Marlins Players happy Hanley is gone

MikeFinFan

Could be any of a dozen or more guys.

Likely not Reyes, Bonifacio, Mujica, LoMo or Buck, they were either quoted or noted as getting personal text messages from Baby Hanley. Although that doesn't rule them out, that could have been a little protection from Navarro for the "anonymous" guy, who he obviously talked to at some length.

“There were a lot of smiles’’ in the Marlins clubhouse Wednesday morning, happiness because a player disliked by many in the organization — but protected by the front office for years because he was producing — was finally gone.

I'll guess 20+ guys were smiling. For good reason.

"Anonymous" is most likely someone who is actually performing -- Stanton, Dobbs, Ruggiano, Buerhle, JJ, Cishek, Solano, Dunn -- that list is short. The rest probably felt the same but wanted to be invisible or say nice things while being very, very happy that Baby Hanley is finally gone.

Of the performers, the rookies, short-timers and low-cost BP guys aren't likely to stick their necks out, even anonymously. That leaves Dobbs, Buerhle and JJ. Maybe Stanton -- he's generally been pretty quiet, but has been getting more assertive in his comments lately in post-game interviews. Sort of emerging leadership. A good thing.

Who knows? I'm glad someone said it, no matter who it was.

Likely not Reyes, Bonifacio, Mujica, LoMo or Buck, they were either quoted or noted as getting personal text messages from Baby Hanley. Although that doesn't rule them out, that could have been a little protection from Navarro for the "anonymous" guy, who he obviously talked to at some length.

“There were a lot of smiles’’ in the Marlins clubhouse Wednesday morning, happiness because a player disliked by many in the organization — but protected by the front office for years because he was producing — was finally gone.

20? I didn't realize that much of the team was comprised of white guys!

Well, it was probably a white guy since it seems that divide was especially well etched for Hanley.

Probably wasn't Lomo, as it was Manny Navarro and not Juan C. dropping this one.

Buck seemed to like him, so it won't be him.

Buehrle doesn't like talking to the media, so it's not him.

I'm in agreement with the short timers, rooks, and random BP guys statement.

Yeah, probably Dobbs.

"Anonymous" is most likely someone who is actually performing -- Stanton, Dobbs, Ruggiano, Buerhle, JJ, Cishek, Solano, Dunn -- that list is short. The rest probably felt the same but wanted to be invisible or say nice things while being very, very happy that Baby Hanley is finally gone.

Of the performers, the rookies, short-timers and low-cost BP guys aren't likely to stick their necks out, even anonymously. That leaves Dobbs, Buerhle and JJ. Maybe Stanton -- he's generally been pretty quiet, but has been getting more assertive in his comments lately in post-game interviews. Sort of emerging leadership. A good thing.

Who knows? I'm glad someone said it, no matter who it was.

Do you call Hanley baby cause youre like, oh i love Hanley thats my baby.?

20? I didn't realize that much of the team was comprised of white guys!

It isn't. Near as I can tell, there are 17 "white guys."

But, who said anything about white guys? I said 20+ guys. As in virtually everyone.

I should have said 24 guys. It would have been 25, but Eovaldi wasn't here yet. Anyone mouthing the standard BS of "it wasn't Baby Hanley's fault" so as to fob it off and stay under the radar knows otherwise. Which is why there were so many smiles in the clubhouse.

Of all of the many fails of this team, Baby Hanley's was by far the largest and most consequential, and everyone knows it. It was only punctuated and emphasized by his fan-punching and denial of fault for failing to take his subsequently prescribed meds.

He'd have been better off if he'd punched an actual, flesh-and-blood fan. Then we could have speculated about him being totally out of control instead of merely being totally juvenile.

Do you call Hanley baby

It's Ozzie's term for him.

Which you would know if you were paying attention.

Why would i need to know that? What does that have to do with baseball? Sorry for not being as cool as you and reading everything ozzie has ever been quoted in. im such a bad fan.

Here ya go:

“It’s pretty infected,� Guillen said. “I was kind of worried about it. Hopefully the doctor will find exactly what he needs and make sure baby Hanley takes (it). I will every night ‘open your mouth’ and put it in his mouth.�

http://Adminbrownspo...dication/147395

Brown was quoting a Herald or Sun-Sentinel article, I forget which. Doesn't matter.

