Ozzie suspended 5 games

Admin

It's amazing that everyone pretty much has it ingrained (it wasn't just me, right?) that you don't discuss sex, politics and religion with just anyone, but famous people think everyone should have to hear their opinions on everything.

I'm sorry, but this is a monumentally silly thing to say.

I don't know what groups of people you run with, but people talk about politics all of the time.

I get it, you want to do an "OMG I HATE CELEBRITIEZ NOONE CARES WHAT THEY SAY" thing. But this is silly. Everyone talks about politics. The difference between any random person's opinion on anything and Ozzie's is that people actually do want to hear what he has to say.

It's amazing that everyone pretty much has it ingrained (it wasn't just me, right?) that you don't discuss sex, politics and religion with just anyone, but famous people think everyone should have to hear their opinions on everything.

I'm sorry, but this is a monumentally silly thing to say

I don't know what groups of people you run with, but people talk about politics all of the time.

I get it, you want to do an "OMG I HATE CELEBRITIEZ NOONE CARES WHAT THEY SAY" thing. But this is silly. Everyone talks about politics. The difference between any random person's opinion on anything and Ozzie's is that people actually do want to hear what he has to say.

No. People talk about politics within the privacy of their own social circles. I don't run up to strangers and ramble on about being pro choice, I don't go to a predominately Cuban area and say I respect Fidel Castro for something as human as LIVING. After 12 years of living here, Ozzie waited until he was the manager of this team to say that? Tacky. Like I said, I don't care what he said, it's completely irrelevant to me.

I get you wanna do a "OMG TRIVIALIZE AN ARGUMENT I DON'T AGREE WITH" But you're being "silly" I want to hear what Ozzie wants to say, when it relates to baseball. What he's an expert in. I've never wondered to myself how Ozzie feels about Corporal Punishment. Now, I don't begrudge him or other people their opinions, but I think we can all agree he's expressed them in an absolutely tactless way.

Also, I'm pretty sure my almost non-platonic love of Emma Stone and Zooey Deschanel should show how little I hate celebrities. Hell, I follow Zooey on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr, and Emma I'd follow to the end of the world (nohomo).

I don't run up to strangers and ramble on about being pro choice

That is not at all what he did, that is the whole point. This goes back to my first response to you. He was doing an interview. He was asked a question. He did not make a pronouncement. He did not say it on twitter. He was asked a question and he answered it. Maybe he made a mistake in doing so, but it is not what you are saying it is. He made a comment within the course of a conversation. He did not "go to a predominantly cuban area and say this."There is a key distinction there that your critique does not allow for.

If you want to criticize the content of his statement, by all means do so. But that is not what you are doing. Hell, criticize him for being tactless in answering this question.

But that is an entirely different from "Why do idiots with no real knowledge or context of politics and history feel it appropriate to give their asinine opinions? Actors, musicians, baseball managers...etc." Those are not the same criticisms. That is my entire point. You are trying to to turn this into a larger crusade, and that criticism does not hold up.

While its true that Castro has done some very evil things, it seems like to me people are transposing their hatred of Castro onto Ozzie just for making the comments that he did. Yes, he probably shouldn't have said them, but its not like he's suddenly become Fidel Castro himself. And I don't see his comments effecting the way the Marlins play baseball, which is all I really care about. Most people in professional sports are not role models......Ozzie included.

Media frenzy over nothing but word-choice.

By someone for whom English is a second language, not to mention being well-known as something less than fully facile and excruciatingly exacting when he's speaking English.

Castro is a despicable, mass-murdering thug, but Ozzie had a valid point -- it IS amazing that the monstrous Fidel has survived. His problem was his use of the words "love" and "respect" anywhere near the word "Castro," although even that is at least partially (and maybe fully) redeemed by his calling Castro a MFer in the same sentence.

If he'd said "A lot of people have tried to kill that MFer for 60 years and it's amazing that he's still alive and it's too bad that someone didn't succeed," everyone would be fine with it. Which is probably what he meant, more or less.

Perhaps Ozzie will consider his choice of words more carefully in the future, but I doubt it. Making ill-considered, off-the-wall comments is what he does.

Meanwhile, media whores will try to sell as many papers and click-throughs as they can, based on nothing but the verbal stumble of someone who almost always operates his mouth before fully engaging his brain and choosing his words carefully.

It's too bad Ozzie didn't decide to become a lawyer and run his mouth in a courtroom. The list of sanctions imposed by various judges would be as long as your arm and make for hilarious reading. Meanwhile, he's not going anywhere and I look forward to the next "controversy." Probably won't be more than a month from now.

Someone needs to tell Ozzie to shut his pie hole and keep it shut. If people don't accept apology #1, then apologies #2, #3, #4, #5 ... aren't going to sway them. The best thing that he can do is stfu and try to ride it out.

