Ozuna has torn ligament in thumb... going to DL not AA

Juan C. Rodriguez �@JCRMarlinsbeat 5m

Some #Marlins players hearing Ozuna has a torn ligament in left thumb. Likely headed to MLB DL, not AA Jax.

Funny how life works. Marisnick probably would have gotten the call, anyway.

I hope Ozuna gets healthy quickly. Sucks for the Marlins, he will probably become a Super 2 and will be collecting a big league paycheck.

Well now thats fucking great. Ozuna's hands have taken a beating this year.

Really sucks because I am sure he would have found his stroke again.

I like how Solano is hitting but I think it is very clear that Dietrich is the second basemen. He should great power, that he could hit lefties, gap power to the opposite field, and played very solid defense. Just has to get a little more polish on the zone and reduce the strikeouts and hell be fine.

Solano should make a nice utility player.

Too bad he didn't get on the minor league DL.

The Marlins made a huge mistake in rushing him.

He got injured in a Major League game.

Why would you want to see Ozuna get screwed out of his rightful salary?

I asked the question because it seems like the Marlins were going to demote him regardless of the injury. I also wouldn't call it his "rightful salary" since he has not been playing well enough since June 1st in my opinion to deserve super-2 compensation.

super-2 is contingent on playing well?

Indirectly in the sense that smart teams usually try to avoid it when players aren't performing well enough. In other words, Ozuna shouldn't have been called up in the first place (because he wasn't ready) and should have been sent down weeks ago (because he wasn't performing).

He's only getting super-2 status because the Marlins are too dumb to manage their personnel properly.

Looking back at things, while I was excited for Ozuna and happy to see him produce at first ... what really was the thinking? "He was the healthiest" was their reasoning. Realistically, though, why wasn't someone from AAA an option? Someone who had been in the Majors already? The now-traded Gorkys Hernandez could have played in the outfield for a month, Petersen could have come back up, all sorts of possibilities.

Mute point now, though. And I better not get a response of, "we brought up Ozuna cause he was our best chance to win," because we won just 11 games with him out there before Stanton and Morrison returned (and 7 of those came against the Mets), a span of 36 or 37 games.

Ah well, I have confidence Ozuna will return from injury next year, do well in AA, and hopefully the Marlins will make a smart decision on who to send packing when it's his time to return.

Ozuna was hitting 260 something, hit well with RISP, played a pretty good CF and a terrific RF and had two hits in the game he messed up his thumb on an outstanding catch.

Those who believe Marisnick is a better player, in the minors or in the majors, now or later, needs help.

Ozuna was hitting 260 something, hit well with RISP, played a pretty good CF and a terrific RF and had two hits in the game he messed up his thumb on an outstanding catch.

Those who believe Marisnick is a better player, in the minors or in the majors, now or later, needs help.

Marisnick has the potential to be a significantly better player than Ozuna.

I can't believe how many people on here place so much stock on a player's first season. Some players come in hot and get figured out after a while, so I don't understand why we're making all of these lofty claims about Ozuna.

no argument there, and I know performance isn't tied - just giving you a hard time. It was their decision to call him up so they get the risk that comes with it.

I knew what you were trying to say. I'm more or less insinuating that a competent baseball team doesn't let him get super-2 because he didn't play well enough to deserve it. "Deserve" means, of course, he had no business being on the roster that long in this stage of his career.