Cogs rehabbing at 3b

I mean why not? Is there an internal solution that works better than cogs?

No. There is an organizational black hole until you get to Moran and there is absolutely nothing in free agency next year with guys who will sign with the Marlins (think Juan Uribe types).

They kind of really need Coghlan to work out to bridge the gap to Moran. The other idea would be to acquire a longterm 2B (somehow) and let Dietrich, Solano, and friends play 3B and see where the chips fall in 2 years.

Zack Cox is I guess another option but he's pretty limited defensively over there. Neither offers much power.

They're actually very similar players, the difference being Coghs has done it in the majors and Cox has not.

On that note, a Coghs/Lucas platoon or a Cox/Lucas platoon would suffice just fine IMO.

Coghs vs RHP this year: .275/.322/.404/.726

Cox vs RHP this year: .318/.410/.460/.870

Lucas vs LHP this year: .311/.358/.475/.833

I could look forward to that...

I think people need to get over Zack Cox. The guy is not an intriguing prospect by any means. That turned out to be a terrible trade.

That's not a really impressive slash line against RHP?

He's a 24-year old in AA, repeating the level.

A .142 .ISO against RHP probably translates to less power in the big leagues, which is not interesting at all.

Basically, the only reason for excitement is the .410 .OBP. It's dependent on a .355 .BABIP and a 12.3 BB%. The 12.3 BB% is actually not all that exciting to me considering his overall track record which indicates that he doesn't draw many walks. It's very similar to what Brantly did last year in his limited time in the big leagues. And again, he's repeating the level...and he's old for the level.

Another red flag would be that Cox is still striking out a lot for a guy with little power.

That's limited upside offensively for a guy who's potential as a prospect was largely dependent on how good he was as a hitter. A one-dimensional player who's dimension is not all that promising does not excite me.

I think people need to get over Zack Cox. The guy is not an intriguing prospect by any means. That turned out to be a terrible trade.

A .142 .ISO against RHP probably translates to less power in the big leagues, which is not interesting at all.

Basically, the only reason for excitement is the .410 .OBP. It's dependent on a .355 .BABIP and a 12.3 BB%. The 12.3 BB% is actually not all that exciting to me considering his overall track record which indicates that he doesn't draw many walks. It's very similar to what Brantly did last year in his limited time in the big leagues. And again, he's repeating the level...and he's old for the level.

Another red flag would be that Cox is still striking out a lot for a guy with little power.

That's limited upside offensively for a guy who's potential as a prospect was largely dependent on how good he was as a hitter. A one-dimensional player who's dimension is not all that promising does not excite me.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I am hoping he is not the future at 3B for Marlins baseball... But my only question was if that slash line was impressive, which it is.

He could be a useful platoon guy for a year or two is all I'm saying. If he can hit .280/.350/.350/.700 against RHP he would be a serviceable #2 hitter. My hope is that it never comes to that and Coghlan takes the job...

But my only question was if that slash line was impressive, which it is.

Put into context, it is not.

But my only question was if that slash line was impressive, which it is.

Put into context, it is not.

Put into actual statistics, it is.

If you care about how a 24-year-old does repeating the AA level, yes it is great.

If you care about how that translates to the big league level, it is not.

He's basically the younger version of Greg Dobbs. Similar statistics and less professionalism of course.

I think people need to get over Zack Cox.

That would be true if anyone was nuts about the guy, which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

People aren't crazy over him, but the viability of him actually being a starter (even a good platoon player) seems to pop up here a lot more than it should.

That would be true if anyone was nuts about the guy, which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

People aren't crazy over him, but the viability of him actually being a starter (even a good platoon player) seems to pop up here a lot more than it should.

I agree. People don't need to go nuts over Cox to be overrating him. It was clear from the day that the Marlins acquired him that Cox wasn't likely to be a starter in the big leagues, but that hasn't stopped his name being mentioned a lot in that capacity. Didn't someone even start a thread here a couple of weeks ago asking for Cox to be called up?

Fans often overrate prospects of their own team, I guess. I've been hearing Jake Smolinski's name recently a lot more than I should.

Well that has a tendency to happen when your major league team is full of .600 OPS players. Probably every player in three levels of minor leagues has been mentioned at some point this season.