Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ozuna in CF

Featured Replies

I just meant that I like Ozuna in LF instead of CF for injury reasons. Plus he's obviously not going to play center in the long term so he should get reps in left.

 

 

I think the entire reason he's in CF right now is BECAUSE his future is in CF, barring a Giancarlo trade. If they projected to have Yelich as our CFer of the future, Ruggiano would absolutely be in CF and Ozuna would be in LF, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention because I thought Yelich was going to be our CFer.

 

 

Yea, when healthy Yelich was playing LF in Jacksonville and Marisnick was roaming CF. Now that Ozuna has moved to CF, looks pretty clear what they think the future OF looks like either later on this year or next year.

How is left field the hardest outfield position? I played all three a lot and it may have been the easiest, honestly.

 

 

Something about judging the angle of the ball off the bat or wind or Juan Pierre being really old or something.

How is left field the hardest outfield position? I played all three a lot and it may have been the easiest, honestly.

 

 

LF is the easiest of the 3 and is why we can put guys like lomo there who have no business being there to begin with. CF, RF, LF is the order

How is left field the hardest outfield position? I played all three a lot and it may have been the easiest, honestly.

 

LF is the easiest of the 3 and is why we can put guys like lomo there who have no business being there to begin with. CF, RF, LF is the orderI agree completely, idk why people say LF is most difficult.

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention because I thought Yelich was going to be our CFer.

 

 

Yea, when healthy Yelich was playing LF in Jacksonville and Marisnick was roaming CF. Now that Ozuna has moved to CF, looks pretty clear what they think the future OF looks like either later on this year or next year.

 

 

They were trying Yelich CF for some games even with Marisnick in the lineup. That was surprising to me.

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention because I thought Yelich was going to be our CFer.

 

 

Yea, when healthy Yelich was playing LF in Jacksonville and Marisnick was roaming CF. Now that Ozuna has moved to CF, looks pretty clear what they think the future OF looks like either later on this year or next year.

 

 

They were trying Yelich CF for some games even with Marisnick in the lineup. That was surprising to me.

 

 

 

 

Well, you have to make sure if the guy can or can't play the position. I think with the way everything is shaping, they probably just decided Ozuna>Yelich in CF and left it at that based on the circumstances.

 

And whoever said LF is the most difficult OF position is a tool. CF is far and away the most difficult.

I think Yelich was initially playing CF because before the Toronto deal they figured him to be the quickest (and best) outfield prospect to make it to the bigs, and CF was a glaring weakness. Ozuna wasn't supposed to get here this fast.

 

I also didn't realize Ozuna could play a good CF.

 

Anyway Marisnick's the #1 CF if he hits. Who knows what happens once they're all up, lots if options.

Anyway Marisnick's the #1 CF if he hits. Who knows what happens once they're all up, lots if options.

 

 

And its a good problem to have if they all work out like we're hoping they do.

Ozuna's defense has been absolutely terrific.

 

If Marisnick does not pan out, Ozuna is the future CF'er. He absolutely does have the range to play it. He rates as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game this year. For all the talk about his offense (which I think some people are too excited about), his defense is what's making him so valuable right now.

Yeah, I envision the OF would be Stanton (assuming he stays) in RF, Ozuna in CF, and Yelich in LF/1B.

 

The infield, however, is an absolute mess. The Marlins need to work on getting depth in that area. Drafting Moran was a decent start.

Ozuna's defense has been absolutely terrific.

 

If Marisnick does not pan out, Ozuna is the future CF'er. He absolutely does have the range to play it. He rates as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game this year. For all the talk about his offense (which I think some people are too excited about), his defense is what's making him so valuable right now.

 

 

what's not to be excited about his offense? He's made some serious strides in correcting his biggest issue which is plate discipline. He's 22 so there's reason to believe that will get even better. All indications look like he'll be a 20/20 guy with a solid OBP and great defense. That's pretty exciting IMO.

I don't really see where he's made strides in plate discipline. He's walking less than in the minors and K's at pretty much the same rate. I sort of expected that though... I didn't envision him as an on-base machine anyway and plus now he's in the majors before he probably should've been. That's not to knock him though, he looks just fine to me.

 

I think as long as the power comes (which I think is a good bet) he just needs to keep the Ks

Ozuna's defense has been absolutely terrific.