You don't need to know that, but you would know that if you were paying any attention. Not that it matters.

Nor does it matter who provided the anonymous quotes about Baby Hanley, merely that someone did.

No, I don't. He said it. This is Ozzie we're talking about.

“I was kind of worried about it. Hopefully the doctor will find exactly what he needs and make sure baby Hanley takes (it). I will every night ‘open your mouth’ and put it in his mouth.�

Ozzie was being very honest about exactly what he thought. Our former Baby Hanley was too much of child to remedy or take responsibility for his own very stupid actions.

"Of all of the many fails of this team, Baby Hanley's was by far the largest and most consequential, and everyone knows it. It was only punctuated and emphasized by his fan-punching and denial of fault for failing to take his subsequently prescribed meds."

Uh, no.

The largest and most consequential failure award goes to Fatty Bell.

How is it suddenly his name for him?

Ozzie accurately described Hanley. He said Hanley was a baby -- an infant, who had to be spoon-fed. And he was exactly right. Which is one of the reasons that they got rid of him. What are you going to do with a some sort of baby/infant/juvenile who punches a metal fan, gets stitches, doesn't take his meds and then denies responsibility?

Ozzie, as usual, summed it up well.

You have a point there. They are probably close to equal in terms of engendering gross, massive failures. But, I still lean toward Baby Hanley's constant failure to produce when it mattered. Bell only failed 6 times, Baby Hanley had become an even larger joke when it counts.

I doubt it was his nick name for him

Who said it was Ozzie's nick-name for him?

I said Ozzie called him a baby. As he most certainly did, in the public prints.

MY name for him is Baby Hanley. As it should be. Who am I to argue with Ozzie?

You have a point there. They are probably close to equal in terms of engendering gross, massive failures. But, I still lean toward Baby Hanley's constant failure to produce when it mattered. Bell only failed 6 times, Baby Hanley had become an even larger joke when it counts.

Bell has failed more than 6 times, regardless of what the blown save statistic says. He's been pulled from a save situation on numerous occasions, he blew one against the Cardinals that didn't count as a blown save.

He's sucked in a role in which any above average reliever has a success rate...at least over 80%. As much as everyone hated Leo Nunez, his save % as a Marlin was better than Bell's (81.4 % to be exact) and I really don't recall him being pulled in the middle of a save either for others to clean up his mess. Not to mention he made less money.

Not to make excuses for him because he underachieved as well, but Hanley basically did what every other member of the offense did this year.

As bad as it's been, this team (and this is probably oversimplifying the situation, but it's still fact) is probably still buying and believing if Heath Bell just cuts his terribleness in half.

And if Hanley is a baby, I'd love to hear the adjective for Heath Bell's constant whining in the reality show. The guy is easily the most annoying Marlin player ever, and there have been plenty of annoying players in the group (Hanley included).

Bell has failed more than 6 times, regardless of what the blown save statistic says. He's been pulled from a save situation on numerous occasions, he blew one against the Cardinals that didn't count as a blown save.

He's sucked in a role in which any above average reliever has a success rate...at least over 80%. As much as everyone hated Leo Nunez, his save % as a Marlin was better than Bell's (81.4 % to be exact) and I really don't recall him being pulled in the middle of a save either for others to clean up his mess. Not to mention he made less money.

Not to make excuses for him because he underachieved as well, but Hanley basically did what every other member of the offense did this year.

As bad as it's been, this team (and this is probably oversimplifying the situation, but it's still fact) is probably still buying and believing if Heath Bell just cuts his terribleness in half.

And if Hanley is a baby, I'd love to hear the adjective for Heath Bell's constant whining in the reality show. The guy is easily the most annoying Marlin player ever, and there have been plenty of annoying players in the group (Hanley included).

This.

And in response to the thread, judging by the bit they had on the first episode about dobbs and what he says is fun about the game (moving a guy over, taking the guy out on a double play, etc.) he's definitely the one who said those things. At the very least he had to have had one of the biggest smiles in the clubhouse.

Guest Guest

I know a lot of people have said that they feel sorry for Bell, but on The Franchise he really comes off as a loathsome douche. Unless Bell manages to somehow piece together a respectable final 2 months of the season, I'd really like to see the Marlins place him on irrevocable waivers in the offseason. If I were GM, that's what I'd do with him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.