. But the worst example of it is "Empire State of Mind." So many lazy New York references for the sake of New York references, and it kind of ruins arguably the best hook Jay's had on a song since "Hard Knock Life."
October 26, 201114 yr "Are we human, or are we dancer? My sign is vital, my hands are cold. And I'm on my knees looking for the answer: 'Are we human, or are we dancer?'" Isn't it Dancers?
October 26, 201114 yr Baby, baby, baby oooh Like baby, baby, baby nooo Like baby, baby, baby oooh I thought you'd always be mine (mine) _________ http://www.urbanlyrics.com/lyrics/georgeclinton/paintthewhitehouseblack.html
October 26, 201114 yr U2 elevation I've got no self control Been living like a mole now Going down, excavation High and high in the sky You make me feel like I can fly So high Elevation lol oh now you've done it....
October 26, 201114 yr A Dr. Beinfest. There is not and never has been a period in my Dr.. Yeah I've only had male doctors too.
October 26, 201114 yr Author "Are we human, or are we dancer? My sign is vital, my hands are cold. And I'm on my knees looking for the answer: 'Are we human, or are we dancer?'" I love Jay Z, but to me most of his songs since The Black Album (with the exception of American Gangster) have been totally phoned in. But the worst example of it is "Empire State of Mind." So many lazy New York references for the sake of New York references, and it kind of ruins arguably the best hook Jay's had on a song since "Hard Knock Life." See... if you want a lyrical line of nonsense, "Human" most definitely achieves that. Whatever introspective, creative target board he was shooting at it missed horribly. As far as Empire State of Mind... it's repetitive but it's a radio song. I'm sure what Jay-Z was after was a song with usage. He basically made the modern day version of Frank Sinatra's "New York" in terms of usage in pop culture. Something Bono probably tried to do and failed hard with one of my least favorite U2 songs (and if you want bad lyrics... "New York" has some bad, bad lyrics).
October 26, 201114 yr Whatever introspective, creative target board he was shooting at it missed horribly. But see the thing is, I'm sure there's someone out there (besides Brandon Flowers) who thinks the lyrics of "Human" are great and would be willing to break it down line-by-line for you. It's subjective.
October 26, 201114 yr Author And there is definitely a wrong and right answer. And most people will agree that it missed the mark.
October 26, 201114 yr Whatever introspective, creative target board he was shooting at it missed horribly. But see the thing is, I'm sure there's someone out there (besides Brandon Flowers) who thinks the lyrics of "Human" are great and would be willing to break it down line-by-line for you. It's subjective. "Let me use the EXACT argument you used against me, even without understanding it, and use it against you." Hate when people do this.
October 27, 201114 yr And there is definitely a wrong and right answer. And most people will agree that it missed the mark. Oh. Whatever introspective, creative target board he was shooting at it missed horribly. But see the thing is, I'm sure there's someone out there (besides Brandon Flowers) who thinks the lyrics of "Human" are great and would be willing to break it down line-by-line for you. It's subjective. "Let me use the EXACT argument you used against me, even without understanding it, and use it against you." Hate when people do this. I missed when Dr Beinfest argued that music is subjective. I thought that's the opposite argument he's used the whole time.
October 27, 201114 yr Author In respect to the argument, it's not a matter of whether you think every song in the world is sh*t and I am trying to defend every song I like. Just because the roles have been reversed in a case like "Human" doesn't mean my argument changes in any bit. There is a clear meaning to "When You Were Young", and there's nothing to suggest that it is meaningless or random words are just added in there. They are obvious meanings for one who analyzes it, and most of everybody would agree upon that meaning. In a case like "Human" there is a significant amount of evidence to support that it is meaningless. Most people have a very hard time understanding what it means, and really no conclusion can be reached. There literally is no context, and Brandon Flowers just stuck a word out of place. The word 'dancer' has no relative meaning in context to anything there. I'm sure Flowers was trying to be creative or intuitive, but it backfired. He produced lyrics with no meaning, that just sound silly. That much is fact. The word "dancer" has no contextual relevance in that song. Either that, or it is so beyond the scope of everyone and Brandon Flowers has a PhD in poetry. To state otherwise (just like you are with "When You Were Young") would be like stating that William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" is actually just one big drug induced hallucination. See how many people will get on board with that theory... there's a pretty fair understanding of R&J, and you thinking otherwise doesn't matter because that thought it wrong. Subjectivity has its limits.
