8/23 Post Game

Michael

Well at least Adeiny is pretty good at call of duty (he's posted instagrams of his scores before)

Maybe that's what David Samson meant when he said that Hechavarria would be a perennial all-star.

Ummm, didn't get to watch the game (business meeting), so can someone please explain to me what happened? Particularly w/ Hech?

Nothing new, really.

We lost and Hech is still bad at baseball. He didn't really do anything to lose the game, but he's still pretty bad.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,a

I'm going to give Izturis and Konerko the benefit of the doubt (especially Konerko) since they've actually proven to be better throughout their careers than what they've done this year.

Adeiny Hechavarria is the worst player in baseball (at least every day player).

remarkable that at the moment he even grades out lower defensively than Hanley, who we decided shouldn't even play the position.

Shoulda stuck with Escobar.

The only worst defensive SS this year been Asdrubal. Stats aren't really important to the FO though

but... but.... Rich and Tommy say he's special and we're really lucky to get to watch him play!!

remarkable that at the moment he even grades out lower defensively than Hanley, who we decided shouldn't even play the position.

The only worst defensive SS this year been Asdrubal. Stats aren't really important to the FO though

Another guy that makes a ton of flashy plays.

It's weird, really. Maybe the fact that they don't range well or something makes it to where they can make the "spectacular" plays that would be routine grounders for the above average fielders.

It's weird, really. Maybe the fact that they don't range well or something makes it to where they can make the "spectacular" plays that would be routine grounders for the above average fielders.

I don't think he really makes spectacular plays though???

He's made quite a few this year, specifically in the Milwaukee series that we got swept in ...

He's made quite a few this year, specifically in the Milwaukee series that we got swept in ...

Good article on this in Sunday's PBP. According to that, only in the last 2 1/2 weeks or so has his glove been missing, nearly doubling his year's error total. He went into August among the defensive leaders for shortstops. Cookie Rojas thinks he is fatigued. I think I'll go along with that (along with high praise defensively from Don Mattingly and Perry Hill) instead of the "what have you done for me lately" faction. Going into the season we all knew his bat wasn't ready. I would agree with anyone that says that needs work.

Good article on this in Sunday's PBP. According to that, only in the last 2 1/2 weeks or so has his glove been missing, nearly doubling his year's error total. He went into August among the defensive leaders for shortstops. Cookie Rojas thinks he is fatigued. I think I'll go along with that (along with high praise defensively from Don Mattingly and Perry Hill) instead of the "what have you done for me lately" faction. Going into the season we all knew his bat wasn't ready. I would agree with anyone that says that needs work.

Errors are only one way to judge a player's defense.

And probably one of the lower forms of defensive judgment.

Remember in 2003, Juan Encarnacion made 0 errors in right field? He had slightly above average numbers in the range factor department, but overall he was a negative defender. I'm still not totally sold on defensive metrics, but they are telling, and like someone said in another thread some time back, maybe the negative ratings on Hech weren't so inaccurate after all.

His UZR/150 (Hech) is listed as -10.9 ... last year at short, in a much smaller sample size but of course, being an x/150 stat, it's extrapolated, was -10.9. So, he's consistent, at least?

It you don't take chances, I'm sure you won't get errors.

I have a feeling his risk taking is hurting his defensive stats.

Dives he doesn't get cleanly, throws trying to beat the runner and going wide are all going to hurt. In other words, could he be trying to do too much?

It you don't take chances, I'm sure you won't get errors.

I have a feeling his risk taking is hurting his defensive stats.

Dives he doesn't get cleanly, throws trying to beat the runner and going wide are all going to hurt. In other words, could he be trying to do too much?

That's not true at all in Hechavarria's case from what I've seen. His errors are typically assigned to more routine plays. The errors this past month clearly would have been avoided by most infielders.

There's no excuses.

Errors aren't Hechavarria's problem. These complaints did not start over the past two weeks, although they've grown larger over the past two weeks. However, anyone who thinks we're just complaining because of two weeks is being a BroncoBob.

Hechavarria's problem isn't that he's trying to do too much on routine plays. Hechavarria's problem is that he grades poorly with his range or lack thereof. The only reason why people think he's great defensively is because he's flashy on routine plays.

He has had a terrible year, but let's all give him a golf clap for his RBI 3B the other night. It'll at least make BroncoBob feel better about it.

If you dive to get a ball and don't get it cleanly, it's not an error because it's not a "routine effort," or something like that.

He rarely throws wide to first. It's just been the actual glove. Lots of routine plays, like penguino said, that he just botches the hell out of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.