Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs

Admin

Don't kid yourselves. The caveat of this whole deal that it is a backloaded contract. This doesn't give me one iota of confidence with this ownership. Stupidity like this doesn't help Public Relations one bit. Why? In essence, if we read between the lines, the deal breaks down into $6/$7/$8 million respectively.

If we follow the pattern of the last couple of free agent signings, Salty won't be here to even smell that $8 million. At least we can pretty much guarantee that someone else will be footing the back end of that bill. Some things never change. It is so much easier to root for the Rays. C'mon people. This is the MARLINS we are talking about. Grab something to hold on to because within the next year to year and a half, the rug will once again be pulled out from under us.

Holy cow, this is some stupid shit.

Stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. :confused:

Stupid is quoting the same exact post more than one time.

Maybe the Marlins will be smarter than all of us. Sure, they tanked last season, but they added a lot of prospects and it's not like the Jays won anything. Maybe they will spend some jack and get more hitters like Salty. I hear that 3B is the next spot to try to improve at. We shall see what they do.

When is the last time the Marlins signed a free agent to a 3+ year deal and the player rode out the entire contract?

Does Wes Helms count? :)

He never signed more than a 1 year deal at a time, right?

I believe uncle Wes signed a 2 year deal.

Either way, that's still not 3+ years.

Anyone that has a problem with this signing should be forced to watch video of every game last year and watch Rob Brantly and Jeff Mathis play.

BTW you are aware that Salty and Mathis strikeout at about the same rate?Are you aware that if Saltalamacchia OPSed .650 in 2014, it would be 115 points higher than Mathis in 2013?

Anyone that has a problem with this signing should be forced to watch video of every game last year and watch Rob Brantly and Jeff Mathis play.

BTW you are aware that Salty and Mathis strikeout at about the same rate?

Are you aware that Mathis has a career batting average of .195, with a weak ass OPS of .565? That is over 570 major league games and 1,644 at bats. They have nothing in common.

According to the Herald (based on some report out of Boston) the Sox offered him 2/18 with incentives. If true, it looks like the home-town factor was a pretty big chunk of his equation as Boston was willing to pay him 86+% in 2 years of what we will pay him in 3. In fact, over the first 2 years, we'll pay him just 13 mill vs 18.

MA state income tax would have taken about 2.6% (they'd tax his home game income at 5.25%) more of that than would FL, so 86+% turns into 83.4+%, but that's still a huge fraction of our 3 year contract.

And to think that some said no FA would ever sign here, never mind at a significant discount to market rates.

BTW you are aware that Salty and Mathis strikeout at about the same rate?

Are you aware that Mathis has a career batting average of .195, with a weak ass OPS of .565? That is over 570 major league games and 1,644 at bats. They have nothing in common.Did I say they OPSed at the same rate? I said they strikeout at the same rate people tend to ignore that until the season starts and you will see the postings all about the strikeouts like he never ever struck out before... I am saying it now

SALTY WILL STRIKEOUT ALOT

He has 156 more K than he does hits in his MLB career

People strike out. It happens. Get over it.

If Salty hit at the rate he strikes out he would be a perennial all star and in a few years would be a HOF candidate

This is a really, really terrible argument. I think SomethingFishy could have rebutted this properly while Old Timer posted a picture of Admin Beinfest.