Jennings likely to remain manager

In what sense? I don't see much of a difference, but then again, I don't see much of a difference with most managers.

I don't have any specific incidents in mind, but I feel like he has generally been better and managing the bullpen and putting the hitters in more favorable match-ups.

I don't think he's been using Cishek well, though. For how much he's been struggling, Jennings still seems to throw him into the fire (like he did on Sunday).

For what it's worth, I don't mind DJ. I actually hope he stays just because I wish the organization would stop firing managers.

^^^this....he's pretty much a manager....not a great one, not a bad one...just a manager.  i'm of the "managers don't make much of an impact overall" mindset anyway.  there might be a few exceptions like Maddon in TB but the cubs are doing about the same as the Rays this year without him so who knows.  it just irritates me we're paying red and ozzie when that money could be used towards upgrading the lineup and it's a constant turnstile at the mgr position.

^^^this....he's pretty much a manager....not a great one, not a bad one...just a manager.  i'm of the "managers don't make much of an impact overall" mindset anyway.  there might be a few exceptions like Maddon in TB but the cubs are doing about the same as the Rays this year without him so who knows.  it just irritates me we're paying red and ozzie when that money could be used towards upgrading the lineup and it's a constant turnstile at the mgr position.

Where would the Cubs likely be without Maddon this year, though? You say the Cubs are doing the same as the Rays like it's a bad thing - both teams are in good spots right now. Cash may have learned a good bit from Maddon, who knows?

I don't think the players ever didn't respect him. They may have questioned the move at first but it was never a personal problem with Jennings. And once they got a few wins out of the way they realized they were adults and were gonna try to win regardless of who was manager. Like you seriously could have put a six year old kid as manager and it's not like these guys wouldn't try to win. They know the talent they have and will aim for every win they can get.

With that said, I think that besides the gratuitous double switching, DJ seems to be making better moves because I think he's purposely trying to manage a little differently than Redmond. The players are the same so if you used the exact same moves as Red you'd hardly get different results.

So I strongly believe DJ has made a concerted effort to make different moves hoping for different results. And that's why they tried Stanton at cleanup, Yelich third, the pitcher batting eighth, Ramos being the set closer, Capps setting up, Dietrich back up, the semi platoon of Bour and Baker, and even the damn double switching.

I don't necessarily think Jennings is a managerial genius but his efforts to make different moves has paid off and is making him look better than he is.

I don't think the players ever didn't respect him. They may have questioned the move at first but it was never a personal problem with Jennings. And once they got a few wins out of the way they realized they were adults and were gonna try to win regardless of who was manager. Like you seriously could have put a six year old kid as manager and it's not like these guys wouldn't try to win. They know the talent they have and will aim for every win they can get.

With that said, I think that besides the gratuitous double switching, DJ seems to be making better moves because I think he's purposely trying to manage a little differently than Redmond. The players are the same so if you used the exact same moves as Red you'd hardly get different results.

So I strongly believe DJ has made a concerted effort to make different moves hoping for different results. And that's why they tried Stanton at cleanup, Yelich third, the pitcher batting eighth, Ramos being the set closer, Capps setting up, Dietrich back up, the semi platoon of Bour and Baker, and even the damn double switching.

I don't necessarily think Jennings is a managerial genius but his efforts to make different moves has paid off and is making him look better than he is.

I have a tough time giving DJ credit for a lot of those moves when comparing him to Redmond. 

It was tough for Redmond to bat Yelich third because Yelich looked like absolute crap earlier in the year. Also, it's tough to analyze the value of an order of the lineup. That's just looking good right now because Stanton is on one of his ridiculous hot streaks. When Stanton is playing like a god, the manager looks like much more of a genius.

The Bour/Baker platoon is only happening because of Morse's "injury." Morse was hitting bombs in BP yesterday for what it's worth. I wonder how "injured" he really is. He's like the new Saltalamacchia in the sense that his contract just seems like a mistake. 

DJ shouldn't get any credit for Dietrich being back up. That's an organizational thing, not a managerial thing, and the only reason Dietrich even played last night was because Prado is injured. 

The main thing to criticize a manager for is the bullpen, imo.

While the bullpen has looked better under Jennings, it's difficult to fault Redmond for that. 

#1 - Redmond didn't have the luxury of having Capps on the team. Capps started the year in the minors to work on his illegal delivery. 

#2 - The Ramos thing is coincidence. That was going to happen anyway. Ramos' first save was in LA with Redmond managing, and DJ took over shortly after that game. Cishek had already been taken out of the closer's role when Jennings started managing, and it was only a matter of time before Ramos took over as that's usually how those things work. Guy who gets the first save gets the next chance and has the opportunity to run with the job. I guess it's cool that Jennings stated right away that Ramos was the guy and that there wouldn't be a committee so that was good.

With that said, he's also put Cishek in high leverage situations that are just as meaningful, if not more meaningful, than closing situations so that kind of negates any input he might've had in the closing change. 

Capps/Ramos have been the two main changes that have a difference under Jennings, and it's just tough to blame Redmond for that for reasons stated above. 

I guess you could say that Redmond stuck with Cishek for too long as closer, but Cishek had been very good the last two years in that role. Most managers would have done the same thing there, especially with every other member of the bullpen struggling too except for Ramos.

