Passan: "Marlins to cut payroll next year, blah, blah..."

MiamiNative0722

The Marlins are far more concerned about their club beyond 2013 as opposed to 2013 itself, executives who have inquired on Josh Johnson told Passan.  Those sources say the Marlins plan to cut payroll next year, after this year's franchise high, and thus seek cheap, young players.

Looks like we were hustled gentlemen. Baseball next year is going to suck...

Im not saying that it won't happen, but it seems like speculation from one GM. I seriously doubt that the Marlins are going around telling rival GM's their intentions for next season. Just because they want young talent back doesn't mean they are going to cut payroll? I mean seriously, are they supposed to trade for older expensive players? That wold defeat the purpose of rebuilding/ retooling or whatever you want to call it. You also don't know what they are going to do in free agency. Also, why keep Reyes, and Buehrle around if you don't plan to rebuild quickly? You have to figure that Jacob Turner and Rob Brantley are going to be on the ML roster next season and Eovaldi is already on the roster. They aren't trading for players that are two or three years away. They have traded for players that are ready or almost ready to play in the majors. The fact that young players are cheaper is actually a good thing for us. My last point is as Penguino says, you have to take everything that Jeff Passan says about the Marlins with a grain of salt. He is the number one Marlins hater in the Media.

Guest Guest

Guess I'm out of the loop here a little but who's does this Passan wright for? Keep seeing his name thrown around on here.

Yahoo

If we trade away JJ, I absolutely believe we won't return to our 2012 payroll numbers, but that's only because we'd have traded away 13.5 from JJ, 4 from Infante, 16 from Hanley, so I don't see us picking up 34M this FA period for 2013. Doesn't mean we're going back to our cheap payroll cutting ways, just means we've realized our mistake that you can't suddenly buy a winning roster.

But if we keep JJ, we'll only make 1 or 2 solid signings. Probably some bullpen help and a position guy. There's 1-2 guys in the offseason I really want that I think makes the world of sense at a reasonable price.

This is dumb.

I'm sure baseball executives have shared this with Jeff Passan and NO OTHER SPORTS REPORTER IN THE NATION.

And secondly, of course they seek cheap, young players in return for JJ. The teams that want Josh Johnson aren't trading stars back to us, they're in playoff races for christ sakes. That statement doesn't even make any sense.

Who do you want back for Josh Johnson? Some overpriced average vets or do you want other team's top prospects who will:

1) be under your control for years,

2) might turn out to be a stars, and

3) also conveniently happen to be cheap which allows you to spend on FA if you want.

This is dumb. It's Passan so I don't know why I bother.

and to echo gizmo, even if it does drop 10 million or something I don't think people are necessarily going to revolt or something... but we're not going to see pre-stadium levels. If they do I'll be the first to rip them a new one.

I would like to bring back Anibal, of those young guys from 06, he is the one that has held up recently.

He would be nice to have back but not at 14 million or whatever hell ask for. Hopefully we can clear Ricky's salary and that should give us even more flexibility. Maybe we can clear about 8-9 million of it.

If we wanted cheap young players, perhaps we should get better at actually acquiring them. We've only gotten a couple nice surprises from the draft in recent years, despite ample opportunity, and we've sent out far more talent since 2006 than we have come close to receiving back via trade.

It's easy to try and get rid of most of your payroll, but its pretty hard to field a reasonable team of affordable players when you are among the worst in the league at finding young talent.

The Marlins are far more concerned about their club beyond 2013 as opposed to 2013 itself, executives who have inquired on Josh Johnson told Passan. Those sources say the Marlins plan to cut payroll next year, after this year's franchise high, and thus seek cheap, young players.

Looks like we were hustled gentlemen. Baseball next year is going to suck...

I think you're right. The mistake is just using Passan as the source since Passan is buffalo's anal fissure. They are going to cut payroll. So they are going young. Duh. I really don't understand why the down votes. They are doing exactly this.

I do think they are looking beyond 2013 and they should at this point. Look at the return they have sought in trades. Young sp. I know everyone is super high on eovaldi and turner, but them along with nolshitsco, fa, and fa arent good enough (if JJ is traded). Do you really think they are going to pickup

Zack Greinke

AND edwin jackson? Or one of them? Or some other good FA pitcher? Even with those two, do you really think that rotation will be good enough? Thats not even mentioning the massive holes in cf and 3b. Oh and the severe lack of power this team has right now. Might as well call 1b a hole too, although its probably too early since the organization has f***ed lomo left and right. I think its fairly clear they are looking to the future.

You can't say our rotation will suck if we lose JJ (if traded) like you mentioned AND say we'll have holes at CF and 3B and now 1B.

One or the other. If we trade JJ, it's because we're going to fill one of those holes, probably 3b with Olt. If we don't fill those holes, than we keep JJ. Pick one of the two...

And if we trade JJ, I fully expect the signing of a good starting pitcher.

note : We also have Ruggiano in CF... he's surpassed all my expectations on defense and offense. I like him there just fine until proven otherwise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.