Mark Reynolds...

pollythewog

lol

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins have had internal discussions about signing Mark Reynolds.

Reynolds was released by the Indians on Monday after batting just .133/.246/.150 since the beginning of July. Frisaro writes that the Marlins' interest in Reynolds dates back to the offseason, but he's probably better suited for an American League team. Aug 13 - 1:41 PM

Pointless.

He has a better OPS than 5/8s of the Marlins current lineup.

A sparkling .680.Correct. He is a HAIR better offensively and a HUGE downgrade defensively. Rendering his potential acquisition pointless. All he would to is take ab's and playing time from other players we could be evaluating.

Out since June 9 with a right calf nerve irritation, Chris Coghlan on Wednesday will begin a rehab assignment at Class-A Jupiter. He is set to play five innings at third.

Before he went on the disabled list, Coghlan was set to begin working at third. He hasn't played there with any regularity since 2009 in the minors. The Marlins moved him to the outfield to accommodate his bat in majors.

"We'll start his progression and see how he does," manager Mike Redmond said. "We talked about it as an organization and tried to figure out not only where he would fit, but where he could get the playing time. Obviously with young kids…that's a pretty crowded outfield. We've got to try to figure out a spot for him where we can get him some at-bats and you never know. Maybe third base is the key.

"I like what he does offensively. I like what he brought to the team before he got hurt, so we'll see. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and we'll get him up here and see what he can do."

Pointless.

He has a better OPS than 5/8s of the Marlins current lineup.

A sparkling .680.Correct. He is a HAIR better offensively and a HUGE downgrade defensively. Rendering his potential acquisition pointless. All he would to is take ab's and playing time from other players we could be evaluating.

Oh I totally agree it would be pointless, I just thought that was a humorous stat.

My main issue with Coghlan isn't so much his erratic numbers, but the fact that he hasn't had a full healthy season since 2009.

Doesn't he hit arbitration after this season? Not sure what their thinking is with him. I can't see him putting up strong numbers this late in the season, his numbers have started off poor ever year (including 2009) in the majors. Small sample sizes don't shine a good light on him.

My main issue with Coghlan isn't so much his erratic numbers, but the fact that he hasn't had a full healthy season since 2009.

Doesn't he hit arbitration after this season? Not sure what their thinking is with him. I can't see him putting up strong numbers this late in the season, his numbers have started off poor ever year (including 2009) in the majors. Small sample sizes don't shine a good light on him.

Coghlan has certainly been erratic, but he hit well the last month before he got hurt and I feel he's the kind of guy (like a Nate McClouth or Ryan Raburn) that could randomly just rebound. I'm not talking to his ROY of the season or what Raburn is doing now, but a plain and simple .275/.325/.425 type slash. That's enough at 3B if he plays passable defense. Considering he has 3 years of control left and they will need a stopgap at 3B for 2 seasons while Moran plays through A/AA, it is in their best interest to see if they can develop an asset. I will be disappointed if Coghlan doesn't end the year with 25 starts at 3B in September. Reynolds does nothing for this team this year in a starting capacity.

He does hit arbitration, but the likelihood of Coghlan receiving his arbitration tender on the open market on a 1 year deal (he's probably getting a minor league deal unless he has an awesome awesome September) is low. The Marlins can lowball him around maybe $1.5 million and he probably has to take it if the alternative is being released and having to fight for a camp spot. Win-win for both of them. Likewise, if the Marlins let him know it's his job to lose at 3B, that is the best playing time situation he is going to find and even more added incentive. Of course, this is all assuming he looks passable at 3B in September if they actually let him play.

I'd have no problem with this basically for next season

C - New Catcher (Mathis)

1B - Morrison

2B - Dietrich (Solano, Lucas/Other 25th Man Type)

SS - Hechavarria

3B - Coghlan (Veteran Backup 3B/1B)

LF - Yelich

CF - Marisnick/Ozuna (Ruggiano)

RF - Stantion

You have a lot of flexibility at 2B/3B and let the '5' of them battle for playing time. Maybe Reynolds is that '3B/1B' but you don't acquire him now to sit on the bench, and I would still be hesitant as this is all about developing the pitchers so I suspect you want not the worst defender in MLB out there.

i think we can contend next year if we make the right moves offensively. As we are now, we will not come close to contending with this offense. Every cycle we go through where we overhaul and rebuild with prospects we do this thing where we list the positions and say it all looks good and dandy on paper, but the great teams build through great pitching through the draft and then make a trade for an offensive piece or two on top of the prospects they are building with.

In order for this team to be a contender we need two more starting offensive bats for next season that fill 2 out of the following 3 positions: C, 1b, 3b. We will not win with Lomo being our 2nd best offensive player, a giant gaping hole at catcher for pretty much the 10th straight year, and 3b being a blackhole every year since Mike Lowell left. We need a deeper lineup and with that we can definitely compete with our young pitching.

3b being a blackhole every year since Mike Lowell left.

Miguel Cabrera and Jorge Cantu say hey.

True. I honestly forgot Miguel was here for those 2 years following Lowell but Jorge Cantu was a nice player but was just a stopgap who put up nice power numbers for a year or 2 but was a black hole defensively.

Coghlan has certainly been erratic, but he hit well the last month before he got hurt and I feel he's the kind of guy (like a Nate McClouth or Ryan Raburn) that could randomly just rebound. I'm not talking to his ROY of the season or what Raburn is doing now, but a plain and simple .275/.325/.425 type slash. That's enough at 3B if he plays passable defense. Considering he has 3 years of control left and they will need a stopgap at 3B for 2 seasons while Moran plays through A/AA, it is in their best interest to see if they can develop an asset. I will be disappointed if Coghlan doesn't end the year with 25 starts at 3B in September. Reynolds does nothing for this team this year in a starting capacity.

He does hit arbitration, but the likelihood of Coghlan receiving his arbitration tender on the open market on a 1 year deal (he's probably getting a minor league deal unless he has an awesome awesome September) is low. The Marlins can lowball him around maybe $1.5 million and he probably has to take it if the alternative is being released and having to fight for a camp spot. Win-win for both of them. Likewise, if the Marlins let him know it's his job to lose at 3B, that is the best playing time situation he is going to find and even more added incentive. Of course, this is all assuming he looks passable at 3B in September if they actually let him play.

I'd have no problem with this basically for next season

C - New Catcher (Mathis)

1B - Morrison

2B - Dietrich (Solano, Lucas/Other 25th Man Type)

SS - Hechavarria

3B - Coghlan (Veteran Backup 3B/1B)

LF - Yelich

CF - Marisnick/Ozuna (Ruggiano)

RF - Stantion

You have a lot of flexibility at 2B/3B and let the '5' of them battle for playing time. Maybe Reynolds is that '3B/1B' but you don't acquire him now to sit on the bench, and I would still be hesitant as this is all about developing the pitchers so I suspect you want not the worst defender in MLB out there.

I would be excited to see Coghs get that opportunity. Outside of Zack Cox, he is literally the only option at third base that could make any sense moving into 2014. If he can be at all serviceable on the defensive end, having his bat at 3B could be a big pick up for us.

At least it's nice to see the FO and management acknowledge that there is a problem and they're working on a solution. I would really like to see Coghs and Cox get some starts and some ab's over the final weeks...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.