7/25 Post Game

From Wikipedia on Mark Redman- check out the oakland A's part

Florida Marlins

Redman was a member of the 2003 World Series champion Florida Marlins, having a career year. He contributed to 14 wins and a career best 3.59 ERA. He also set a career high in strikeouts with 151.

Oakland Athletics

After the World Series, The Marlins commenced breaking up their championship team, they traded Redman to Oakland for a reliever.[7] He finished his lone season with the team with an 11-12 record and a 4.71 ERA. He'd be later traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates following the 2004 season for Jason Kendall.[8]

Why would keeping Dempster have been so bad?

Dumpster sucked when we dealt him. He wasn't even very good his All Star year. He didn't really become a good pitcher until he matured.

I forgot how boss Cliff Floyd was until I looked up his numbers. Man, he was really good for a long while. I guess in retrospect, Pavano for Floyd and Dempster for Encarnacion was pretty strong value.

The Rosenthal article is pretty good and spot on, I think. He's basically saying that the Marlins don't deserve Stanton at this point. He's right, especially since they made zero effort to offer him a contract extension.

Zero effort would imply they haven't even called or spoke to him about it- and both have been reported as happening.

It takes two to tango- what's been said is the Wolheim group and Giancarlo told the marlins he wants to talk after the season. The marlins are obliging.

The problem with that article was Rosenthals condescending tone, kinda surprising coming from him. It's like if curveball wrote the article.

Of course there's some truth to it, I can't deny that.

But the article felt like I was listening to all the misinformed baseball fans in Miami who insist the Marlins do absolutely nothing except trade people away.

The problem with that article was Rosenthals condescending tone, kinda surprising coming from him. It's like if curveball wrote the article.

Of course there's some truth to it, I can't deny that.

But the article felt like I was listening to all the misinformed baseball fans in Miami who insist the Marlins do absolutely nothing except trade people away.

He also said we flat out can't afford him. I think we all know Loria CAN afford Giancarlo...

Zero effort would imply they haven't even called or spoke to him about it- and both have been reported as happening.

It takes two to tango- what's been said is the Wolheim group and Giancarlo told the marlins he wants to talk after the season. The marlins are obliging.

You have a lot of things wrong here, including the name of Stanton's agency. Secondly, from what I've read, it isn't so much Stanton telling the Marlins that he doesn't want to talk; the press said that both sides "mutually" decided to wait until the offseason. This fact alone suggests that the Marlins aren't simply "obliging" but rather are not not interested in negotiating right now.

Furthermore, this all only applies to the 2014 season. The Marlins have made virtually no effort in prior seasons as well, which is further evidence of the Marlins botching the entire process by sitting on their hands.

He also said we flat out can't afford him. I think we all know Loria CAN afford Giancarlo...

At this point, if there is negotiation, it won't begin until the offseason. At that point (probably even now), Stanton will command more money than Loria can afford, so I think that Rosenthal is right.

The question is defining what Loria can "afford."

We know he has the entire ~25 mill bump in the national TV contract available, yearly, plus the 25 mill he didn't spend this year. Assuming that he's now happy with making up most of the remainder of the 59 mill loss from '12 by not spending the 25 mill bump for this year, he's left with the 25 mill/year on an ongoing basis.

Trout signed for essentially 24/yr, Stanton would probably be worth similar money, give or take, so can Loria "afford" to blow it all on one guy?

May be. He would certainly contribute to attendance, he will be joined by Jose again next year, plus Yelich, Ozuna and the rest of the SPs make for a pretty good core. Cishek and the BP guys? Who knows, they come and go, but many of them will probably be here next year.

7/175. Or something like that. What I'm hoping is that there will be a deal that will pay 5 mill+/yr for the naming rights to "Marlins Park" and provide some money to plug the infield holes.

Even without a naming-rights deal, even marginally better attendance throws off significant revenue from ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, etc. That also can pay for a FA or two.

Lastly, Loria has to know that he's not likely to ever see another guy like Stanton come through the system. If so, he really can't afford NOT to make a bet on Stanton if he wants to win, it may be his last chance.

Not to mention that he's probably sick and tired of twerps like Rosenthal ragging on him.

What? He doesn't. It was a throw-away attempt at humor. Although, he might be tired of the relentless local media attacks.

For Loria, in his quest for another WS it's the bottom of the 7th and he's down 5-0. He blows this chance and he'll shortly wind up in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and an 0-2 count.

Rosenthal's article made me upset too, but only because of how true it is.

I'm still holding out a glimmer, a tiny fucking glimmer of hope that we extend Stanton this offseason. But if he's gone, then I don't think I can bear to watch this team anymore until there's new ownership.

Loria has been considered the worst owner in baseball for almost 2 decades and he has never made any attempt to change this image, instead-on a yearly basis-going out of his way to hammer the point home that he indeed is the worst. Not sure why one article will all of a sudden change anything.

Rosenthal's article made me upset too, but only because of how true it is.

I'm still holding out a glimmer, a tiny f***ing glimmer of hope that we extend Stanton this offseason. But if he's gone, then I don't think I can bear to watch this team anymore until there's new ownership.

I'm about 75% confident in saying that Stanton won't be on this team next year. It's going to be Uggla-esque, except on a larger scale.

I see Stanton and his agent requesting a Trout-type deal, around that $25M/per range ... suggesed, but shorter term at 5/$125M so he can see a second monster dong deal. I see the Marlins wanting a longer commitment at lower value, something closer to Freddie Freeman's deal at 8/$160M. And I don't see either sides meeting in the middle here, simply because we waited too fucking long.

These two sides will learn, and they will learn fast, this ain't gonna work for both sides. For that reason, I see Giancarlo Stanton playing for the highest bidder next year. We will probably rape somebody at, or just after the winter meetings. I would not be surprised in the least bit if the Dodgers were the team that won this deal for many reasons. We already know he wants to be there, but there's more to it. They will be motivated to acquire him (especially if they can move Kemp) and the most capable to sign him to a deal that meets both his and their needs (probably 8/$180M ish). They also match up with the Marlins, who would probably be willing to add a young arm (Nicolino, DeSclafani, etc) to be able to acquire Dee Gordon, Corey Seager, AND Joc Pederson. That may sound like a stretch, but that is fair market value if they are able to work out an 8-year extension prior to the deal.

Thoughts?

1. Stanton has no say in where he goes.

2. Whether a deal is worked out or not, they still have him under team control through 2016

3. Not remotely comparable to Dan Uggla, who was 31 years old at the time of him being dealt

4. Dee Gordon is 26 years old and not very good. This is his first halfway respectable year and it is influenced by a Casey McGehee-level BABIP. The other two are nice prospects. But those three combined wouldnt be enough to get Stanton by himself, let alone having the Marlins add in extra pieces.

5. You saying you are "75% confident" is just kind of funny considering how wrong you are about everything 100% of the time.

And this isnt a separate point, it was just a poorly written post. And you are still a nitwit.

1. Stanton has no say in where he goes.

2. Whether a deal is worked out or not, they still have him under team control through 2016

3. Not remotely comparable to Dan Uggla, who was 31 years old at the time of him being dealt

4. Dee Gordon is 26 years old and not very good. This is his first halfway respectable year and it is influenced by a Casey McGehee-level BABIP. The other two are nice prospects. But those three combined wouldnt be enough to get Stanton by himself, let alone having the Marlins add in extra pieces.

5. You saying you are "75% confident" is just kind of funny considering how wrong you are about everything 100% of the time.

And this isnt a separate point, it was just a poorly written post. And you are still a nitwit.

You couldn't have summed that up with a picture of a mystical creature perhaps putting his hand to his cranial region?