Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ricky Nolasco traded to Dodgers

Featured Replies

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

 

 

I mean if he goes to SF or LA money won't be an issue to begin with and I'm sure those teams would rather pay than give up better prospects and I bet Loria will happily oblige.

Question is, what will we get??

 

 

I've always wondered how much the $6 million left to Nolasco for this season would impact such a deal. If the Marlins eat it, are they going to get back something a lot more worthwhile? Does it make no difference because they're likely to get minor prospects either way? Would the Marlins even be willing to eat the $6 million anyway?

I mean if he goes to SF or LA money won't be an issue to begin with and I'm sure those teams would rather pay than give up better prospects and I bet Loria will happily oblige.

 

 

This is my fear, I'm really hoping the Marlins eat the money and get back a better prospect(s).

I mean if he goes to SF or LA money won't be an issue to begin with and I'm sure those teams would rather pay than give up better prospects and I bet Loria will happily oblige.

 

 

This is my fear, I'm really hoping the Marlins eat the money and get back a better prospect(s).

 

 

Maybe with the Os that'll matter. But if he goes to the NL West, which I have my money on, then that $6m is squat to either of those teams and won't have any influence on what we get back.

And the desperate nature in which the fish are trying to unload him sounds to me like a salary dump more than a prospect acquisition play. The quicker they get rid of him, the less salary they have to pay.

Maybe with the Os that'll matter. But if he goes to the NL West, which I have my money on, then that $6m is squat to either of those teams and won't have any influence on what we get back.

 

 

Interesting, look forward to seeing how it all ends up.

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

 

 

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

 

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.At the expense of a better prospect?

 

I think it's a moot point now anyways. The market for Nolasco seems to be pretty big, especially for what he is. I think we'll get something good regardless.

Yet in all of these rumors I'm reading, no one is throwing out any names at all. It's like... what is Nolasco worth? Is it like a Cox type prospect and nothing else? Two of those? Something better?

I think we're beyond a Cox type prospect at this point. Apparently the entire NL West is fighting for Nolasco with the exception of AZ

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

 

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.At the expense of a better prospect?

 

I think it's a moot point now anyways. The market for Nolasco seems to be pretty big, especially for what he is. I think we'll get something good regardless.

 

 

 

He can technically take money saved here and use it at some point later for an extension or free agent. These decisions of course do not happen in a vacuum, which is why I think it's a mistake to judge his intentions based on one move. As a possibility -- not saying this is necessarily likely -- saving $5 million on Ricky (rather than saving nothing) could be an impetus toward offering Stanton an extension this offseason.

I find that unlikely. Either way, the benefit of a better prospect would probably outweigh the benefit of what would be likely less than a third of a year of Stanton's (hypothetical) extension - that is, of course, if Loria's goal is to win rather than save money.

You are assuming that a potential trade partner would rather part ways with a significantly better prospect and save the money. These aren't small market teams the Marlins are dealing with.

 

I think you might be also overestimating Nolasco's return. I think that I'd rather see the Marlins save the $6 million for spending later than eat it for what I would expect to be a only marginally better prospect. And, of course, most of these mid-tier prospects are far from sure things.

You are assuming that a potential trade partner would rather part ways with a significantly better prospect and save the money. These aren't small market teams the Marlins are dealing with.

 

I think you might be also overestimating Nolasco's return. I think that I'd rather see the Marlins save the $6 million for spending later than eat it for what I would expect to be a only marginally better prospect. And, of course, most of these mid-tier prospects are far from sure things.

 

You're assuming the Marlins will actually reinvest that money back into payroll, which is far from a sure thing. If absorbing the money will get us only a marginal improvement on our return, it's worth it to me because I feel like that money wouldn't be reinvested back into payroll in the future.

 

I think Nolasco will fetch us something decent. There's a market for him, and I feel like they'll overvalue him - especially if the suitors are all direct competitors, like they seem to be. I feel like we'll get a prospect rated anywhere from 5-10 on the team's top prospect list, especially if we trade with LA.

You are assuming that a potential trade partner would rather part ways with a significantly better prospect and save the money. These aren't small market teams the Marlins are dealing with.

 

I think you might be also overestimating Nolasco's return. I think that I'd rather see the Marlins save the $6 million for spending later than eat it for what I would expect to be a only marginally better prospect. And, of course, most of these mid-tier prospects are far from sure things.

 

You're assuming the Marlins will actually reinvest that money back into payroll, which is far from a sure thing. If absorbing the money will get us only a marginal improvement on our return, it's worth it to me because I feel like that money wouldn't be reinvested back into payroll in the future.

 

I think Nolasco will fetch us something decent. There's a market for him, and I feel like they'll overvalue him - especially if the suitors are all direct competitors, like they seem to be. I feel like we'll get a prospect rated anywhere from 5-10 on the team's top prospect list, especially if we trade with LA.

It'll come down to LA & San Fran. But according to GMs around the league, The consensus is San Fran having the edge. We'll get a mid-level prospect.

We could throw in one of our bullpen arms to sweeten the deal a little. I'm with Entendu, with so many teams interested I'll bet it's a top #5-10'ish player. Plenty of players on the LA or SF prospect lists that i'd welcome.

 

 

I actually have a feeling they'll try and ship out the bullpen arms separately to maximize their value.

 

As Nolasco's value seems to climb, though, it's looking more and more like a bidding war could net us a B prospect, at least...

Lol, based on trades in the past like josh willingham as a prime example...we will get crap back

 

 

Actually, that trade wasn't so bad... Especially considering Jake Smolinski should be in the major leagues shortly...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.