Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins check in on Price and Porcello

Featured Replies

I mean, Chris Davis please. Stanton and Davis back to back? God have mercy on the NL.

 

 

So...many...strikeouts.

 

Please just get Michael Morse. He's the smart signing this year.

 

 

So...many...strikeouts.

 

Please just get Michael Morse. He's the smart signing this year.

 

 

I think Morse was the smart signing last year. Buying high on a player is never a smart signing.

 

 

Chris Davis coming off a .5 WAR season. Of course this is the player Wild Card gets an erection over.

 

 

So this is kind of a play on my comment above. Why would we buy high on a guy like Morse when we can buy low on Davis? We are talking about a guy who has barely had a career against a guy that probably had the best offensive season in the past decade by any left-handed batter in the game. Our rotation is good enough that I would give up Heaney for a couple years of Davis, it's worth the risk. Gattis would be fine as well because he has a lot more service time to offer, but Davis has shown he can be a special hitter in one of the toughest divisions in the game.

 

 

I think Morse was the smart signing last year. Buying high on a player is never a smart signing.

 

So this is kind of a play on my comment above. Why would we buy high on a guy like Morse when we can buy low on Davis? We are talking about a guy who has barely had a career against a guy that probably had the best offensive season in the past decade by any left-handed batter in the game. Our rotation is good enough that I would give up Heaney for a couple years of Davis, it's worth the risk. Gattis would be fine as well because he has a lot more service time to offer, but Davis has shown he can be a special hitter in one of the toughest divisions in the game.

 

That one Davis year is also an outlier. Not going to come close to happening again. Yea, pitching is good, but Heaney is one of the few talents that profiles as more than a 4th starter. I'd rather keep him.

 

 

Preach it brother! Brilliant!

 

 

 

 

I think Morse

was the smart signing last year. Buying high on a player is never a smart signing.

 

 

 

 

So this is kind of a play on my comment above. Why would we buy high on a guy like Morse when we can buy low on Davis? We are talking about a guy who has barely had a career against a guy that probably had the best offensive season in the past decade by any left-handed batter in the game. Our rotation is good enough that I would give up Heaney for a couple years of Davis, it's worth the risk. Gattis would be fine as well because he has a lot more service time to offer, but Davis has shown he can be a special hitter in one of the toughest divisions in the game.

 

 

That one Davis year is also an outlier. Not going to come close to happening again. Yea, pitching is good, but Heaney is one of the few talents that profiles as more than a 4th starter. I'd rather keep him.

 

 

 

Of course I don't expect him to come here and hit 50+ homers and drive in 130+ runs. But I do think he could show up and be a lot better than he was last year, and I'll take a .240/.350./500 season with 30/90 alllllllll day. Those are realistic numbers and worth Heaney every day.

both options suck. High strikeouts poor defense no average might as well call up philly and give them flynn or conley for howard and cash.

 

 

both options suck. High strikeouts poor defense no average might as well call up philly and give them flynn or conley for howard and cash.

 

 

 

Except Davis is 28.

Of course I don't expect him to come here and hit 50+ homers and drive in 130+ runs. But I do think he could show up and be a lot better than he was last year, and I'll take a .240/.350./500 season with 30/90 alllllllll day. Those are realistic numbers and worth Heaney every day.

 

Well put. I believe Heaney will become an above average #3 rotation guy but for the purpose of winning now the stat line you hope for placed around Stanton will be a bigger benefit now.

 

 

Of course I don't expect him to come here and hit 50+ homers and drive in 130+ runs. But I do think he could show up and be a lot better than he was last year, and I'll take a .240/.350./500 season with 30/90 alllllllll day. Those are realistic numbers and worth Heaney every day.

 

I see you're point but I still think the Marlins should be locking in a new core instead of parting with their best young players. Build something sustainable. Stanton isn't signed for one year, you know?

 

 

I see you're point but I still think the Marlins should be locking in a new core instead of parting with their best young players. Build something sustainable. Stanton isn't signed for one year, you know?

