Comparing 2013 to 2006

Erick

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130102&content_id=40828986&vkey=news_mia&c_id=mia

I feel like the 2006 lineup was better, but I suppose it's something to look forward to. The two World Series seasons aside, 2006 was the most fun I've had as a Marlins fan. They only won 78 games, but considering they were supposed to suck/how they started 11-31, it ended up being a fun, exciting year.

What I meant by my comment was that the 2006 lineup had more upside even before the year began, in hindsight.

With that said, the 2013 version is probably better defensively. The pitching staff could probably put up those #'s as the potential is very similar in hindsight. Our bullpen is also better in 2013; for what it's worth, the bullpen that year blew a bunch of games (at least from what I remember) at the beginning of the year, hence the terrible start. Once they settled into their respective roles with Borowski closing, etc., that team was fun to watch. Cishek is definitely better than whatever we had in the pen that year. Matt Herges was the setup guy that year, and he's easily one of my least favorite Marlins of all-time.

The team also had guys like Randy Messenger and Logan Kensing pitch significant innings out of the pen that year, both of whom were attrocious, as well.

That team would have been in serious contention for the wildcard late into September that year if not for the bullpen.

Reggie Abercrombie was our opening day center fielder that year.

Ah, Reggie Abercrombie. Your 500 foot homer in Cincinnati lives on in memory.

And is probably the only thing you cling on to at this point.

And don't forget, the 2006 team had Renyel Pinto. If we don't have a Renyel Pinto this year, that's worth, like ... eleventy wins!

that's a pretty nice comparison actually. '06 had a young Hanley & Cabrera, '13 has a young Stanton and a top prospect on the way in Yelich. '13 trying to build that same kind of young talented rotation.

Man that core of Cabrera, Hanley, Hermida, Willingham, Uggla. for a while that sure looked awfully promising.

also the Mariners just signed Mike Jacobs.

People who think that the 2013 team will be like 2006 probably don't grasp how much better the talent was in recovering from the 2005 firesale. The Marlins also had more minor talent in their system ready to contribute in 2006--Yelich and Ferndandez aren't ready yet.

The offense in 2006 was way better than what the 2013 team's will be. There was simply much better talent there in 2006. The 2012 Marlins had a team OPS of .690--where are the offensive upgrades? It's hard for me to really expect a net gain in offensive performance even after shedding guys like Buck, Gaby, and Lee. Perhaps the best hope is that Morrison breaks out or Stanton plays more than 150 games. Or Ruggiano doesn't regress too much. Guys like Pierre, Hechavarria, Solano, and Polanco aren't going to contribute much offense.

The Marlins ended up having one of the lowest starters ERAs in the NL in 2006. Turner is probably the only 2013 starter I'd expect a sub-4.00 ERA from.

I just read the article. Frisaro says this:

Nolasco projects to be the ace of Miami's '13 squad.

I mean, how is the 2013 rotation supposed to mirror 2006's if that's the case? I suspect that a couple of the starters will outperform Nolasco, but that's not really the point.

What I meant by my comment was that the 2006 lineup had more upside even before the year began, in hindsight.

With that said, the 2013 version is probably better defensively. The pitching staff could probably put up those #'s as the potential is very similar in hindsight. Our bullpen is also better in 2013; for what it's worth, the bullpen that year blew a bunch of games (at least from what I remember) at the beginning of the year, hence the terrible start. Once they settled into their respective roles with Borowski closing, etc., that team was fun to watch. Cishek is definitely better than whatever we had in the pen that year. Matt Herges was the setup guy that year, and he's easily one of my least favorite Marlins of all-time.

We should be friends.

And don't forget, the 2006 team had Renyel Pinto. If we don't have a Renyel Pinto this year, that's worth, like ... eleventy wins!

Eric Reed (he was really fast) was the OD starter that year.

EDIT: And Pinto had a 3.03 ERA that year. He only gave up runs in 5 of his 27 apperances. 2 of them were in wins and the other 3 were loses before he went into the game. He had 1 save, 3 holds, 0 blown saves, and 0 loses.

Eric Reed (he was really fast) was the OD starter that year.

EDIT: And Pinto had a 3.03 ERA that year. He only gave up runs in 5 of his 27 apperances. 2 of them were in wins and the other 3 were loses before he went into the game. He had 1 save, 3 holds, 0 blown saves, and 0 loses.

GEE THANKS BASEBALL-REFERENCE.