Ozzie suspended 5 games

Admin

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen apologized today for a Time Magazine article in which he said he loved Fidel Castro.

“I am sure I’m against (the way) he thinks, the way he treats people and way he treats his country for a long time,� Guillen said. “I’m against that 100 percent. I’m not crazy or stupid or ignorant to say I love somebody. He not just hurt Cuban people he hurt a lot of people counting Venezuelans.

“Whoever got hurt or misunderstood or (took it) the way he wants to take it, I will apologize. I will apologize if I hurt somebodies feelings. I am against everything, 100 percent, why this man has been treating people for the last 60 years.�

Guillen, who is from Venezuela, is quoted in the article as saying: “I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that (expletive) is still here.�

Guillen clarified today that he said he respects him as a man but not because of his politics.

“I said I respect this man because. … I respect Obama, I respect Chavez because I always respect people,� he said. “Meanwhile I disagree 100 percent what this is doing to the country.�

Guillen, who is described in the article as “the most unfiltered figure in baseball� and is known for being outspoken and truthful, said he did not sleep last night for the first time because of something he said.

He appeared via telephone on Univision television today to apologize.

“If you read the article it sounds ugly because the first time I read it I was, ‘wow, that’s going to get me in trouble,’’’ Guillen said. “I understand that and I’m not hiding from anybody, especially the people in Miami.

“From the bottom of my heart they (they should) believe me. If they are disappointed and they are upset with what I say I don’t blame them but I’m with them. I live in Miami for 12 years, I know exactly what this man means to the town.�

The Marlins released a statement Friday in response to the article.

“We are aware of the article,� it said. “There is nothing to respect about Fidel Casto. He is a brutal dictator who has caused unthinkable pain for more than 50 years. We live in a community filled with victims of this dictatorship and the people in Cuba continue to suffer today.�

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2012/04/07/miami-marlins-manager-ozzie-guillen-apologizes-for-statements-about-fidel-castro/

You move the team to Miami ... build a stadium smack dab in the middle of Little Havana ... and then alienate the local population. Brilliant! No chance that this blows over. Spanish language radio is going to be all over it. Ozzie is a moron and a PR nightmare. He was a bad hire, and the sooner he's replaced the better.

You move the team to Miami ... build a stadium smack dab in the middle of Little Havana ... and then alienate the local population. Brilliant! No chance that this blows over. Spanish language radio is going to be all over it. Ozzie is a moron and a PR nightmare. He was a bad hire, and the sooner he's replaced the better.

Its been 3 games. He hasn't even done anything crazy yet. Oh and the goal is for the media to talk about him and the marlins. Its working. #winning

That's a good chunk of the target audience that he just alienated. #winning indeed.

Move the team to Miami? we were always in miami.

anyway, im pretty sure 99% of fans dont give a F**k what he said, if your a true Marlins fan that is.

Move the team to Miami? we were always in miami.

anyway, im pretty sure 99% of fans dont give a F**k what he said, if your a true Marlins fans that is.

No they were outside the city limits

Nobody is going to remember this by the break.

Of all the things Ozzie Guillen has said and done in Chicago, none of them have generated the furor his Castro comments did in South Florida. With several radio stadions dedicated to anti-Castro programming 24/7, I am sure this will not die any time soon. It'll be interesting to see how his sons, Ozzie Jr. and Oney, react to this on Twitter. Oney especially is vicious on Twitter.

Of all the things Ozzie Guillen has said and done in Chicago, none of them have generated the furor his Castro comments did in South Florida. With several radio stadions dedicated to anti-Castro programming 24/7, I am sure this will not die any time soon.

Oh, yes it will. Someone's gonna make another comment in a month, and people will be all, "Ozzie who?"

Sorry to say it isn't going away. Cubans in SO FL according to channel 7 are very upset, calling for his firing, boycotting the Marlins, and planning a protest rally from Versailles restaurant to the Park on Tuesday in morning.

Nope doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

If the Fish are winning in mid-May, they'll forget about it.

Plus if people would actually read ...

I don't even have to finish that statement, really.

Sorry to say it isn't going away. Cubans in SO FL according to channel 7 are very upset, calling for his firing, boycotting the Marlins, and planning a protest rally from Versailles restaurant to the Park on Tuesday in morning.

The group that is boycotting the Marlins and doing the protest rally has 63 likes on their facebook page. I don't think they are entirely representative of the Cuban community in Miami.

Nope doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

If the Fish are winning in mid-May, they'll forget about it.

Plus if people would actually read ...

I don't even have to finish that statement, really.

Not going to happen when you add Castro and Miami together.

BTW, I'm going to Cuba next week... anyone want anything?