 

This is valid as well

 

 

I see you're point but I still think the Marlins should be locking in a new core instead of parting with their best young players. Build something sustainable. Stanton isn't signed for one year, you know?

 

 

 

I mean, I can't disagree. But Stanton and Chris Davis? Yikes that's scary power.

I mean, I can't disagree. But Stanton and Chris Davis? Yikes that's scary power.

 

I know, but what about in 2017 when Davis is crap and Heaney is a plus starter? How is Stanton feeling then?

 

Keep the homegrown talent, unless you can flip it for young talent at a position of more need, but not for a declining vet.

 

They should be talking to the Cubs and Red Sox about getting controllable infield help. I'm ok with giving Heaney for that.

 

 

I know, but what about in 2017 when Davis is crap and Heaney is a plus starter? How is Stanton feeling then?

 

Keep the homegrown talent, unless you can flip it for young talent at a position of more need, but not for a declining vet.

 

They should be talking to the Cubs and Red Sox about getting controllable infield help. I'm ok with giving Heaney for that.

 

 

 

In my opinion it depends on how close we are to contention. If the FO feels we are close NOW, then I'm inclined to say lets get Davis. If they think we're a few years out, I'm fine if they keep Heaney or move him for long term infield help. I actually trust them...

In my opinion it depends on how close we are to contention. If the FO feels we are close NOW, then I'm inclined to say lets get Davis. If they think we're a few years out, I'm fine if they keep Heaney or move him for long term infield help. I actually trust them...

 

I think this team is getting closer, but I just don't agree with the impulsive moves that are all in on 2015. Use you're assets wisely.

 

 

We are a very top heavy team.

 

Our entire IF needs upgrades. When you're best player in the IF is possibly Hechavarria, you have problems.

 

And our rotation is still a questionmark - how will Jose bounce back from surgery (just look at JJ)? Alvarez was great, but can he keep that up especially since he greatly outperformed his periphals? Meanwhile, is Eovaldi Nolasco 2.0 or will he pitch up to his peripherals? Is Koehler going to be 2013 instead of 2014? Is Heaney legit?

 

We definitely shouldn't be viewed as a rental away from competing.

 

 

Is Koehler going to be 2013 instead of 2014?

 

 

I know this is just nitpicking in the post but wouldn't you rather have 2014 Koehler? 2014 Koehler was pretty damn good even when factoring in the four truly bad starts he had all season. I'm not denying that there was a fair amount of luck involved, park factors helping him and so on but Koehler was a pretty fun surprise last season. Not just a surprise, but last season he pitched like a #3 starter (and looked like even with the inevitable worse year in 2015 could still be a pretty effective #4/5 pitcher). To be completely honest I'm far more worried about Eovaldi/Heaney keeping their spots in the rotation next season than I am of Koehler. But that is mainly because I remember that when his stuff was working last season, he pitched like one of the best pitchers on the staff. His biggest issue was that when he left his stuff in the zone it got pummeled and some games he pitched got out of hand in a real hurry.

 

But in regards to the topic at hand you are right. Far too many variables to say we're a rental away. I don't see a Price/Porcello/Shields guaranteeing us at least a Wild Card spot next season when our infield is so utterly disgusting right now. Adding Michael Morse and replacing McGehee with a 3B not an obvious candidate to suck (which won't happen because Comeback Player of the Year blah blah blah) would be better alternatives to making this team competitive going into next season. I've given up arguing over Hechavarria because I know he'll be here forever and I like the chances with a Dietrich/Hernandez at 2B better than the trade or free agent market so those are the things I think the team should be doing to improve.

 

 

That's what I mean. Koehler was good last year, but he was barely a passable #5 in 2013. Which is going to show up next year?

 

 

That's what I mean. Koehler was good last year, but he was barely a passable #5 in 2013. Which is going to show up next year?

 

 

He always seemed to do better the second year in a league. I think last year is more resembles who he will be.

 

Now just a suggestion stanton is signed. Could we trade Mcgehee? He was comeback player of the year last year. I am sure someone would give us something of value for him.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.