Tomorrow is going to be VERY interesting. Someone might try to take him out tomorrow. Again that is no joke. People who don't live here have no idea how sensitive this subject is in Miami.

I guess you would be referring to those that benefited from the Bautista group.

And what's this,"You have to live in Miami" crap? Think Cubans only live in Miami? Or is it that just Miami Cubans are smart enough to add 1 and 1 and come with 2. And in this case, 2 isn't what they are coming up with. This is closer to saying Broward and PBC had their chance to fill the stadium, now it's time for South Dade to show how it's done. Then a couple days later saying if the team dosen't win, South Dade won't be going to the games. Sound familiar?

Castro sucks. Bautista sucked. So did the group before him. And so on..... You come to the USA because you want Freedom of Speech, among other things, and then when you it hits you in the face about something you don't like you want to throw a fit?? Too bad.

Nothing will happen to Ozzie over this. The FO is openly kissing the collective butt of South Dade, Ozzie used some teeth, and now a small faction wants him out. Good luck with that. Or maybe I'm giving the Cuban community far more credit than they deserve. Not to mention every other community in South Florida. As in, "If Ozzie is even suspended because of this I am going to protest!!!"

[You come to the USA because you want Freedom of Speech, among other things, and then when you it hits you in the face about something you don't like you want to throw a fit?? Too bad.

Well, the thing about freedom of speech is it not freedom from criticism. Just as Ozzie has the freedom to voice this opinion, groups who do not like what he is saying are free to criticize for that.

Bringing up Freedom of Speech here is a distraction, and it has nothing to with what is happening.

I think this is becoming a bigger deal than people originally expected it to be.

Earlier today I said it would be, and the "head in the sand" people tried to just excuse it away If you live in Miami, and of course those that don't shouldn't speak on this, but those of us who have lived here all of our lives know there are topics you just don't go too, and speaking of Fidel in a positive light, even as a joke, is something you should not do. It can get you killed. And that is no joke. Old timer, bro, I don't give you a hard time but the whole " you have to live in miami or else you can comment" thing has run its course. This is the second time you have used it in an argument and I don't agree at all that you have to live in the area to be able to comment. You may better understand the situation but it doesn't change anything else really. Cop, you can say whatever you want, and I respect that, you know cause we have spoken privately before, but speaking authoritatively you just can't do it, unless you know the pulse of this place. I was born here 52 years ago, and have lived with the fallout from Fidel and his communist azz all my life. It changed my city forever (it can be debated for better or for worse), and is a completely different place than what my parents and one of my grandparents grew up in (my father's father was born in Miami in 1906). Miami was a sleepy, Southern city made up of mostly people who came here from other places in Florida, Georgia, sprinkled with a few Yankee's. Many of the people here used to farm (my mother's father) owned 160 acres in what is now the City of West Miami and grew tomatoes, strawberries and pole beans. That was the norm until the 1960's.

You do realize what you are saying is that the exciled Cubans are the ones that brought all the crime and drug trafficing to Miami.

You know what I don't understand? Why do idiots with no real knowledge or context of politics and history feel it appropriate to give their asinine opinions? Actors, musicians, baseball managers...etc.

I'm Cuban, and I don't care about what he said, but I don't understand WHAT WAS THE POINT? Was it worth it, Ozzie? Giving your oh so knowledgeable opinion on what does, or doesn't make a leader respectable?

I like when people do this sort of thing.

Do you think Ozzie called a press conference to make this pronouncement?

He was asked a question during the course of a discussion, and in his usual way, answered it in an un-filtered, off-the-cuff manner. He was almost certainly making an off-color joke, but it's not like he just decided to say 'HERE'S MY OPINION ON CASTRO' without prompting.

Disagree. Interviewers ask trigger questions, hoping you slip up and they can make money off you and the resulting s*** storm. A public figure should use common sense. Is he entirely socially unaware? Does he not know part of the audience he's catering to? Hell, the Venezolanos I know don't "respect" Fidel Castro's ability to be alive. They worried when Chavez and him became buddies. His platform should be used for more than making incendiary comments that don't involve baseball. I'm all for him upsetting the team and the fans; upsetting people is part of his charm, but I don't care about his thoughts outside of baseball.

This is our whole point. Ozzie does not have that little voice inside him telling him to watch every word that he utters to a reporter because it might end up here or get printed there. This is Ozzie's thing. He's not really interested. He doesn't even take himself seriously. He wasn't writing a book. I don't think it was a joke per se, it was just flippant. It was "almost gotta respect that M-F'er for still being alive while everyone's been trying to take him out for decades." He retracted the "love" comment as soon as he said it.

This is our whole point. Ozzie does not have that little voice inside him telling him to watch every word that he utters to a reporter because it might end up here or get printed there. This is Ozzie's thing. He's not really interested. He doesn't even take himself seriously. He wasn't writing a book. I don't think it was a joke per se, it was just flippant. It was "almost gotta respect that M-F'er for still being alive while everyone's been trying to take him out for decades." He retracted the "love" comment as soon as he said it.

