Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ozuna in CF

Featured Replies

I really like Ozuna, but I wonder with the large outfield dimensions of Marlins Park, if the long term plan is to move him to LF? Cogs/Rugg/Yelich could slide over to CF.

 

Just a defensive thought.

Not sure why he's there right now. Ruggiano is quite good in center field.

 

Ruggiano is actually top 5 defensively in CF this year. Regardless, ozuna is the future and Ruggiano isn't so that's why ozuna starts

ozuna is the future and Ruggiano isn't so that's why ozuna starts

 

 

What's the report on Yelich in CF ? I remember when we drafted him that some scouting reports said he might be better suited for 1B then any of the outfield spots. I think it was due to weak throwing arm? Can't remember for certain.

I don't think the plan for Yelich is CF moving forward, seems to look like it's LF. As of right now, I agree, if Ruggiano and Ozuna are in the same lineup Ruggs should be in CF but it's just not gonna happen if Ozuna is the future out there.

 

The only reason I could see Ozuna moving from CF is when Stanton is dealt and Marisnick starts roaming out there...

These are good problems to have.

 

Stanton-Ozuna-Marisnick-Yelich-Ruggiano-Coghlan. Pick any 4, the other 2 can play elsewhere or are trade-bait.

 

Marisnick, now day-to-day will probably be up before Yelich, who is on the DL. Coghlan doesn't need surgery, he'll probably be back 2-3 weeks from now -- supposedly just needs rest.

 

Hopefully, anyone they bring up or otherwise add to the 25-man will mean they finally cut Pierre loose. Enough wasted at-bats on a guy who even after his little "hot" streak is OPSing 50 points below his previous 12-year worst.

These are good problems to have.

 

Stanton-Ozuna-Marisnick-Yelich-Ruggiano-Coghlan. Pick any 4, the other 2 can play elsewhere or are trade-bait.

 

Marisnick, now day-to-day will probably be up before Yelich, who is on the DL. Coghlan doesn't need surgery, he'll probably be back 2-3 weeks from now -- supposedly just needs rest.

 

Hopefully, anyone they bring up or otherwise add to the 25-man will mean they finally cut Pierre loose. Enough wasted at-bats on a guy who even after his little "hot" streak is OPSing 50 points below his previous 12-year worst.

 

 

I didn't realize how much Marisnick had stepped it up lately, now hitting .289/.349/.881. That's an awesome sign considering the bat was his big question mark. I thought he was a September call up, MAYBE, but with these signs of life in his bat... He could be up soon. It will be fun watching him play CF in Marlins Park soon!

Unfortunately, Jake Marisnick is not playing at the moment due to a left hand injury after being hit with a pitch. This is the same hand that he suffered a fracture in spring training. Last I read was that X-rays said the initial report was "encouraging".

 

Yelich isn't back yet either from his abdominal strain, he was expected to miss 2 weeks and that was around 2 weeks ago. He tweeted three days ago that it felt to be back on a Baseball field so I assume he'll be playing again soon, he hasn't played since June 3rd.

I've been following Marisnick pretty closely since he got traded to the Marlins. He got very hot in June, but before that he was hitting around .250 or .260, and he still has 200 AB's in AA this year. He'll end this season with about a year's worth of AB's in AA despite playing there for parts of two years, and he struggled mightily to start. I'd call him up in September for a preview, but I hope we give him some more playing time in the minors next year.

The future outfield (or 2014) is going to be decided between Yelich/Marisnick/Stanton/Ozuna. Anybody who wants to put Coghlan or Ruggiano in there as a long term option need to reconsider.

 

I think it's all but guaranteed that Yelich and Stanton are both set to be starters long term as long as Yelich produces as expected and Stanton isn't traded, so the last long term spot in the lineup will be a battle between Marisnick and Ozuna. Ozuna's playing well during his short time in the majors, but I'm not sure if he's a long term starting caliber outfielder. Same question goes for Marisnick. Just let Marisnick/Ozuna fight for that last outfield spot over the next year and a half. Whoever performs the best over that span earns the spot.

 

If I were to guess, I'd say Yelich in LF, Ozuna in CF, and Stanton in RF will be the outfield in the long term. I feel the Marlins know they can keep Stanton for relatively cheap for many more years, and will milk every ounce of arbitration time they can get out of him before trading him or re-signing very close to when his contract is about to run up.

