December 17, 201114 yr I disagree with your assertion that our current lineup is not terrible. Having Nolasco and Volstad at #4 and #5 is pretty terrible. Nolasco, on a generic rotation, would be a #3 starter (based on his tERA and FIP numbers). Volstad, on a generic rotation, would be a #4 starter (again, based on his tERA and FIP numbers). We're pretty good as is. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see improvement though. Right now, we have one ace, two #2 starters, a #3 starter, and a #4 starter.
December 17, 201114 yr I don't buy that at all. If you look at NL starters with 150 IP pitched sorted by tERA, all of the playoff teams had at least three starters ranking higher than Nolasco. That tells me that he's probably a number 4 on a playoff team or even a fringe playoff team. "Generic rotation" is bogus. There's a difference between being a #3 starter on a playoff team and a #3 starter on the Cubs. And I think that FIP is a little misleading in Nolasco's case. He seemed to struggle because he was really getting smacked around with balls in play. It might be easy to blame the defense, but he had the second worst LD% (23.8%) in the NL among those with 150 IP (he ranks 57 out of 58). You can also argue that Volstad isn't a number 4 based on the same methods.
December 17, 201114 yr anyone thinks with reds overpaying for Latos, Billy Beane will ask for even more for Gio?
December 17, 201114 yr Author anyone thinks with reds overpaying for Latos, Billy Beane will ask for even more for Gio? Probably, especially because the A's are in no rush to move him. But even before that deal, we weren't getting Gio without giving up LoMo.
December 17, 201114 yr anyone thinks with reds overpaying for Latos, Billy Beane will ask for even more for Gio? Probably, especially because the A's are in no rush to move him. But even before that deal, we weren't getting Gio without giving up LoMo. ++ IMO
December 17, 201114 yr anyone thinks with reds overpaying for Latos, Billy Beane will ask for even more for Gio? Probably, especially because the A's are in no rush to move him. But even before that deal, we weren't getting Gio without giving up LoMo. If Beane was offered that same package for Gonzalez and turn it down I would fire him. The Padres came out way ahead in that deal IMO, but the Reds are still in good shape.
December 17, 201114 yr If you look at NL starters with 150 IP pitched sorted by tERA, all of the playoff teams had at least three starters ranking higher than Nolasco. That tells me that he's probably a number 4 on a playoff team or even a fringe playoff team. Good thing Nolasco is our #4 then... I don't really see the point you're trying to make. You basically said we aren't good enough with Ricky as our #4, but on every playoff team in the NL he would have projected as a #4. Doesn't that put us in line with every other NL post-season contender?
December 17, 201114 yr If you look at NL starters with 150 IP pitched sorted by tERA, all of the playoff teams had at least three starters ranking higher than Nolasco. That tells me that he's probably a number 4 on a playoff team or even a fringe playoff team. Good thing Nolasco is our #4 then... I don't really see the point you're trying to make. You basically said we aren't good enough with Ricky as our #4, but on every playoff team in the NL he would have projected as a #4. Doesn't that put us in line with every other NL post-season contender? The poster above me said that Nolasco was #3 caliber. I showed that it wasn't true. What's not to get? And nowhere in my post do I say that the Marlins aren't good enough with Nolasco as #4. You are putting words in my mouth.
December 17, 201114 yr Also--nothing I posted there suggests that the Marlins rotation is playoff caliber, either.
December 18, 201114 yr I still believe in Ricky Nolasco. I think he'll surprise us this season, if he stays a Marlin.
December 18, 201114 yr Nolasco is a #5 pitcher getting paid #3 money. If he's a #5, he's a very good #5. The majority of "#5's" are pitchers who probably don't even belong in the big leagues.
December 18, 201114 yr Let me rephrase. Nolasco is getting paid #3 money while putting up #5 numbers.
December 18, 201114 yr I still believe in Ricky Nolasco. I think he'll surprise us this season, if he stays a Marlin. I tried that for the last two seasons, at this point I'm pretty much expecting the same.
December 18, 201114 yr Author Let me rephrase. Nolasco is getting paid #3 money while putting up #5 numbers. I honestly don't see a problem with that for this season. Payroll is no issue (still fun to say).
December 18, 201114 yr Author “It’s very difficult to buy pitching, to trade for pitching, but we’re on it,� said Marlins president Admin Beinfest to Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald. “Ideally, we would love to add another top-of-the-rotation starter. Whether that’s practical, that remains to be seen.� He's basically saying that our farm system is depleted and there are no top-of-the-rotation starters available in FA which we are interested in.
December 18, 201114 yr “It’s very difficult to buy pitching, to trade for pitching, but we’re on it,� said Marlins president Admin Beinfest to Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald. “Ideally, we would love to add another top-of-the-rotation starter. Whether that’s practical, that remains to be seen.� He's basically saying that our farm system is depleted and there are no top-of-the-rotation starters available in FA which we are interested in. BEAT ME TO IT.....
December 18, 201114 yr Yu Darvish? Hint Hint :exercise .... Anyone else still believes Zambrano is coming here
December 18, 201114 yr That last tweet included the phrase "too expensive" which may be an indication that we may be out on Yu Darvish. Which is obvious cause most reports are showing the Jays and Rangers as the favorites. I don't know about you guys, but I think they should just go ahead and honor Oaklands demands for Gio Gonzalez. He is a legit 1-2 starter.
December 18, 201114 yr Author That last tweet included the phrase "too expensive" which may be an indication that we may be out on Yu Darvish. Which is obvious cause most reports are showing the Jays and Rangers as the favorites. I don't know about you guys, but I think they should just go ahead and honor Oaklands demands for Gio Gonzalez. He is a legit 1-2 starter. I still don't see that he is a legit 1-2 starter. He is a possible #2, but more likely a #3 in most good rotations. He has good strikeout rates and keeps the ball in the park... but that WHIP is killer. And his BB/9 has always been bad, even in the minors.
December 18, 201114 yr Author And also, teams have been overpaying for pitching this offseason, through both trades and FA. That's what Beinfest was alluding too. Simple supply and demand. It should be better either near the trade deadline or next offseason when more good pitchers are going to be on the move.
December 18, 201114 yr Author YU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do that... you just made me open MLBTR faster than ever before.
December 19, 201114 yr YU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do that... you just made me open MLBTR faster than ever before. :dancehead , I wish! but i expect an announcement by Tuesday on who won the bid
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.