It wasn't "almost gotta respect him". It was "I personally respect him". There's nothing to respect about that man. Nothing. He's a deplorable human being. The fact that he's lived as long as he has is an injustice to humanity. It was a stupid thing to say, just like his comment about getting drunk after every game. Even more stupid because of the demographics of where we are in the world.

To ALL the Cuban Fans, If you are going to Stike against the Marlins then your no fan of the Marlins in the first place.

2. President Bush is responsible for thousands of Military and Civilian deaths due to a needless war in iraq. Look up the data. If a manager said ''I respect bush'' that wouldnt stop me from supporting the Marlins

3. Your going to the game to watch and support the Marlins, not ozzie, the players had nothing to do with this stupid debacle , dont have the players pay the price.

4. If your Cuban and your going to strike because of a comment taken out of context, then your a Hypocrite, you know freedom of speach and all that, if your that critical over one statment then your being just the same as Fidal Castro that you all hate.

This is not the first time Ozzie expressed admiration for Fidel Castro, it turns out. In today's Chicago Sun-Times, sports columnist Rick Telander recalls a 2008 interview for Men's Journal magazine in which Guillen, then of course with the White Sox, told him that Fidel Castro is the toughest man he knows. When asked why, Ozzie said this:

“He’s a bull---- dictator and everybody’s against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him,’’ Ozzie replied. “Everywhere he goes, they roll out the red carpet. I don’t admire his philosophy; I admire him.’’

The full colulmn is here.

This received no attention at the time, September 2008, in which the White Sox were competing for the AL Central title which they eventually won in a playoff. In Chicago, most people don't care what Ozzie thinks about Castro. Chicago has a huge community of Latinos, most of whom are of Mexican descent and don't have the passion for this issue that South Florida's Cuban community does. Hence, Ozzie took no heat for it. But now...

I say there is a 50/50 chance that Guillen does not survive this.

"To Cuban-Americans, Fidel Castro is our Hitler." - Dan Le Batard

Who are these fools? As a Jew and a Hispanic, I'm done with them. It's naked politics; on what planet is Fidel anywhere near Hitler. He's not even as bad other Latin American dictators like Videla in Argentina (who was nominally supported by Reagan for awhile).

It's politics from children who want to hear their voice. This is the group that actually pushes for an embargo that hurts their supposed country and its people. I can't think of another immigrant group who does that, and they always get a pass in SoFla.

I wish someone in the media would call them out for the politicized assholes that they are.

To ALL the Cuban Fans, If you are going to Stike against the Marlins then your no fan of the Marlins in the first place.

2. President Bush is responsible for thousands of Military and Civilian deaths due to a needless war in iraq. Look up the data. If a manager said ''I respect bush'' that wouldnt stop me from supporting the Marlins

3. Your going to the game to watch and support the Marlins, not ozzie, the players had nothing to do with this stupid debacle , dont have the players pay the price.

4. If your Cuban and your going to strike because of a comment taken out of context, then your a Hypocrite, you know freedom of speach and all that, if your that critical over one statment then your being just the same as Fidal Castro that you all hate.

I am not offended at all by Ozzie's comments. But im offended by this.

TBH I reallly think this was the most ignorant post I've ever heard and you probably have no idea the extent of the damage Castro has done, killing millions of Cubans and other groups around the world.

You think thats a bad war? What about Cuba going into Angola in Africa in 1975 to fight a war for diamonds and wood? 500,000 cuban deaths. A war where many Cubans not only died cruel deaths on the battlefield, but many acquired diseases like Malaria and weren't treated for it. You probably had no idea about that war because its not in the history books.

Fidel is a legitimate dictator that can be compared to hitler. he is the reason for millions of deaths in Cuba. Just because most people haven't been shown that doesn't mean he hasn't done it. and to compare Bush to Fidel is offensive and ignorant.

I apologize if this post offends you.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTkr2EKXFVg

Bush is responsible for thousands of Military and Civilian deaths due to a needless war in iraq. [snip further blather]

Why are you inspired to say insipid stuff like this?

Then, there's your misunderstanding and misuse of simple words. By "your" you mean "you're," by "speach" you mean "speech" and by "Fidal" you mean "Fidel." Never mind all of the unnecessary capitalization, or lack of it (Iraq.) Judging by your post, you're at best semi-literate. A fine product of the NEA.

The completely unproven opinion of a semi-literate is not likely to gain much currency. You're in trouble when Ozzie speaks better English than you do.

TBH I reallly think this was the most ignorant post I've ever heard and you probably have no idea the extent of the damage Castro has done, killing millions of Cubans and other groups around the world.