October 27, 201114 yr Author Oh, and I decided I'm back in this game simply due to the fact that we are all that's going on here on MarlinsBaseball.com right now and probably will be for the next two weeks.
October 27, 201114 yr In respect to the argument, it's not a matter of whether you think every song in the world is sh*t and I am trying to defend every song I like. Just because the roles have been reversed in a case like "Human" doesn't mean my argument changes in any bit. There is a clear meaning to "When You Were Young", and there's nothing to suggest that it is meaningless or random words are just added in there. They are obvious meanings for one who analyzes it, and most of everybody would agree upon that meaning. In a case like "Human" there is a significant amount of evidence to support that it is meaningless. Most people have a very hard time understanding what it means, and really no conclusion can be reached. There literally is no context, and Brandon Flowers just stuck a word out of place. The word 'dancer' has no relative meaning in context to anything there. I'm sure Flowers was trying to be creative or intuitive, but it backfired. He produced lyrics with no meaning, that just sound silly. That much is fact. The word "dancer" has no contextual relevance in that song. Either that, or it is so beyond the scope of everyone and Brandon Flowers has a PhD in poetry. To state otherwise (just like you are with "When You Were Young") would be like stating that William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" is actually just one big drug induced hallucination. See how many people will get on board with that theory... there's a pretty fair understanding of R&J, and you thinking otherwise doesn't matter because that thought it wrong. Subjectivity has its limits. So if someone posted an interpretation of "Human" you would tell them they were wrong, correct?
October 27, 201114 yr Oh, and I decided I'm back in this game simply due to the fact that we are all that's going on here on MarlinsBaseball.com right now and probably will be for the next two weeks. That soda wars thread is poppin'. Get it? Yes? No? Yes? No? Okay. :dancehead
October 27, 201114 yr Author So if someone posted an interpretation of "Human" you would tell them they were wrong, correct? Of the song? No. Unless, of course, it was wrong. However, if someone tried to post an interpretation of the lyric "or are we dancer?"... I'd say they're wrong. Unless, of course, you cite Brandon Flowers explanation for it. In which case, Flowers is full of sh*t because in the English language there is nothing representative, metaphoric, or even contextually relevant to his lyrics. That being said there is a meaning for "Human", it's just a bulls*** meaning. Brandon Flowers did exactly what you were talking about in reference to "When You Were Young". He put a word in there with no context. "Dancer" is not defined. It has no lyrical representation. No significance. No context. No relevant definition. He ultimately made a definition for the word. However, in "When You Were Young" there is clear context.
October 27, 201114 yr Author Oh, and I decided I'm back in this game simply due to the fact that we are all that's going on here on MarlinsBaseball.com right now and probably will be for the next two weeks. That soda wars thread is poppin'. Get it? Yes? No? Yes? No? Okay. :dancehead Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. It's flat now though.
October 27, 201114 yr I should've mentioned this first. Love Akon (probably my fav artist), but these lyrics, smh http://www.directlyrics.com/akon-angel-lyrics.html
October 27, 201114 yr He hit me And it felt like a kiss. He hit me And I knew he loved me. If he didn't care for me I could have never made him mad But he hit me, And I was glad. http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/h/hehitmeitfeltlikeakiss.shtml
October 27, 201114 yr He hit me And it felt like a kiss. He hit me And I knew he loved me. If he didn't care for me I could have never made him mad But he hit me, And I was glad. http://lyricsplaygro...likeakiss.shtml Rihanna?
October 27, 201114 yr He hit me And it felt like a kiss. He hit me And I knew he loved me. If he didn't care for me I could have never made him mad But he hit me, And I was glad. http://lyricsplaygro...likeakiss.shtml Rihanna? Feat. Chris Brown?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.