 

I've heard Yelich is an above average center fielder defensively, but we've seen the kind of arm Ozuna has. It also appears like the Marlins are already preparing Ozuna for CF long term, with Yelich eventually being the LFer. Marisnick's a natural CF, so once he gets a call up he'll definitely be playing CF.

Lots of outfield options, depending on their development the Marlins could use an outfield of LF-Ozuna, CF-Marisnick and RF-Stanton, put Yelich at 1B and get rid of LoMo. Also by the time Stanton gets too expensive maybe Solorzano, Copeland or Dean will have progressed well enough to become a replacement

Yelich has not proven a thing, other than a propensity to get hurt. He has promise but that is all.

 

He is hitting 154 against lefties in AA.

 

Left field is harder to play than CF or RF (assuming one has the arm to play CF/RF.) Marlins have no intention of playing Ozuna in Left, obviously. And Ozuna is the team's best RFer. Stanton won't be here more than a year and a half.

I'd just let Yelich and Marisnick finish up the AA season in Jax. Can we let any of our good prospects have a season of at-bats above A-ball please before rushing them up here?

 

 

Amen.

 

No hurry for either.

The future outfield (or 2014) is going to be decided between Yelich/Marisnick/Stanton/Ozuna. Anybody who wants to put Coghlan or Ruggiano in there as a long term option need to reconsider.

 

I think it's all but guaranteed that Yelich and Stanton are both set to be starters long term as long as Yelich produces as expected and Stanton isn't traded, so the last long term spot in the lineup will be a battle between Marisnick and Ozuna. Ozuna's playing well during his short time in the majors, but I'm not sure if he's a long term starting caliber outfielder. Same question goes for Marisnick. Just let Marisnick/Ozuna fight for that last outfield spot over the next year and a half. Whoever performs the best over that span earns the spot.

 

If I were to guess, I'd say Yelich in LF, Ozuna in CF, and Stanton in RF will be the outfield in the long term. I feel the Marlins know they can keep Stanton for relatively cheap for many more years, and will milk every ounce of arbitration time they can get out of him before trading him or re-signing very close to when his contract is about to run up.

 

I've heard Yelich is an above average center fielder defensively, but we've seen the kind of arm Ozuna has. It also appears like the Marlins are already preparing Ozuna for CF long term, with Yelich eventually being the LFer. Marisnick's a natural CF, so once he gets a call up he'll definitely be playing CF.

 

 

Is that a joke? Ozuna hit the ball at every single stop in the minor leagues and he hasn't looked over matched one bit in the majors. His only fault so far is consistency; he just seems to be very streaky, but whatever. Not to mention defensively he is showing as one of the best outfielders in baseball according to these numbers from canefandynasty:

 

40.2 UZR/150 (leads majors)

7.5 RngR (5th in majors among OF)

4.8 Arm (3rd in majors)

 

Ruggiano is certainly going to be traded in July, and Coghlan's future is going to be determined by where he's needed at that moment, so I don't consider them factors in the outfield. I agree that Marisnick is the natural CFer in our future, but he ain't gonna be knocking Ozuna out of the lineup any time soon, and he ain't gonna be playing over Yelich, either. The only way this OF will have him involved in 2014 is if Stanton is dealt, which I don't think is going to happen soon. Marisnick may get a cup of coffee in September with Yelich, but I still think he's in the minors next year. Now, Stanton could be dealt next summer if Marisnick shows consistency again with the bat next year.

Ruggs in CF, Ozuna in LF. At least for as long as Ruggs is here.

 

 

Does it really matter? Both have showed they're more than capable of manning the outfield.

Ruggs in CF, Ozuna in LF. At least for as long as Ruggs is here.

 

 

Does it really matter? Both have showed they're more than capable of manning the outfield.

 

 

I mean, I agree that while they're both in the same lineup that's how it SHOULD be... But I also understand that if they are going to have Ozuna out there permanently, he needs to be out there full time from now on. So no, it doesn't really matter.

I just meant that I like Ozuna in LF instead of CF for injury reasons. Plus he's obviously not going to play center in the long term so he should get reps in left.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.