You think thats a bad war? What about Cuba going into Angola in Africa in 1975 to fight a war for diamonds and wood? 500,000 cuban deaths. You probably had no idea about that war because its not in the history books.

Fidel is a legitimate dictator that can be compared to hitler. he is the reason for millions of deaths in Cuba. Just because most people haven't been shown that doesn't mean he hasn't done it. and to compare Bush to Fidel is offensive and ignorant.

Go to Cuba and tell the people that. Since you know Cuba so well from Miami, why don't you explain to the people of Cuba that Castro is apparently like Hitler. Assuming you are Cuban you should be able to go and see for yourself what actual Cubans think of this kind of garbage.

What did Alexei Ramirez, an actual Cuban not a poser from Miami, say about this? "I feel everyone has their opinion, but I also feel people should be forgiven."

What did Jose Contreras, another acutal Cuban and not a poser, say? He told Ozzie "Don't worry about it."

You know nothing of dictators. I lived in Argentina when Videla was in power, when being a Jew was a dirty thing to be. But Videla was no Hitler and Castro was no Videla.

You are a liar. 500,000 Cuban deaths in Angola? Lies. No historian places the number over 20 thousand.

Castrogate has reached epic proportions.

* Ozzie Guillen is front page news in today's Miami Herald. The newspaper has page to page coverage of the scandal.

* Local news is starting out with news updates about Castrogate

* WIOD (the biggest radio station in S. Florida) has stopped short of calling for Ozzie to be fired. They have given him a lot of heat.

* Spanish radio stations are calling for Ozzie to be fired, and people have been calling Radio Marti (710AM) which is the biggest Spanish talk radio station in Miami, for 3 hours nonstop. Hundreds of callers are asking for Ozzie to resign, saying they will boycott the Marlins, and some even suggesting Ozzie better watch his back.

*Several Miami-Dade Commissioners are calling for Ozzie to resign or be fired.

* Miami mayor asked the Marlins to make amends to the community (whatever that means.)

Castrogate has reached epic proportions.

* Ozzie Guillen is front page news in today's Miami Herald. The newspaper has page to page coverage of the scandal.

* Local news is starting out with news updates about Castrogate

* WIOD (the biggest radio station in S. Florida) has stopped short of calling for Ozzie to be fired. They have given him a lot of heat.

* Spanish radio stations are calling for Ozzie to be fired, and people have been calling Radio Marti (710AM) which is the biggest Spanish talk radio station in Miami, for 3 hours nonstop. Hundreds of callers are asking for Ozzie to resign, saying they will boycott the Marlins, and some even suggesting Ozzie better watch his back.

*Several Miami-Dade Commissioners are calling for Ozzie to resign or be fired.

* Miami mayor asked the Marlins to make amends to the community (whatever that means.)

None of this surprises me, and I'm in the Chicago area.

You think thats a bad war? What about Cuba going into Angola in Africa in 1975 to fight a war for diamonds and wood? 500,000 cuban deaths. You probably had no idea about that war because its not in the history books.

Go to Cuba and tell the people that. Since you know Cuba so well from Miami, why don't you explain to the people of Cuba that Castro is apparently like Hitler. Assuming you are Cuban you should be able to go and see for yourself what actual Cubans think of this kind of garbage.

What did Alexei Ramirez, an actual Cuban not a poser from Miami, say about this? "I feel everyone has their opinion, but I also feel people should be forgiven."

What did Jose Contreras, another acutal Cuban and not a poser, say? He told Ozzie "Don't worry about it."

You know nothing of dictators. I lived in Argentina when Videla was in power, when being a Jew was a dirty thing to be. But Videla was no Hitler and Castro was no Videla.

You are a liar. 500,000 Cuban deaths in Angola? Lies. No historian places the number over 20 thousand.

I have family that actually went to Angola. An uncle that actually got Malaria and was told by his commander that he was faking it. He saved himself because he knew how to be treated. He was working in the medical department and knew what to do. I could show you plenty of interviews of Angolan veterans ie Guillermo Farinas who was also a political prisoner who has conducted multiple hunger strikes.

My father was also a political prisoner for 7 years before coming to this country.

As I said before I am not offended at all by Ozzie's comments. He has his right to an opinion and i'm not going to stop supporting the marlins for that. Even if his comments said that he supported Communism, that would not offend me either. I spend an extensive time reading communist text.

But to compare Bush to Fidel is definitely offensive. You say I know nothing of dictators. That is true I dont I was born here and have never been to Cuba due to my fathers exile. But I can tell you for a fact that Fidel has caused millions of Cuban deaths.

I agree comparing Bush to Castro or any dictator is stupid. Not even close to the same. Democratically elected officials went to war in Iraq and it makes me angry when people pretend like Bush was a dictator who went himself.

That's very interesting about your uncle in Angola. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to be sent on a fool's war in a backward country like Angola back then.