November 9, 201114 yr When is a realistic time period we can expect to start seeing these big names signed? Around winter meetings? From MLBTR live chat. Comment From Jake Is the fact that no one has signed yet, a sign that teams are trying to be more fiscally responsible? When do you thing guys will start flying off the market? Who will be the first major domino to drop? 2:32 Tim Dierkes: Nope, we all get anxious when the free agent doors open but this is par for the course. Olney did say some teams would like to see the new CBA before making major moves, but big-name guys rarely sign with new teams in November anyway.
November 9, 201114 yr I'm pretty sure Nolasco would be as good as gone if such a deal were to happen with Reyes. so it would be Sanabia time? Sanabia with the 5.68 ERA now in the Arizona league?
November 9, 201114 yr I'm pretty sure Nolasco would be as good as gone if such a deal were to happen with Reyes. so it would be Sanabia time? Sanabia with the 5.68 ERA now in the Arizona league? I guess not hahaha
November 9, 201114 yr http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/marlins-rumors-.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed Just like last year, the Marlins are being aggressive early in the offseason. But this time instead of quickly signing John Buck and Javier Vazquez and shipping out Dan Uggla, Cameron Maybin, and Andrew Miller, the new Miami Marlins are wooing top free agents. The latest:Mark Buehrle toured the Marlins' new ballpark and caught up with his former manager Ozzie Guillen in a daylong visit yesterday, reports Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. Ace Josh Johnson commented, "It would be great for the team as a whole. He's a leader in the clubhouse and would really help out the rotation." Buehrle is a better bet to perform over the course of a free agent deal than C.J. Wilson, according to team executives who responded to a poll question posed by ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. Responders voted 14 to 8 in favor of Buehrle. A GM told Crasnick, "I know C.J. Wilson is a great story, and he's obviously pitched well. But I don't see knockout stuff, and his arm action concerns me a little bit. Buehrle quietly has been pretty rock-solid for a long time. He works fast and throws with no effort. His recipe seems built to last." Marlins president David Samson appeared on MLB Network Radio this morning with Jim Duquette and Kevin Kennedy, and Capozzi has a transcript. In regard to free-agent-to-be Yoenis Cespedes, Samson said, "Obviously he is a special guy. We’ve had some guys seeing him. We’re going to see him again. It’s not too often you can get an impact player like that as a free agent but again in our market at a position like center field with a bat that he has, that would seem like a good fit." The Marlins are sending a contingent to the Dominican Republic for a private workout with the Cuban center fielder tomorrow, in fact. Guillen has been very helpful in recruiting free agents, according to Samson. The Marlins are meeting with Jose Reyes today, and one Mets person told John Harper of the New York Daily News the Marlins plan to offer Reyes a high-salary, three-year deal. Personally, I don't think the Marlins will limit their offers to three years. I heard today that while Japan's Yomiuri Giants inquired on free agent and former Marlins top prospect Jeremy Hermida, he's looking to stay in MLB.
November 10, 201114 yr The 3 year idea is great in a vacuum, but there are other teams bidding and I see a desperate team blowing 3 years away.
November 10, 201114 yr You didn't say anything about their rotation. The Phillies have three pitchers who can give them 200 IP and Cy Young caliber numbers. Even with losing Oswalt, their worst starter last year, they are going to be an awesome team in 2012. Pretty sure this addresses them: "I'm not saying they can't be a good regular season team, what I'm saying is this year they had what was supposed to be a dream team with 4 aces and adding guys like Hunter Pence to an already dangerous line-up. But they were all sizzle and no steak. And now they're a year older and looking at missing players for long periods of time." It's a strength for sure, but it wasn't enough this year, why would it push them over the top after their offense gets severely weakened? Because the playoffs are mostly a crapshoot. If you build a team that wins 100 games in the regular season, but gets eliminated in the playoffs, it doesn't mean that the team was flawed.
November 10, 201114 yr Sign Reyes and that CF and we're set in the field. But we wouldn't have much left over for SP. Apparently Reyes is their highest, or at least a very high priority. Interesting stuff. I wonder where that leaves Coghlan if Reyes and the Cuban CF signs. At best on the bench, and most likely as trade bait with someone else as a package for a SP ?
November 10, 201114 yr I heard today that while Japan's Yomiuri Giants inquired on free agent and former Marlins top prospect Jeremy Hermida, he's looking to stay in MLB. LOLOLOL Good luck with that Jeremy LOL
November 11, 201114 yr Author Okay, although I believe Jorge Sedano is a tool and he may not have the greatest the sources, I'll post this anyways. SedanoShow Jorge Sedano Marlins returned from Cespedes workout. Source tells me Reyes "almost a done deal." Team also inquiring about A's Gio Gonzalez availability.
