Beinfest, Fleming fired

gizmo

Carlos Ruiz won't come here, either.

If we could get Saltalamacchia, that'd be cool.

Why wouldn't Ruiz come here?

I don't see Philly letting him go, plus Ruben Amaro, Jr. is a dumbass and will probably sign him to a six year deal worth $50,000,000. [Exaggeration]

I don't think they have anyone else they can bring up to catch, unless they think Kratz can take over the starting role, or if they think Tommy Joseph is ready [which he's not].

Carlos Ruiz won't come here, either.

If we could get Saltalamacchia, that'd be cool.

Why wouldn't Ruiz come here?

I don't see Philly letting him go, plus Ruben Amaro, Jr. is a dumbass and will probably sign him to a six year deal worth $50,000,000. [Exaggeration]

I don't think they have anyone else they can bring up to catch, unless they think Kratz can take over the starting role, or if they think Tommy Joseph is ready [which he's not].

Well, yea, Amaro is odd. We'll see how he handles Ruiz. But if he's available, I think he could come here. He would be a decent signing.

Carlos Ruiz will be 35 y/o by start of next season, Mathis had as many HRs and almost just as many RBIs in almost 100 less at bats

Peña is a 32 y/o career backup catcher

I like Saltalamacchia but I highly doubt he will leave the Red Sox to play for the Marlins...Anyone like to take that bet?

Ruiz and Pena are still much better than what we have, would sign short term deals, and are very signable. That's what makes them realistic targets.

Salty has no reason to leave Boston, and Boston has no reason not to lock him up. BUT, and this is a HUGE but, I would think our chances between McCann or Salty are much better with Salty. I think we all know players will go with whoever offers the most money, no matter what, 90% of the time. But the Braves were really loyal to McCann, picking up that huge option coming off of that surgery, and I am pretty sure he would never sign here anyway being a lifetime Brave. Salty, on the other hand, was born and raised in South Florida and might love the idea of building a winner in his hometown...

I wouldn't mind Geovany Soto. He's not doing good this year, so he'd come cheap. He had some good seasons in Chicago [RotY in 2008, .890 OPS in 2010], and his defense isn't too bad. It'd be better than Mathis. Sign him on a one year deal [he also has postseason experience, just saying]. A one year deal with an option for 2015.

Not saying he'd turn it around here, but, why not? He's probably the best REALISTIC option of that group.

Just sign McCann, I see no reason he won't sign here if we offer a fair deal so let's get it done.

What if he wants a 5 year deal, or longer? You would be comfortable signing him at that length?

Let's see what he wants and what the market dictates. He can want anything but if nobody is offering it, that won't matter.

How about we spend some real money and sign a real catcher? These guys being mentioned are terrible. You can tell we're Marlins fans. :(

The options aren't that bad. Low risk, high reward signings on guys who had previous success.

Who did you have in mind?

Not Geovany Soto.

And, steroid year aside, Carlos Ruiz is a rather mediocre hitter.

How about we spend some real money and sign a real catcher? These guys being mentioned are terrible. You can tell we're Marlins fans. :(

The options aren't that bad. Low risk, high reward signings on guys who had previous success.

Not Geovany Soto.

And, steroid year aside, Carlos Ruiz is a rather mediocre hitter.

Yes, I know Ruiz's numbers.

Just sign McCann, I see no reason he won't sign here if we offer a fair deal so let's get it done.

What if he wants a 5 year deal, or longer? You would be comfortable signing him at that length?

McCann will get a 5/70 offer from some team but it won't be from us.

I would be fine with 5/70...

For Salty.

What if he wants a 5 year deal, or longer? You would be comfortable signing him at that length?McCann will get a 5/70 offer from some team but it won't be from us.

For Salty.

Wow. Please tell me you're joking.

What if he wants a 5 year deal, or longer? You would be comfortable signing him at that length?McCann will get a 5/70 offer from some team but it won't be from us.

For Salty.

Wow. Please tell me you're joking.

Joking about the numbers.

Not joking about Salty.