June 24, 201412 yr BTW WC is right in what he is saying... Who is to say if Alvarez and McGehee were to switch jerseys If McGehee would not be the one with almost 100 TC more, besides maybe Henderson Alvarez do the Marlins have any other groundball pitchers like Hopper use to be... Before it opens a can of worm I don't know and I don't care if that is the reason for the discrepancy in chances, there lies the possibility of the confounding factor statistically speaking
June 24, 201412 yr One thing I will say is that, unless I'm mistaken, stats like UZR in most cases do not adjust for positioning. This basically means that a low UZR figure could possibly be a sign of a player's poor positioning and not necessarily his lack of quickness or whatever. McGehee's range figures are so terrible, that I'm inclined to think that bad positioning is a major part of this. Remember that this question came up with regard to Hechavarria after last season. This leads me to think...do the Marlins just flat out suck at positioning their infielders? Right now, it sounds very likely. If so, who is to blame? Perry Hill, Mike Redmond, or both?
June 24, 201412 yr In other words, you cannot interpret the discrepancy between McGehee's and Alvarez's UZR figures on the basis of them standing at the same positions on the diamond for each play and one of them getting to more balls.
June 24, 201412 yr I think Casey Mcghee should be the first choice of Marlins all Star, to be honest, Stanton can hit em along way, ill give him that, but he strikes out a ton, goes after pitches 20 feet off the plate, just looks so uncomfortable. Its something to worry about. Plus he is a sub par out fielder.
June 24, 201412 yr I think Casey Mcghee should be the first choice of Marlins all Star, to be honest, Stanton can hit em along way, ill give him that, but he strikes out a ton, goes after pitches 20 feet off the plate, just looks so uncomfortable. Its something to worry about. Plus he is a sub par out fielder. Hey look....Casey McGehee has joined the board!
June 24, 201412 yr I don't know how this is a question... Henderson Alvarez is clearly the most deserving.
June 24, 201412 yr Stanton is actually an above average defender. I know how frustrating it is to watch him K on those outside pitches but if he did not get fooled now and then he would have 50 homers by now and they probably would never pitch to him. 50 homers and 78 RBI.
June 24, 201412 yr Alvarez now in first, McGehee second, and Cishek somehow in third... wow. Ozuna getting an 0-fer too, I figured he'd get 1 joke vote at least
June 24, 201412 yr Author Ozuna getting an 0-fer too, I figured he'd get 1 joke vote at least Apparently this is a very serious poll, lol.
June 24, 201412 yr Apparently this is a very serious poll, lol. MB.com - Where we take ASG polls and quesadillas very seriously (see last page of Taco Bell thread in Outfield).
June 25, 201412 yr Seriously though, taco bell is a fixture in my life. I follow them on twitter, ig and fb. I subscribe to their newsletter, and redeemed coupons weekly that I receive in my email. If someone put a gun to my head and said baseball or taco bell, I would pick shoot me because I can't live without either. You are such a romantic!
June 25, 201412 yr I just saw the most recent ASG vote tallies. Wow, the Brewers fans have been doing some serious ballot stuffing since the last update. They managed to give Aramis Ramirez the lead now over Wright and Sandoval. At this rate, I can't imagine Stanton starting. In fact, he's probably going to fall to fifth place because the Brewers fans are continuing to boost Ryan Braun who is now only just above 150,000 votes behind. They even managed to get Jean Seguara second place despite having worse offensive numbers than Hechavarria (seriously). I'm just shocked that they haven't gotten Lucroy first place.
June 25, 201412 yr Hopefully they pull it off and get an almost all Brewers team. Then MLB may take voting away from fans like they did after 1957.
June 25, 201412 yr The fan vote should have been taken away the second the All Star game had an effect on the postseason. Another genius idea from the braintrust that is Bud Selig, the worst commissioner in the history of professional sports.
June 25, 201412 yr I think we should arrange a mass "public voting sucks" voting campaign to get Gorkys Hernandez into the ASG.
June 25, 201412 yr Selig is not the worst commissioner in sports. Come on. Truly is. -Interleague play -Evening out the league to necessitate year round interleague play -He was the v1 for the type of owner like Jeffrey Loria. He cried poor and begged for a new stadium completely funded by the public when they had a perfectly fine stadium that just needed upgrading. He let it fall into disrepair just to prove his point. All the while not disclosing his finances and fudging the numbers to make the Brewers appear much less financially sound than they actually were. -All Star game deciding homefield in the world series -Steroids era Good riddance.
June 25, 201412 yr 1 and 2, not an issue. 3, that's not as a commissioner, and thus irrelevant. 4 is an issue, but wouldn't be if the game wasn't such a joke. Take away fan voting and let the actual deserving all-stars start the game or take it away. 5 I'll let you have, but at the same time, it brought fans back to baseball after the strike, so ... double-edged sword there.
June 25, 201412 yr 1 and 2, not an issue. 3, that's not as a commissioner, and thus irrelevant. 4 is an issue, but wouldn't be if the game wasn't such a joke. Take away fan voting and let the actual deserving all-stars start the game or take it away. 5 I'll let you have, but at the same time, it brought fans back to baseball after the strike, so ... double-edged sword there. -1 and 2 are both issues. Interleague play should have never happened in the first place, and now they have run their course and just another series. Takes away from the importance of the world series -3 is an issue, because this type of thing should have kept him from being commissioner in the first place. He was also the catalyst for many future owners which negatively affect the game
June 25, 201412 yr Yep, the World Series is so unimportant now since we get to see AL teams. Why even play it? No point now.
June 25, 201412 yr Idk if Selig is the worst commisioner in sports. That Bettman guy is something awful.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.