November 11, 201114 yr Okay, although I believe Jorge Sedano is a tool and he may not have the greatest the sources, I'll post this anyways. SedanoShow Jorge Sedano Marlins returned from Cespedes workout. Source tells me Reyes "almost a done deal." Team also inquiring about A's Gio Gonzalez availability. Hooleeeeeeee fhouehguerhhker. I hope that, for once in his life, the Jet hater is right!
November 11, 201114 yr Could you imagine? Reyes Cespedes Hanley Stanton LoMo Gaby Buck Infante JJ Gio Anibal Buehrle/Nolasco Volstad/Zambrano p9gh539ug5098thg
November 11, 201114 yr Too bad that MANLY lineup is going to be wearing such a GAY uniform! :exercise
November 11, 201114 yr I don't like this if it's true. If it's almost a done deal right now, that means we've offered something ridiculous that Reyes doesn't believe he's going to get elsewhere.
November 11, 201114 yr This is pretty interesting. Apparently some random dude tweeted a couple of days ago that Reyes and the Marlins had agreed to an agreement in principle. Sedano actually said, in response to that tweet, that he had confirmed that that was NOT true then. The same dude says the next day he is still hearing that Reyes will definitely be a Marlin. And now, Sedano, who at point was denying that they had a deal, is now himself asserting it. That seems to add a little credibility, but who knows. http://www.redszone....ead.php?t=92720
November 11, 201114 yr I don't like this if it's true. If it's almost a done deal right now, that means we've offered something ridiculous that Reyes doesn't believe he's going to get elsewhere. Or they gambled by offering him a deal for a limited time, but that would probably be tough to pull off. Who knows?
November 11, 201114 yr I'm not sure how I would feel about agreeing to a deal in principle with Reyes before the Marlins even meet with Pujols.
November 11, 201114 yr I really don't want Reyes, especially not for the 100 million some people have said he could get. He's a good player, not a superstar like Pujols or Fielder.
November 11, 201114 yr I'm not sure how I would feel about agreeing to a deal in principle with Reyes before the Marlins even meet with Pujols. Well, my feeling is that the Marlins would love to have any of Reyes, Pujols, or Fielder, at least within a certain price range. So, they are willing to make offers to all of them ASAP, and if one wants to sign, then they'll do it. If it happens that more than one of these guys actually wants to come here - and that's very unlikely - then they'll cross that bridge when they get there. I actually like the approach. They can't wait around and just hope the perfect offseason falls into their laps. They have to take any opportunities to improve as they present themselves.
November 11, 201114 yr yea, if i have to choose between one of them i would much rather pujols or fielder and obviously fielder if it means we can add more since he should make a little less.
November 11, 201114 yr Author Could you imagine? Reyes Cespedes Hanley Stanton LoMo Gaby Buck Infante JJ Gio Anibal Buehrle/Nolasco Volstad/Zambrano p9gh539ug5098thg
November 11, 201114 yr Could you imagine? Reyes Cespedes Hanley Stanton LoMo Gaby Buck Infante JJ Gio Anibal Buehrle/Nolasco Volstad/Zambrano p9gh539ug5098thg Would be even better if LoMo is at 1B and you trade Gaby and Ricky for a #4 and sign a LF
November 11, 201114 yr I doubt reyes gets paid on pujols or fielders level. Remember that fielder comes with the extra food maintenance expense. i find he has looked better physically over the last few seasons. he may have a little belly but overall he is jacked.
November 11, 201114 yr I'm not sure how I would feel about agreeing to a deal in principle with Reyes before the Marlins even meet with Pujols. Well, my feeling is that the Marlins would love to have any of Reyes, Pujols, or Fielder, at least within a certain price range. So, they are willing to make offers to all of them ASAP, and if one wants to sign, then they'll do it. If it happens that more than one of these guys actually wants to come here - and that's very unlikely - then they'll cross that bridge when they get there. I actually like the approach. They can't wait around and just hope the perfect offseason falls into their laps. They have to take any opportunities to improve as they present themselves. I'm sorry, but that's a poor way to handle free agents. Before rushing into a massive contract, they should at least be having serious conversations with every player they have interest in. While the Marlins have money to spend now, they still need to spend it carefully. It would be a disaster to make a deal with Reyes and then find out that Pujols (or anyone else) would be willing to work with them on a reasonable contract. If they sign Reyes, it's also going to be hard for them to sign an elite starter too. They need to make sure all of the pieces will fit together first.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.