4/30 Post Game

Michael

Eovaldi is definitely becoming a legit 2/3

He's been such a pleasant surprise. In 2012 a lot of us thought he was destined for the bullpen, he comes back in 2013 with a faster fastball and improved pitches and now he's a legit candidate for #2 starter. It's absolutely impressive.

This team is the most fun Marlins team I can remember since 2008. I feel the hitting to a certain extent is legit, and the pitching is starting to perform to the level (and in many ways surpassed) the level that we expected at the start of the season. If our bullpen can correct itself (and all indications are that it is possible of happening), we could be a wild card competitor. Not saying we should all be screaming playoffs right now and booking our postseason tickets, but this team finally has major league caliber talent.

It also helps that a guy like Marcell Ozuna is still playing over his head to start a season once again.

I don't know. He's locating fastball well, but the secondary stuff isn't impressive. What happens when he loses a few mph?

I actually thought his slider was nasty tonight. It almost touches 90 and keeps hitters off balance. Plus that curve around 80 he can drop in here and there... All with location. He's looked legit.

The way we win many of our wins I really think we are much closer to serious contenders than people think. Maybe not yet but it could happen really fast, really soon. I think that's as reasonably positive as we can be without blindly screaming we're a playoff tean already.

I agree and I love the optimism. The key is health. If this team can stay healthy, and they can smooth out those little defensive bumps, this can be a surprising team. They've continued to hit... That's going to be key.

I don't know. He's locating fastball well, but the secondary stuff isn't impressive. What happens when he loses a few mph?

Eh. Eovaldi is throwing his slider at a career high % (24.2) and he's throwing it effectively. That's the difference for him right now and why he's getting a lot more ks and a lot more ground ball outs. It's pretty obvious he's really worked on that pitch and it's paying off handsomely. Unlike most of the braves pitchers, Eovaldi's peripherals are extremely sound and I see no reason why he won't continue his numbers throughout the year The dude is still only 24 and he's still evolving as pitcher, but I think he's certainly on the right track and could really be a key cog in the marlins rotation

Eh. Eovaldi is throwing his slider at a career high % (24.2) and he's throwing it effectively. That's the difference for him right now and why he's getting a lot more ks and a lot more ground ball outs. It's pretty obvious he's really worked on that pitch and it's paying off handsomely. Unlike most of the braves pitchers, Eovaldi's peripherals are extremely sound and I see no reason why he won't continue his numbers throughout the year The dude is still only 24 and he's still evolving as pitcher, but I think he's certainly on the right track and could really be a key cog in the marlins rotation

Yea I don't remember Eovoldi even throwing a slider much at all before this year, it was usually the big curve. The slider is so much more effective for him because the velocity on it stays in the high 80's, fooling batters as a fastball until it dives away to righties or in to lefties. The curve just becomes a back pocket get me over pitch. That slider has made all the difference.