I think Ramos had an inconsistent role earlier in the year despite being the best reliever on the team early on so I blame Redmond for that. But remember, Cishek/Morris/Dunn were the three main relievers last year and they all struggled. Everybody was loving Morris last year, and I still think he's better than he's performed. Dunn has gotten better lately due to how he's been used now that Carter Capps is on the team. Dyson has helped too. 

And, at the end of the day, the results have mostly been the same actually. It's not as if the team has done great under Jennings. They're basically doing the same thing they were doing for Redmond in terms of wins and losses. 

Redmond is gone now and I hope they give DJ more time to turn it around. 30+ games isn't enough to evaluate a manager. 

For what it's worth, I don't mind DJ. I actually hope he stays just because I wish the organization would stop firing managers.

The problem isn't that they keep firing managers. The problem is that they keep hiring bad ones or rather those who aren't the best fit for what the organization needs.

The problem isn't that they keep firing managers. The problem is that they keep hiring bad ones or rather those who aren't the best fit for what the organization needs.

The problem is that they overvalue managers and now they're paying two different managers to not even manage the team. Managing a baseball team isn't rocket science. Just stick with a guy. 

The problem is that they overvalue managers and now they're paying two different managers to not even manage the team. Managing a baseball team isn't rocket science. Just stick with a guy. 

There's more to it than you seem to acknowledge. Also, several of the people they hired and dismissed quickly weren't good fits for personal reasons (Girardi, Ozzie). If you put those aside, the Marlins start to look much more typical in terms of changeover.

There's more to it than you seem to acknowledge. Also, several of the people they hired and dismissed quickly weren't good fits for personal reasons (Girardi, Ozzie). If you put those aside, the Marlins start to look much more typical in terms of changeover.

You keep saying that certain guys aren't good fits, but fail to mention why. Every time people talk badly about managers, it's usually something that can't be quantified. 

Of the managers who have been let go, Ozzie Guillen stuck with Heath Bell for way too long, and that was partially the front office's fault, I bet. 

Girardi did fine and continues to do fine. 

It's quite an overpaid job. The proof is in this thread, as many fans are now content with the guy who had no managerial experience before getting this job. 

I'm saying that in the cases of Girardi and Ozzie at least, they weren't good fits for the front office mentality, particularly Loria. They were also Loria's hand-picked guys, which makes it even more crazy.

Loria fired Girardi because he was insubordinate and insulted him. Loria likes yes-men, so that hiring was not a good fit.

Ozzie's fate likely extended beyond Heath Bell or the disappointment of the other 2012 signings. I bet if Ozzie did not insult the entire Cuban community, his stint with the Marlins lasts longer than one season despite the firesale.

I have a tough time giving DJ credit for a lot of those moves when comparing him to Redmond. 

It was tough for Redmond to bat Yelich third because Yelich looked like absolute crap earlier in the year. Also, it's tough to analyze the value of an order of the lineup. That's just looking good right now because Stanton is on one of his ridiculous hot streaks. When Stanton is playing like a god, the manager looks like much more of a genius.

The Bour/Baker platoon is only happening because of Morse's "injury." Morse was hitting bombs in BP yesterday for what it's worth. I wonder how "injured" he really is. He's like the new Saltalamacchia in the sense that his contract just seems like a mistake. 

DJ shouldn't get any credit for Dietrich being back up. That's an organizational thing, not a managerial thing, and the only reason Dietrich even played last night was because Prado is injured. 

The main thing to criticize a manager for is the bullpen, imo.

While the bullpen has looked better under Jennings, it's difficult to fault Redmond for that. 

#1 - Redmond didn't have the luxury of having Capps on the team. Capps started the year in the minors to work on his illegal delivery. 

#2 - The Ramos thing is coincidence. That was going to happen anyway. Ramos' first save was in LA with Redmond managing, and DJ took over shortly after that game. Cishek had already been taken out of the closer's role when Jennings started managing, and it was only a matter of time before Ramos took over as that's usually how those things work. Guy who gets the first save gets the next chance and has the opportunity to run with the job. I guess it's cool that Jennings stated right away that Ramos was the guy and that there wouldn't be a committee so that was good.

With that said, he's also put Cishek in high leverage situations that are just as meaningful, if not more meaningful, than closing situations so that kind of negates any input he might've had in the closing change. 

Capps/Ramos have been the two main changes that have a difference under Jennings, and it's just tough to blame Redmond for that for reasons stated above. 

I guess you could say that Redmond stuck with Cishek for too long as closer, but Cishek had been very good the last two years in that role. Most managers would have done the same thing there, especially with every other member of the bullpen struggling too except for Ramos.

I think Ramos had an inconsistent role earlier in the year despite being the best reliever on the team early on so I blame Redmond for that. But remember, Cishek/Morris/Dunn were the three main relievers last year and they all struggled. Everybody was loving Morris last year, and I still think he's better than he's performed. Dunn has gotten better lately due to how he's been used now that Carter Capps is on the team. Dyson has helped too. 

And, at the end of the day, the results have mostly been the same actually. It's not as if the team has done great under Jennings. They're basically doing the same thing they were doing for Redmond in terms of wins and losses. 

Redmond is gone now and I hope they give DJ more time to turn it around. 30+ games isn't enough to evaluate a manager. 

Did @dim hijack Erick's account.  Damn, that was a Dim like books worth of a post.  LOL