 

If Marisnick does not pan out, Ozuna is the future CF'er. He absolutely does have the range to play it. He rates as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game this year. For all the talk about his offense (which I think some people are too excited about), his defense is what's making him so valuable right now.

 

 

what's not to be excited about his offense? He's made some serious strides in correcting his biggest issue which is plate discipline. He's 22 so there's reason to believe that will get even better. All indications look like he'll be a 20/20 guy with a solid OBP and great defense. That's pretty exciting IMO.

 

 

Ozuna has also been extremely clutch this season (I don't know why no one ever talks about this). He's batting a .413 with RISP and slugs a .630. His "Clutch" stat metric on fangraphs is 2nd in majors, and his win probability, relative to the amount of plate appearances/opportunities given, is one of the highest in the majors.

 

Simply put, theres a lot to be happy about this young dude.

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

 

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

 

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

 

 

Ruggiano a better CF...why? Is it because he's _____? Thats the only thing I can think of, since Ozuna seems more than capable of manning CF, although I think his tools would be better utilized at RF.

Ozuna's defense has been absolutely terrific.

 

If Marisnick does not pan out, Ozuna is the future CF'er. He absolutely does have the range to play it. He rates as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game this year. For all the talk about his offense (which I think some people are too excited about), his defense is what's making him so valuable right now.

 

 

what's not to be excited about his offense? He's made some serious strides in correcting his biggest issue which is plate discipline. He's 22 so there's reason to believe that will get even better. All indications look like he'll be a 20/20 guy with a solid OBP and great defense. That's pretty exciting IMO.

 

 

He hasn't really made strides in his plate discipline. His success is currently dependent on an inflated .BABIP.

Ozuna's defense has been absolutely terrific.

 

If Marisnick does not pan out, Ozuna is the future CF'er. He absolutely does have the range to play it. He rates as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game this year. For all the talk about his offense (which I think some people are too excited about), his defense is what's making him so valuable right now.

 

 

what's not to be excited about his offense? He's made some serious strides in correcting his biggest issue which is plate discipline. He's 22 so there's reason to believe that will get even better. All indications look like he'll be a 20/20 guy with a solid OBP and great defense. That's pretty exciting IMO.

 

 

I think that Ozuna can become a good offensive player capable of hitting 20 HR, but that is purely based on scouting reports and his minor league numbers. His offensive performance in the majors does not indicate that to me at all. His lack of power in the majors does not indicate a 20/20 guy. His OBP is also BABIP driven--.372 OBP in May with a .420 BABIP and not many walks. Now that the BABIP has crashed down to earth (.300) in June, his OBP has fallen to .272.

 

I suppose his offensive performance is adequate for someone who was rushed to the big leagues, but overall what he's done has not left me excited.

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

 

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

 

 

It sounds like a pretty dumb idea to move Stanton away from his natural position for a guy who likely will not play a role in the team's future (Ruggiano). I also don't see the point in trying to maximize defensive efficiency in a season where the Marlins aren't in competition.

 

You gain nothing of value by moving Stanton to LF.

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

 

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

 

 

Ruggiano a better CF...why? Is it because he's _____? Thats the only thing I can think of, since Ozuna seems more than capable of manning CF, although I think his tools would be better utilized at RF.

 

 

 

So, in other words, you agree that Stanton should be in left.

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

 

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

 

 

It sounds like a pretty dumb idea to move Stanton away from his natural position for a guy who likely will not play a role in the team's future (Ruggiano). I also don't see the point in trying to maximize defensive efficiency in a season where the Marlins aren't in competition.

 

You gain nothing of value by moving Stanton to LF.

 

 

Well, you gain better defense and therefore a better opportunity to win games which is supposed to be the point.

 

Stanton is a so so outfielder and Ozuna is outstanding in right.

 

And Ruggiano is likely to be a Marlin longer than is Stanton.

The point is that Ruggiano is not going to be an outfielder for the team over the long term regardless of whether or not Stanton is traded. He's not an everyday outfielder on a good team. He probably shouldn't even be starting everyday for the Marlins, either.

 

I'm not even convinced that shifting the outfield positions will win you any more games considering that Stanton has little experience in left. Even if it does win you more games, that really doesn't matter because the Marlins aren't competing for anything. If wins don't mean much at this point, there is really no reason to move Stanton to another position.

 

It's a bad idea.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.