4/30 Post Game

Yea I don't remember Eovoldi even throwing a slider much at all before this year, it was usually the big curve. The slider is so much more effective for him because the velocity on it stays in the high 80's, fooling batters as a fastball until it dives away to righties or in to lefties. The curve just becomes a back pocket get me over pitch. That slider has made all the difference.

The slider was still his 2nd highest thrown pitch last year at 18.6% with the curve thrown 9.6% last year (6.5% this year), but he's definitely relying less on the fastball which is great. Also, lets not forget Eovladi was pretty good last year too guys so it's not like him being better came out of nowhere. Still a long season to go of course.

The slider was still his 2nd highest thrown pitch last year at 18.6% with the curve thrown 9.6% last year (6.5% this year), but he's definitely relying less on the fastball which is great. Also, lets not forget Eovladi was pretty good last year too guys so it's not like him being better came out of nowhere. Still a long season to go of course.

I probably didn't pay as much attention last year, you know, cause we blew. But it's nice to see the curve become what it should be, just a get me over strike, and the slider become a real swing and miss pitch. He looks really good this year, just as we hoped.

Eh. Eovaldi is throwing his slider at a career high % (24.2) and he's throwing it effectively. That's the difference for him right now and why he's getting a lot more ks and a lot more ground ball outs. It's pretty obvious he's really worked on that pitch and it's paying off handsomely. Unlike most of the braves pitchers, Eovaldi's peripherals are extremely sound and I see no reason why he won't continue his numbers throughout the year The dude is still only 24 and he's still evolving as pitcher, but I think he's certainly on the right track and could really be a key cog in the marlins rotation

Fair points. If he's the No. 4 starter behind Jose, Rodon and Heaney we're good. Real good.

Eh. Eovaldi is throwing his slider at a career high % (24.2) and he's throwing it effectively. That's the difference for him right now and why he's getting a lot more ks and a lot more ground ball outs. It's pretty obvious he's really worked on that pitch and it's paying off handsomely. Unlike most of the braves pitchers, Eovaldi's peripherals are extremely sound and I see no reason why he won't continue his numbers throughout the year The dude is still only 24 and he's still evolving as pitcher, but I think he's certainly on the right track and could really be a key cog in the marlins rotation

Eovalving?

Guys?

I dont think he is the BPA. No scouting report has him as that much better than any prep arm if he comes across as better at all and he has the added disvantage of being one of the most poorly handled college pitchers in recent memory. The risk with Rodon greatly outweights the reward.

I guess a better way to say it is its alot of money to guarantee to a guy who stuff wise appears to be pretty similar to other top pitchers in the class but on the negative side is almost guaranteed to have major arm and shoulder issues because his college coach is a moron.

This is a DOWN season for Rodon, and he has a 2.06 ERA in one of the toughest conferences in college baseball.

He might not be the biggest sure thing since Strasburg when the season started, but he's still the 1st or 2nd best player in this draft. The consensus is that the top 3 players are Rodon/Aiken/Kolek in whatever order you choose. I'm on board with taking Rodon or Kolek, since Kolek is similar to Jonathan Gray who was drafted 3rd overall last year (can throw 100 mph with ease, think of him as old school Josh Beckett), and Rodon is a little Tom Glavine esque. Aiken came a little out of nowhere to become essentially the front runner to be the 1st overall pick.

If we get Rodon, I'm doing backflips because he's a great pitcher whose only real issues are overuse. If we get Aiken, it's great because he's a lefty with mass potential and has proven ability. If we get Kolek, it's awesome because I personally view him as the best high school arm period.

It's a really nice year to have a top 2 pick. The 'Stros may very likely take Aiken, and this class features three players (Rodon/Kolek/Aiken) who are head and shoulders above the rest right now, with Hoffman very close behind.

I feel like Rodon will fall to us. He's going to cost a s***load of money, and I feel the Astros are one of these teams that would prefer to save up slot money for later rounds - especially now that Rodon isn't a slam dunk anymore.

It's not going to cost us a fortune if Rodon falls. Mark Appel, a Scott Boras client, went first overall to the Astros last year and took under slot value to sign. We also have the largest allotment of money to sign draft picks.

So in essence, we'll do just fine signing players this draft.